Author Topic: What should our individual fiscal strategy be?  (Read 1469 times)

Offline radioman

• A Regular
What should our individual fiscal strategy be?
« on: December 01, 2012, 02:00:23 PM »
Ok - you have to take it as a 'given' that our economy is not going to ever be what it used to be, so how should we adapt our strategies to protect ourselves?

These are days when one should be concerned with the RETURN OF THEIR MONEY, NOT THE RETURN ON THEIR MONEY.

IOW, in the past, I always rated the different investment vehicles according to the ROI (Return on my Investment), but today that is not the case. I'm mostly concerned with where can I put my assets so that the government can't steal them.

So,

No one really knows what to do with certainty.

No budget passed for three years. We are going off the tax cliff. Businesses can't plan, can't hire, can't expand, because they have no clue as to their tax liability in succeeding years.

With a corrupt regime such as this one, anything, including blatant asset confiscation is always possible.

Commitments to the bond market are a bit late since interest rates are near "0" for Fed Funds, and short treasuries. Current market betting suggests the 30 year US bond will drop to around 2%!!! Can you believe a 10 year treasury at 1.68%?

Now would you lend money long term for 2%?

No, nor would I.

How many retirees have worked a lifetime, accumulated say,..........$1 million in assets and can afford no risk, but their million will only develop around $20,000 a year in income, with the tax rates on that income going up!! Just a few years back, one million in treasuries would generate, $50,000, $70,000 annually and more. Many retirees are being FORCED to go back to work and to lower their standard of living.

Think about insurance companies which are required to keep a percentage of their assets in treasuries. Their rates for policies are based on the expected return of their treasury issues. And then banks, same requirement.

Want to know why banks are not making loans?  There's your answer!

The Fed thief, Ben Bernanke, is buying trillions of treasuries to drive down rates with IOUs. money created from thin air! How long can this go on?? His original design was to reinflate the economy driving up prices, especially homes, which would address the default and bankruptcy issue. His maneuver failed, as did the quantitative easing ploy.

It will go on until THE MARKETPLACE stops the federal government by lenders refusing to show up at treasury auctions. At that point or before, they will focus on other assets such as the trillions in 401k, IRAs, Keoghs, SEPs, Roths.

Expect a move to attempt nationalization of these retirement assets!!

These are perilous financial times.

What has history taught us?

- Own stocks of solid companies paying dividends which are generally assured to continue
- rental property
- land
- a low profile profitable business
- have NO debt
- a few treasuries, even though they yield little
- tax frees for those in the high income brackets
- gold, silver coins, etc.

One MUST be diversified!

The asset allocation of the above is predicated entirely on EACH individual. No two will be the same.

This last bullet list is precisely how people survived in all the countries that failed financially. Europe is littered with such examples, as well as Central and South America! Remember Weimer Republic Germany and their hyperinflation which gave rise to Adolph Hitler?

Long term plans cannot be made. Only short term, with provisions for instant revision!

What am I missing? What other strategies should we be using NOW?

TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: What should our individual fiscal strategy be?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 02:32:00 PM »
What has history taught us?

- Own stocks of solid companies paying dividends which are generally assured to continue
- rental property
- land
- a low profile profitable business
- have NO debt
- a few treasuries, even though they yield little
- tax frees for those in the high income brackets
- gold, silver coins, etc.

As to continuing dividends, Costco special dividend to beat fiscal cliff this year, to the tune of $3 billion, to sidestep the expected tax hike on capital gains, and they're not the only one to do so.  If taxes do go up, companies will not continue to pay dividends; it's happened before.

We're putting what's left of our money (after taxes and penalties -- I AM SO PISSED!) into land, equipment to work it, and metals of ALL kinds -- no paper assets of any sort.

Gunsmith has and will continue his small gunsmithing business; not exactly low-profile considering the BATF, but he doesn't sell, he repairs.  He will work his full-time job as long as he can.

Your mileage may vary, of course, but these are our plans.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 03:09:15 PM »
The low profile profitable business..... Describes what I'm trying to do. Any expansion will only be considered if it renders at least 75 percent in cash. Creative partnerships within the community. Do more barter than in the past.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 04:00:27 PM »
Gold, silver and lead will always hold their value, most all else is perishable.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 05:27:05 PM »
Between Gold and Silver, I prefer Silver because it is less political and comes in smaller denominations. Silver Oz American Eagle - $34-37 as opposed to $1700 or more for the 1 Oz Gold coin. It seems it would be a whole lot easier to use when the present dollar gets replaced with a 'new' dollar, where they will replace your dollars at the exchange rate of 10 cents on the dollar.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 06:31:09 PM »
Yes, retain value, paper can be whacked, harder to confiscate PMs, when I get my IRA money I might buy more (I like silver too, more convertible for day-to-day items)...I might experience another unfortunate boating accident, oh well.
 ;)

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 07:19:53 PM »
You know, like Ann Barnhardt said, all this money now
Is just 1's and 0's, I want as much of my assets
In physical items that can't be erased with
The stroke of mouse.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 08:03:59 PM »

Jeepers, I misread that last sentence.

Yeah, just tonight I've been looking at little parcels within a one hour drive of the big city.  I project the last of the white flight's coming.  Or not, it will still retain its value better than paper.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 10:37:39 PM »

Jeepers, I misread that last sentence.

Yeah, just tonight I've been looking at little parcels within a one hour drive of the big city.  I project the last of the white flight's coming.  Or not, it will still retain its value better than paper.

Living in a city is fiscal suicide.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 11:53:47 PM »
I'm intrigued by the idea of small silver currency such as silver dimes or silver quarters.
Much easier to convert to goods than a gold coin worth $1800

Your thoughts?

charlesoakwood

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 12:50:17 AM »

Apmex prices seem pretty close to spot.  Big cities will have at least one store front dealer with similar offerings.   My eyes are attracted to those Eagles but old coins could be very practical.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 07:36:19 AM »
I'm intrigued by the idea of small silver currency such as silver dimes or silver quarters.

Your thoughts?

"FerFal" is an Argentinian (since fled to Ireland (?)) who wrote about his experiences there as the country collapsed.  He recommended a bag of small silver baubles -- rings, bracelets, chains.  In my experience, such authentic items are always marked as "Sterling Silver" somewhere on the piece.

Where would one procure silver dimes or quarters these days?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 07:44:49 AM »

Your thoughts?

Yes.

But each has its benefits.  Gold can lock in substantial value for down range or even for your heirs, silver will be more exchangable for day to day items.  I like rounds, get 20 1 oz rounds and they come in a plastic tube.  The old coins (junk silver) is good too, I have a fair amount of that from my coin collecting over the years. APMEX can have good deals on those too.  I see the rolls of quarters has a markup of a little over 5% if you get 5 or more, not a bad deal and the prices have pulled back some.  If they get manipulated down to $30/oz or less I will be buying a big load.  Remember though, the issue with silver coins is the weights are not nice even fractions, making conversions (especially in a post-apocalyptic world) challenging.  Make a laminated index card of the various weights/%'s and keep it with you.

The numbers on this site look accurate -

http://cointrackers.com/blog/1/silver-content-us-coins/

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 07:45:01 AM »
Libertas, that's a pretty good site.
Lots of information
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 07:52:12 AM by AmericanPatriot »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 07:46:32 AM »

Your thoughts?

"FerFal" is an Argentinian (since fled to Ireland (?)) who wrote about his experiences there as the country collapsed.  He recommended a bag of small silver baubles -- rings, bracelets, chains.  In my experience, such authentic items are always marked as "Sterling Silver" somewhere on the piece.

Where would one procure silver dimes or quarters these days?

Coin shops typically have much higher markups.  I have done well with APMEX.

http://www.apmex.com/Category/503/Silver.aspx

charlesoakwood

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 12:07:49 PM »

The probability of junk coins becoming commonly used in a currency loss situation is high.  Perhaps "practice trading" (say, a kitchen table buy sell game) with various coins should be part of one's prepping routine.

Tags: Just commodities
   "Fiscal cliff" - "Walk Away" Gaining Steam
   Time to Move On From the GOP?
U.S. Embassies under attack -- UPDATES
Obama Regime Sends US Troops to Jordan/Syria Border!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 08:41:45 PM »
In a barter economy it will be a more pure form of capitalism, what the market demand will be value wise will vary wildly from locality  to locality, and the more desperate will be preyed upon by those with the goods and the means to protect them. A fair deal will be a matter of perspective.