Author Topic: "Fiscal cliff" - "Walk Away" Gaining Steam  (Read 15721 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
"Fiscal cliff" - "Walk Away" Gaining Steam
« on: December 02, 2012, 12:38:54 PM »
Charles Krauthammer calls for it.

"It's not just a bad deal, this is really an insulting deal. What Geithner offered ....  This idea -- there are not only no cuts in this, there's an increase in spending with a new stimulus. I mean, this is almost unheard of.

Also proposed is to do away with the Debt Ceiling altogether.

The Walk Away/Let It Burn option is growing on people. One cautionary note, though: This will provoke a serious constitutional crisis and may undo the Republic. So a soft Let it Burn could turn into a genuine collapse of the Republic.

Obama is a tyrant. If Republicans do not lift the debt ceiling, it is perfectly obvious what he will do, as he's argued for it before: Like Putin, he will begin unilaterally asserting power he doesn't have.

And what will be the recourse? Court, I suppose. Impeachment, sure, but Democrats will block conviction. So whether or not the President can suddenly assert sweeping power over the purse -- sweeping aside the last real check on his power granted to the House of Representatives -- will depend on the vote of Justice Go Along to Get Along Roberts.

Just something to keep in mind. Tyrants are always looking for pretexts to rule without any check.

Republic?  ::snort::  WHAT Republic?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Re: "Fiscal cliff" - "Walk Away" Gaining Steam
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 01:05:49 PM »
The Ohio Republican said he told Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner “you can’t be serious,” when the lead White House negotiator presented the plan to GOP congressional leaders last week.

He called the administration proposal that included $1.6 trillion in tax increases, $400 billion in unspecified tax cuts and a bevy of additional stimulus spending, “nonsense.”

... charging the White House with proposing more in new spending than they have offered in upfront cuts to GOP leaders.

The White House “has responded with virtually nothing, they’ve actually asked for more revenue than they’ve been asking for the whole time,” Boehner said.

“At the end of the year, they wanted to extend unemployment benefits, they wanted a new stimulus program for infrastructure, they wanted to extend some other tax breaks and all of this new stimulus spending would literally be more than the spending cuts that he was willing to put on the table,” Boehner added.

... “What we did is put forward a very comprehensive, very carefully designed mix of savings and tax rates to help us put us back on a path to stabilizing our debt, fixing our debt and living within our means.”

Geithner instead sought to put pressure on GOP lawmakers to accept tax rate increases on the wealthy. “There's not going to be an agreement without rates going up,” he said.

I see what they're doing here, what the Left always does; instead of shrinking away when they meet opposition -- like the Republicans usually do -- they're pouring it on.  They retreat not an inch, they increase their demands.

Walk away.  Let it burn.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 01:11:48 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/why-obama-pushing-stimulus-fiscal-cliff-deal-video-033547060.html

Why does Obongo want yet *another* "stimulus"?

The argument in favor of such stimulus? The tax measures, at least, could minimize the drag on the economy from Mr. Obama's proposed tax increases on the wealthy.

“The increases in the top two income tax brackets would put a drag on consumption, so I think, from the Obama point of view, the spending or tax cuts are designed to offset that drag to consumption,” says Michael Brown, an economist at Wells Fargo Securities in Charlotte, N.C.

Spending.  Spending, spending.  Spendingspendingspendingspending .... to infinity and beyooooooooooond.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 01:51:37 PM »

If Republicans walk they will walk in support of the Constitution.  If they do not walk the Constitution is surrendered.  Walking will draw a clear line between the Democrats and the Republicans.  That will a good and clear story to tell.  Americans will understand the choice.

Let it burn. Long live the Republic.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 02:27:17 PM »
   Grab a beer and watch it burn and enjoy it.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 04:15:13 PM »
The script is already written, there will be agreement to punt into the new congress, the new unencumbered congress will basically bend over and grab its ankles settling for a deal that gives the dem's 99% of what they want and the Pubbies 1% of what they want (which isn't worth a damn) and Boehner & McConnell will hail it as the only option available to them blah blah blah...

They will not walk, they will give and give generously...tis the season.

Too bad though, should let it burn and let all the automatic triggers hit.

Doesn't matter though, Obamessiah is going to raise the debt ceiling by dictate, his spending authority recognizes no controlling legal authority!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 05:08:24 PM »
It's all setting the stage for Order 66.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 05:25:31 PM »
The Great Jedi Purge [Order 66]

Yeah, in the end evil is defeated, too bad all those people have to die getting there though.

Oh well...

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 10:12:02 PM »
In a sane world, Judah and his Maccabees would come in and slaughter them all. Happy Chanukah!
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 12:33:43 AM »

Andrew Jackson said the Maccabees was one of the world's greatest military books.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 12:48:56 AM »
I doubt if our Pubbies have the nerve to walk away
Any talk at this point is posturing

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 10:16:57 AM »
Anything short of these three options will not have my support.

A.  Yes, walk away.  I don't consider it the end of the world of our deficit is cut to $700 billion from $1.2 trillion.

B.  $1 tax increases for $10 spending cuts, my personal favorite.  REAL cuts as in NOW.  $100 billion tax increase, $1.2 trillion cut in spending, our budget is balanced.

C.  Simpson-Bowles baby.  Pass it.  Let the whining of the Pussy in Chief commence. 

All three of these ideas our Pussy in Chief have supported at one time or another, when demagoguing for the stupid.  Call his bluff.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 10:56:17 AM »

If every Arab in the Middle East laid down his weapon, there would be peace in the Middle East. If every Israeli laid down his (or her) weapon, Israel would be annihilated.

Likewise, if government stopped all spending, the deficit problem would be solved. If government confiscated the gross annual income of every individual in the country making over $66,193, the deficit would destroy our country.

In a sane world, politicians would cut every last dollar of government spending they could in order to bring financial order back to an entitlement-happy society. After government’s debilitating spending habits were slashed or restructured, only then would the conversation shift to taxes and revenue to make up the gap.

Of course, this isn’t a sane world. It’s the world in which it’s Israel’s fault for every ill in Palestine and Republicans are evil and stupid for wanting to cut spending.

Link

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 11:41:40 AM »
Frankly My Dear, I Don't Give a Damn - Gone with the Wind (6/6) Movie CLIP (1939) HD

Clark Gable - Portraying the American People

Vivien Leigh - Portraying useless politicians.

!

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 03:19:26 PM »
walk away?

I wish

won't happen

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 04:25:44 PM »
Ok here is what we need to do:

Let the repubs make their offer
Let the demos make their offer
Submit both offers to an arbiter
Designate Obama as the arbiter.
Done deal.
TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 06:33:08 PM »
$100 billion tax increase......

F*&^ that. The working (productive) people are taxed out the ass already. Revenue is NOT the problem. Spending IS.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 07:10:56 PM »
The only avenue for obama to gut our military is to allow us to fall off the cliff. He wants it, he wants the extra taxes and he wants more stimulas to pass on to our kids so he can kick the can down the road.

Its why the libs made such a idiotic offer....because if they didn't, they are afraid boehner will cave. It's perfect for the libs....Boehner doesn't cave and the cuts are automatic and down goes our military.....Boehner caves and the consolation prize id 1.6 trillion in taxes.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 07:33:14 PM »
Let it burn, but make sure everyone knows, far and wide, who lit the match. All we could do was step away and let them take responsibility for the fire they have demanded.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 07:34:56 PM »
We're at a point where we have no real choice but to let things fall apart, and even then the probability of success is not great. Fever is one of the main symptoms people seek to treat when they are sick, yet it actually empowers the immune system. A fever is the body's attempt to raise its temperature to a point where infectious organisms become weakened, while its own immune system becomes more efficient at higher temperature. So unless it is extreme, reducing a fever might actually be counterproductive at eliminating sickness.

I can't really look at our situation as a civilization much differently.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly