Author Topic: Thanksgiving ... there are still those things for which to be thankful.  (Read 1370 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Name one.  Give thanks for it or them.

And, Libertas, if you get violent about this, I will come to your house.   ::saywhat::    ;D

Dear Lord,

Thank you for your grace and mercy in all things; delivering us from evil and forgiving our trespasses and grant us the grace to forgive others who have trespassed against us.  And Lord, in the event we need them, grant us a seeing eye, a steady hand, and a wise mind.

I am thankful that my family is still healthy and doing fairly well.  I ask for special dispensation for my ailing mother.  I am grateful my husband still has a good job and, therefore, we are able to look after ourselves fairly well.

We have friends, Dear Lord, for which we are extremely grateful and upon which we will bond further with in the future.

I am grateful that we are relatively healthy and doing well in that regard, and pray for strength and forbearance should that change for the worse.

And, Dear Lord, thank you for his group of people who share my hopes and dreams, who provide fellowship -- provident and otherwise -- in a hostile, earthly world.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 03:42:18 AM by Pandora »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Thanksgiving ... there are still those things for which to be thankful.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 07:28:52 AM »
Amen
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 07:54:50 AM »
Moi?  Violent?   ::angel::   ::evil::   ;D

With my family (IAL included), never.  Others?   ::evil::  (Can't hold me to that!)   ;)

Name one...   ::thinking::

I am thankful that while this nation may have fallen out of God's favor, there are many people across the land who remain faithful to God and try to do what is good and right and His Blessings shall flow to us in our time of need as we strive to navigate the difficult days ahead of us.  May the Lord Bless and keep us all, Amen.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 11:04:31 AM »
It seems more hollow this year than any other before it - to enumerate those things for which I'm thankful. But hollow or not, there are many things - things that I have allowed to slip from my immediate appreciation as my mind has been occupied with dismay. Things such as...

A good and decent wife.
Children that are the jewels in my crown.
Good and true friends, old and newer.
An alert mind, and relative health and strength.
Abundant food on the table.
A nice roof over our heads.
A measure of prosperity even in hard times for many.
Lingering liberty still manifest in spite of those who would crush it.
Countrymen who love America and liberty as I do.
A Lord and friend in Christ Jesus, who gave all for me, so that I may have the promise of eternal life in Him.

For these things and more, Lord, may it ever be in my mind to cherish them and not take them for granted. May I always remember, even when tempted not to, that all good things flow from Your hand and Your grace, and that it is only by You and Your sacrifice on my behalf that I am worthy of anything but death.

Amen, and happy Thanksgiving to my good friends here.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 01:32:15 PM »
That is a great list, IDO, and we must not stop praying for our country. One of my favorite stories is in Genesis, when God informs Abraham that he was going to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah. And Abraham intervened, pleading with God that there might yet be 50 righteous men there and God relented. And even then Abraham still interceded and eventually God agreed to spare the city for ten righteous souls.  The bad news is that in the end those were not found and only Lot and his daughters escaped.  But, the lesson for us to intercede is important.  We have much to be thankful of and much to fear. Let us intersperse our thanks with pleas for our nation.

Hebrews 18 17 And the Lord said, Shall I hide from Abraham that thing which I do;

18 Seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him?

19 For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the Lord, to do justice and judgment; that the Lord may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.

20 And the Lord said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous;

21 I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know.

22 And the men turned their faces from thence, and went toward Sodom: but Abraham stood yet before the Lord.

23 And Abraham drew near, and said, Wilt thou also destroy the righteous with the wicked?

24 Peradventure there be fifty righteous within the city: wilt thou also destroy and not spare the place for the fifty righteous that are therein?

25 That be far from thee to do after this manner, to slay the righteous with the wicked: and that the righteous should be as the wicked, that be far from thee: Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?

26 And the Lord said, If I find in Sodom fifty righteous within the city, then I will spare all the place for their sakes.

27 And Abraham answered and said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the Lord, which am but dust and ashes:

28 Peradventure there shall lack five of the fifty righteous: wilt thou destroy all the city for lack of five? And he said, If I find there forty and five, I will not destroy it.

29 And he spake unto him yet again, and said, Peradventure there shall be forty found there. And he said, I will not do it for forty's sake.

30 And he said unto him, Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak: Peradventure there shall thirty be found there. And he said, I will not do it, if I find thirty there.

31 And he said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the Lord: Peradventure there shall be twenty found there. And he said, I will not destroy it for twenty's sake.

32 And he said, Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak yet but this once: Peradventure ten shall be found there. And he said, I will not destroy it for ten's sake.

33 And the Lord went his way, as soon as he had left communing with Abraham: and Abraham returned unto his place.

“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline Magnum

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 02:20:15 PM »
I am Thankful for all of you here. You helped me as I am getting through this past election.

May the Lord Yeshua Bless you and your Families.  All I can add to the wonderful prayers expressed is from the Bible; from one of my favorite passages: Philippians 4: 6-7

6 Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. 7 Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.

Gods Blessings and Thank-fullness to/for you All!

« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 02:28:42 PM by Magnum »
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your GOD will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 09:51:19 AM »
  I'm thankful for the friends around me and my family,And it's one less day left to his term in office. ::curtsy4::
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 10:22:25 AM »
I'm trying my hand at a deep-fried turkey for the very first time today. I've read all the warnings and watched all the youtube videos of exploding turkeys and home conflagrations, so I'll be careful. I'm very anxious to see if it is as wonderful as everyone says.

We do have very much to be thankful for, here; now. And even if this government drives our beloved nation into oblivion, we still have lived the formative and (for most of us) longest years of our lives blessed by a residual of the character and spirit that made America the place that is has been to us.

It is the threat of the removal of that blessing that stabs so deeply. But first, we were blessed.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving day everyone.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 11:29:31 AM »
The Apostle Paul declares in Ephesians 6:10-17
" Finally, be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground and after you have done everything to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place and with your feet filled with the readiness that comes from the Gospel of Peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the Sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God."

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 05:46:27 PM »
I'm having a hard time right now being thankful and not wallowing.

My deep-fried turkey experience has been utterly thwarted by a mild snowstorm at the exact wrong moment. Just as I was about to start heating the oil, it started to sleet, which turned to snow. Of course, you can't deep fry these things indoors or in the garage for safety reasons, and you can't do it in precipitation either, just for the splatter factor.

So, we waited for about 1.5 hours to see if a window of opportunity would present itself, and the snow just got worse.

Fortunately, we had a spiral-cut ham in the fridge, so the turkey will wait for tomorrow (when nobody's here to eat it), and we're having ham for Thanksgiving dinner.

I'm whining, yes. I've been looking forward to that bird all week long. Bought the fryer just for the occasion.

But I guess I'm thankful that I live in a place and have the resources to substitute a wonderful ham for a turkey on the shortest of notice.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 07:02:49 PM »
My little nephews are in town for Thanksgiving. I am glad to see them. The 6 year old proudly recited his ability to count to 100, and then all the powers of 10 beyond that up to a billion, and I couldn't help but hear this little voice reciting huge numbers and thinking that's the debt he has already been saddled with by the generations that came before him.

And apparently we who feel a deep sense of shame in this are definitely the minority.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 07:02:57 PM »

My deep-fried turkey experience has been utterly thwarted by a mild snowstorm at the exact wrong moment. Just as I was about to start heating the oil, it started to sleet, which turned to snow. Of course, you can't deep fry these things indoors or in the garage for safety reasons, and you can't do it in precipitation either, just for the splatter factor.

So, we waited for about 1.5 hours to see if a window of opportunity would present itself, and the snow just got worse.

Fortunately, we had a spiral-cut ham in the fridge, so the turkey will wait for tomorrow (when nobody's here to eat it), and we're having ham for Thanksgiving dinner.

I'm whining, yes. I've been looking forward to that bird all week long. Bought the fryer just for the occasion.

But I guess I'm thankful that I live in a place and have the resources to substitute a wonderful ham for a turkey on the shortest of notice.

Turkey or ham doesn't matter,it's family the food is window dressing. Besides I like ham.
 Filippo Mazzie

hemm

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2012, 07:28:29 PM »
Our Troops. (including my 2 Son's)

Our Troops deployed. God Help them because 90% have ZERO faith in zero.

God. Family. County.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2012, 08:15:34 PM »
Way too many things to list.
At my prayer before dinner, I marveled at the bounty that God had provided.

Keep in mind, I am far from rich but even with that I have been blessed way beyond anything I deserve

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 09:04:53 PM »
Way too many things to list.
At my prayer before dinner, I marveled at the bounty that God had provided.

Keep in mind, I am far from rich but even with that I have been blessed way beyond anything I deserve

If you didn't deserve it you wouldn't have it. God Bless.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2012, 09:05:29 PM »
Our Troops. (including my 2 Son's)

Our Troops deployed. God Help them because 90% have ZERO faith in zero.

God. Family. County.

When do the boys come home again?
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2012, 12:27:25 AM »

Sorry about the snow-fail.  Cook the turkey soon again another day.  There will be folks to share it with you.

I hope you said thanks (I know you did) for that which you had in its stead.

I, on the other hand, am quite jubilant for the food we made and the company with whom we enjoyed it -- and I'm a little tipsy-typing right now -- and we played "Serernity" afterward (they'd never seen it) and were rewarded with their enjoyment of that as well.  Sent 'em home with the "Firefly" series.

Did I fat-finger anyt'ing ?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2012, 08:36:06 AM »
I'm trying my hand at a deep-fried turkey for the very first time today.

I did the exact same thing yesterday. It turned out very good if I do say so myself. My limited culinary talents didn't hinder me a bit.

No matter how many family members and strays show up, we never have enough people to devour all of the food.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2012, 09:58:36 AM »

I did the exact same thing yesterday. It turned out very good if I do say so myself. My limited culinary talents didn't hinder me a bit.

No matter how many family members and strays show up, we never have enough people to devour all of the food.

Read the following post. It didn't happen. Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to sit out in single digit windchill for an hour just so I can carve it and put it into freezer bags, or whether I should just roast is and do the same. So disappointed, even as I am grateful.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2012, 12:58:21 PM »

Read the following post. It didn't happen. Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to sit out in single digit windchill for an hour just so I can carve it and put it into freezer bags, or whether I should just roast is and do the same. So disappointed, even as I am grateful.

I understood that your was postponed and I'm sorry to hear that. Ours turned out great, though and I'm not really a cook. If I can do it, I'm confident you can.

At least you had quality time with the family. I enjoyed that more than my accomplishment.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson