Author Topic: "Fiscal cliff" - "Walk Away" Gaining Steam  (Read 15450 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: "Fiscal cliff" - "Walk Away" Gaining Steam
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 09:06:36 PM »
Pubbies will get blamed no matter what, they know it and yet they'll still screw this up somehow. They should let the triggers hit and then in the new Congress submit a bill restoring military spending and tax cuts and tell Obama to choke on to on Reid to stuff it! But that's a fantasy scenario for the moron party!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2012, 10:48:15 PM »
most of the people out "there" aren't going to believe there's a problem because these guys keep kicking the can away...they hear about some financial troubles and then in the nick of time it's solved!!

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 06:55:53 AM »
Plus, things are not painful enough for people, once the full effects of progressive ideology hits them hard in the face...well, many will still look for a handout...but the handouts are diminishing with each passing second...

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 08:15:06 AM »
Last evening, Levin imparted some useful inside-baseball about the House and Weepy Boehner's shenanigans there.  Apparently, when dealing with his fellow House members, particularly the Freshman, he's a regular bullying badass -- unlike when he's DEALING with Obongo.

He's and his Lieutenants (Cantor et al.) have kicked off at least three staunch conservatives from the 1st and 2nd tier committees because they were resisting his desire to deal cave; Levin named one of them who has no committee assignment at all for next year.

This guy is a huge problem, moreso than we knew.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2012, 10:01:41 AM »
And he is Speaker only because of the Tea Party people he now kneecaps whenever possible.  Oh, but let's continue to work from within!  Boehner needs to go. The ideal way would be in a primary challenge, but he needs to go even if it means losing to his Dem challenger.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2012, 11:11:13 AM »
Electing that crap back in as Speaker in the new Congress will be yet another sign that the GOP is fatally unrecoverable.

TeachX3

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2012, 11:21:16 AM »
We're at a point where we have no real choice but to let things fall apart, and even then the probability of success is not great. Fever is one of the main symptoms people seek to treat when they are sick, yet it actually empowers the immune system. A fever is the body's attempt to raise its temperature to a point where infectious organisms become weakened, while its own immune system becomes more efficient at higher temperature. So unless it is extreme, reducing a fever might actually be counterproductive at eliminating sickness.

I can't really look at our situation as a civilization much differently.

What an absolutely fantastic comment, agreed!

charlesoakwood

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2012, 11:24:04 AM »

("Electing that crap back in as Speaker in the new Congress will be yet another sign that the GOP is fatally unrecoverable.")³

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2012, 11:53:10 AM »
HotAir has it:

Speaker John A. Boehner initiated today a small purge of rebellious Republicans — mostly conservatives — from prominent committees; it’s the latest instance of the Ohio Republican’s clamping down on his fractious conference.

The decisions were made by the GOP Steering Committee at a Monday meeting, which reviewed a spreadsheet listing each GOP lawmaker and how often he or she had voted with leadership, three sources said.

Reps. David Schweikert of Arizona and Walter Jones of North Carolina were booted from the Financial Services Committee. Reps. Justin Amash of Michigan and Tim Huelskamp of Kansas were removed from the Budget Committee.

According to a source, Schweikert was told that he was ousted in part because his “votes were not in lockstep with leadership.”

The correlation to dissent may not cover the reshuffle entire, Strong reports.  For instance, Schweikart’s problem might be less his votes and more in the way he campaigned against Ben Quayle:

Schweikert defeated Rep. Ben Quayle in a contentious GOP primary and was not regarded as leadership’s first choice in that race. Schweikert’s tactics in the rough-and-tumble primary, according to several sources, rubbed leaders the wrong way.

A GOP lobbyist emailed about the Schweikert situation, “Wow. Don’t F w Jeb.” The reference was apparently to incoming Financial Services Chairman Jeb Hensarling of Texas, the departing GOP Conference chairman.

When analyzing assignment changes, don’t entirely discount the personal over the political.  The fiscal cliff could be coincidental to this {Sure, Ed - P.} as this is the normal time for reassessing committee assignments for the upcoming session of Congress.  These committee spots are given out for many reasons, and policy fealty is only one of them.  Anyone who has seen politics up close at any level learns quickly that the systems are set up to reward and punish based on the whims of those elected to leadership.

... However, the changes certainly appear to prepare Boehner to deliver on any agreement he makes with Harry Reid and Barack Obama.  That came up as an issue in the summer of 2011, when a back-bench revolt began to look likely as details of the “grand bargain” got leaked during the final days of the debt-limit crisis.  It signals that Boehner wants to have a carte blanche on negotiations this time around, and that his leadership appears ready to give it to him.

I'd like to give him something and it doesn't look anything like carte blanche.

This sonofabtch is negotiating with SCOaMF over how to confiscate and apportion MY PROPERTY.  Yes, I'm HOLLERING.  We have no representation in the Federal government today and Boehner is purging what little we might have had.

Rush is on the radio right now outlining and itemizing the new taxes on investment income due just to Obongocare -- it's looking like about 40% on the stocks and such profit -- and we haven't even gotten to the sell-out deal on income taxes that's coming thanks to Boehner and company.

Anybody still thinking this won't end up coming to blows?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2012, 12:06:36 PM »
Yes, I'd like to give him and his ilk the same thing!

BITS!

Molôn Labé!

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2012, 12:24:05 PM »
He's gotta have a clue that he's setting the House up for a historical defeat in 2014, doesn't he?

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2012, 12:25:04 PM »
Nobody ever said that every ornament in the tree has to be a D.  There's plenty of room for Rs as well.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2012, 12:27:26 PM »
He's gotta have a clue that he's setting the House up for a historical defeat in 2014, doesn't he?

He doesn't CARE.  As long as keeps his seat, his salary, pension and perks, pffffft.  He's one of the ones that is most comfortable being in the minority, as long as he's got his bling, even if he can't strongarm the rest into voting him into leadership.

Look at Pelosi for the other-side-of-aisle comparison.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2012, 03:24:43 PM »
Okay, CHF; here's your more evidence, and as for Walter Jones, it's over his usual bugaboo -- egregious defense spending:

"Conservative Republican Reps. Tim Huelskamp of Kansas and Justin Amash of Michigan hit back at Republican leadership on Tuesday, following their Monday removal from prominent committees, calling the move “petty” and “vindictive,” and accusing Speaker of the House John Boehner and his deputies of silencing independent conservative voices in preparation to steamroll a tax hike through Congress.

Huelskamp — who was removed from the Agriculture and Budget Committees — released a video on Friday declaring his intention to not vote for any tax increases and received notice of his removal on Monday, “one business day” later.

“I think there’s going to be an attempt to pass a tax increase through the House, in exchange for what?” he told a group reporters at the Heritage Foundation Tuesday afternoon. “This president doesn’t want to do entitlement reform, doesn’t want to cut spending… I think it makes very clear to conservatives that you’re about to get run over.”

The decision, he said, was “all behind closed doors” and was presented to him as based on a secret scorecard of “what was considered the right vote.”

Libertarian star Amash suggested that a willingness to put defense cuts on the table was behind his and Huelskamp’s removal from the Budget Committee, as well as Arizona Rep.  David Schweikert and North Carolina Rep. Walter Jones’ removal from the Financial Services Committee.

“I can tell you that to different degrees, Tim Huelskamp and even Walter Jones have taken positions on military spending that are a little more open to compromise on that issue — working with Democrats to try and find ways to reduce spending… I don’t know if that’s the common thread for sure, but it’s certainly true about all of us that we’re more open to that.”

“I think they [Republican leaders] are willing to raise taxes to avoid any defense cuts,” he charged, “and I think they’re willing to take any deals, even bad ones, to avoid defense cuts.”

Amash clarified that he is not for massive slashes in defense, but said that all things need to be considered in order to achieve a compromise in negotiations with Democrats.

“The amount of reform we are going to need in Medicare and Social Security is significant,” he said, “and we’re not going to get there unless we look like honest brokers.”

The decision to boot them from the committee, Huelskamp told reporters, “confirms most Americans’ deepest suspicions about Washington: It’s petty, it’s vindictive, and if you have any conservative principles, you will be punished… No good deed goes unpunished.”

“My constituents didn’t send me to vote for him [President Barack Obama] and they didn’t send me to vote for [Senate Majority Leader Harry] Reid or Mr. Boehner,” Huelskamp said.

Amash said that he had not even been informed of the decision yet, and only heard about it from the media.

“We haven’t even been told officially that we were removed from the Budget Committee,” Amash told reporters. “I had to read it in the newspaper… I haven’t received a single call from leadership, a single email… I think it’s pretty outrageous, frankly.”"

Read more; there's another whole page on the shenanigans: http://dailycaller.com/2012/12/04/purged-conservative-reps-boehner-planning-to-run-over-conservatives-vote-for-tax-hike/#ixzz2E7XJn8Ev

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2012, 06:29:30 PM »
  Beck was right when he said that we had "Progressives on both sides"
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2012, 06:43:51 PM »
Damn skippy.  And we knew it, too.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2012, 07:11:27 AM »
Nobody ever said that every ornament in the tree has to be a D.  There's plenty of room for Rs as well.

Indeed!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2012, 07:13:12 AM »
Damn skippy.  And we knew it, too.

If the only way to stave off defense cuts is to accept more taxes then to Hell with them!  They (Obama & the Dem's) will still slash defense in order to spend on entitlements and porkulus like they always fricken do!

Eff it!  Cliff my ass!  Push them all over!!!

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2012, 11:21:04 AM »
Hopefully, a legitimate question, so don't spank me
It has been said that we spend more on defense than everyone else. Or something like that.
I know. I know. Some of the other country's numbers aren't included.

We have bases in a majority of the world's countries and fight endless wars with ridiculous rules of engagement.

The $800 toilet seat and $500 hammers

I would bet we could find some efficiencies that wouldn't hurt defense one bit.
Maybe Germany, Japan and Korea could pay for their own damn defense.

Also, I've seen it said that a lot of our adventurism is to keep the Saudis propped up

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2012, 11:29:39 AM »
Hopefully, a legitimate question, so don't spank me
It has been said that we spend more on defense than everyone else. Or something like that.
I know. I know. Some of the other country's numbers aren't included.

We have bases in a majority of the world's countries and fight endless wars with ridiculous rules of engagement.

The $800 toilet seat and $500 hammers

I would bet we could find some efficiencies that wouldn't hurt defense one bit.
Maybe Germany, Japan and Korea could pay for their own damn defense.

Also, I've seen it said that a lot of our adventurism is to keep the Saudis propped up

Aw hell, AP; I agree with you.  On all of it.  I believe we don't need all the bases we have currently; they could be reduced to a few/several strategic locations and be done with it.

To the ROE, don't even get me started.   ::outrage::

As for the last in particular, if we could get ahold of our own damn oil, we could let somebody else pay to keep the Saudis in their own gold toilet appointments.