Author Topic: Bob Costas is a big fat liar  (Read 7140 times)

Offline 21stCenturyThinker

• Newb
  • Renaissance Man- Don't Fear the Rebirth
Bob Costas is a big fat liar
« on: December 02, 2012, 10:40:41 PM »
In the middle of my Sunday Night Football game, Bob Costas felt it was important to convince the viewing public to deprive me of my right to own a handgun. He stated (granted he claimed to be quoting a KC newspaper columnist) that handguns do not make America safer and that "had he not owned a handgun, Jevan Belcher would be alive today". He also mentioned that situations like the shooting in Miami would not have escalated if only there were laws making handguns illegal.

I know I'm preaching to the choir on this forum, but I still think it's important to remind ourselves about the absolute falseness of these lies.

First of all, do we need to prove again that the states with the largest percentage of gun owners are the safest in the nation? And the states with the most onerous gun laws are the most violent and dangerous? Of course not. Everyone knows that guns in the hands of responsible citizens are used properly for self defense and are extremely effective deterrents. We also know that the truth has absolutely no bearing on the liberal propaganda machine. Which is why we must continue speaking the truth; if for no other reason than to make it harder to cover up.

Secondly, would Jevan Belcher really be alive today? Perhaps in the same way that OJ Simpson is alive today? Did the gun really empower the linebacker for the KC Chiefs to kill his girlfriend? Is the argument truly that he was angry enough to shoot her but not angry enough to punch her? One punch would have done the job. And then Jevan Belcher could have sat in jail for the rest of his life. Is that a happier ending to the story? The gun is only the issue in this story because of its propaganda value.

Propaganda? How about this: the national papers were swimming with the story of the black teenager who was shot in the convenience store parking lot. Ostensibly because his music was too loud. Although, being in the back seat, I suspect the boy who was shot had nothing to do with the volume of the music. I suspect he escalated the situation with his mouth and then was terribly surprised when he got shot. But that's not my point and I'm certainly not defending the actions of the man who did the shooting. I hope we hear the whole story someday.

No, here's my point: I live 2000 miles from Miami and yet I know about this shooting. People in my state are going to be influenced to take away my gun rights because of the national coverage of the story. The story seeks to prove that all gun owners are maniacs waiting for a chance to kill. But I know another story that none of you have ever heard.  When I was stationed in Hawaii, one of my soldiers was beaten into a brain dead coma in the parking lot of a convenience store by four men while his wife and infant son sat in the car and dialed 911. They never caught the four guys and the story didn't even make the local paper. Very bad for tourism. Hawaii has very strict gun laws. I never think of that incident without thinking that any armed person could have saved his life. With any caliber. The four Hawaiian men simply thought the soldier had cut them off on the freeway. Going by the wife's testimony. It would have been easy to dissuade them.

I heard Jevan Belcher's murder-suicide described on the football pregame show as a "horrific tragedy". But it's not. Nazi concentration camps are a horrific tragedy. The slaughter of innocent millions in Cambodia, Czechoslovakia, Russia, Iraq; those are horrific tragedies. Jevan Belcher was just a poor mixed up athlete who suddenly couldn't cope with life. It happens every day in a thousand different ways in a thousand different places. What worries me is that the liberals think they are responsible for preventing bad things from happening. They will try to legislate all of us until tragedy, heartbreak and maybe unhappiness and disappointment are gone from the world.

It reminds me of the old Army joke: the beatings will continue until morale improves. 

My message to the liberals: stop thinking you're God. You cannot be responsible for every sparrow that falls. And it's insulting and irritating to the rest of us when you try.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Bob Costas is a big fat liar
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 10:50:55 PM »
I heard costas,,,,,,,,and I turned the channel. Can't get away from the left.....but I can turn them off.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 11:23:21 PM »
My message to the liberals: stop thinking you're God. You cannot be responsible for every sparrow that falls. And it's insulting and irritating to the rest of us when you try.

Bush is responsible for every sparrow that falls. And Cheney loaded the handgun and gave it to Belcher.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 07:29:05 AM »
It's probably a good thing the game last night was between two losing teams, outside of Philly and Texas the rest of the country largely did as I did and paid it no attention.

But I had not heard Costas make an completely moronic statement like that before, if there isn't an instance of brain trauma to account for it then it appears this fool had a momentary lapse of honesty and people got a glimpse of the real moonbat leftist lurking inside.

Good posting 21CT.  Perhaps if we beat Costas enough his attitude will change?  Nah, doubtful.

Mr. Costas, meet Mr. Foot.

::asskicking::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 07:29:58 AM »
"Nothing Costas says in this clip is new or even terribly interesting — Kansas City Chiefs player Jovan Belcher used a gun to kill his girlfriend Kasandra Perkins and himself, so no one should own guns — but the context of his anti-Second Amendment rant was incredibly bizarre, and not just because it came in the middle of a halftime show with “God Bless America” playing in the background:

Bob Costas on Gun Control following Jovan Belcher tragedy Sunday Night Half-Time Show Tribute

Why bizarre?  Well, if you watched NBC’s Football Night in America last night, you’d already know that the broadcast team could barely even mention the fact that Belcher committed murder

Before and during the game, they used phrases like “lost her life in this tragedy” to describe what happened to his victim and other non-judgmental phrases.  Into that context comes Costas to blame … the gun.  It was surreal, an experience only interrupted in the post-game show when Rodney Harrison appeared to get a little angry and remind everyone that Belcher killed someone else besides himself.  And while I didn’t watch the earlier games during the day, NBC’s crew was not really an exception in how they approached the Belcher murder-suicide story.

From the comments:

"On the same day, A member of the Cleveland Browns grounds crew killed himself at their practice facility. He hung himself in a utility shed. Why did he not call for the banning of rope?? If someone wants to kill others or themselves, there are plenty of ways to do it that do not involve firearms and it happens everyday."

Attention Bob Costas:  Molon Labe.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 08:07:57 AM »
The other thing that has sparked up again as a result of this story is the debate over lawful people being allowed to have weapons in their vehicles where they park to go to work, most places have those retarded "come on in criminals, we ban law-abiding people from carry guns here" signs, so naturally they want to deny us the right to keep them in our cars too.

Pisses me off!  I've had it with these gun-grabbing Nazi bastards!

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 09:01:16 AM »
You guys talking about Bob Corksuker?
TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 10:20:07 AM »
If you are like me you were raised around guns - and responsible gun stewardship. My dad spent some time as a DI and was absolutely no nonsense when it came to firearms training. We were taught an appreciation for, and a respect of guns.

With that orientation it came as somewhat of a surprise to me to see the casual disregard that some have with guns. Yes, you can kill yourself with a hammer, but it is a thousand times easier to do it with a gun (or a chopsaw for that matter). It is a tool but a tool that commands attention and common sense.

Years ago I was camping with a group of friends - some close, some casual. We were having a great and relaxing time drinking, fishing, drinking, playing musical instruments, drinking... On the 2nd night one guy who I did not know got his back up about something or another. He wasn't closely associated to anyone that I knew of, and I suspect that he was feeling vulnerable. So he decided to send a message to the group of his virility and general awesomeness by yarding out a handgun and waving it around. Ignoring the advice to put it away and settle down, he got increasingly belligerent.

So five or six of us pulled out own weapons - which came as a huge surprise to this guy - and disarmed him. We hog-tied him in the back of his pickup and drive him down to the ranger station, leaving him in the parking lot. The next day we got a visit from the rangers who had gotten an earful from pancho villa after he sobered up a bit, and wanted to know what was up. We surrendered his gun to the rangers and explained how he had threatened the group and wasn't a very nice camp-buddy. They laughed and warned the guy to leave and not come back.

Some people are azzholes. You can usually tell them from a mile off and avoid them. Some times you must confront them. This guy would have been a jerk whether he had had a gun, a tank, or just his big mouth. I don't know this Belcher guy but I would bet that, if one were to have paid attention, they would have seen the tells.

My heart goes out to the baby girl orphaned by all of this, and to the families that are now struggling to come to grips with their loss.

bob corksoaker can kiss my ass.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 11:34:06 AM »
Agree 100% 'Soup!  I was taught the same way, was even allowed to keep the family .22 in my locker at school (with prior notice to the school) as our classroom part of firearm training was in the school cafeteria!  Cannot imagine such a thing today and it is little wonder people fail to use guns responsibly.  Combine that with the intentional stripping of boys of anything masculine and you get the Columbine assholes!

I hope the little girl is raised by good people.

Offline Randoobula

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 12:56:59 PM »
As I looked around last night and this morning, it appears that everyone assumes Costas just gets a little ninety minute segment during Sunday Night Football halftime to say whatever he likes. I dont believe it for a second. He quoted and paraphrased a circle around Whitlocks comment about football related brain trauma. Why? Because the NFL would not have agreed to THAT. I am quite certain that the NFL ok'd or even directed his statement as a diversion from another round of controversy over head injury in the NFL. And its working.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 01:23:00 PM »
Yeppers.

Not being particularly sports-minded and (again) not a boob-toob watcher I don't think I could guess at the average demographic of the typical viewer but would guess that there are a bunch who are also gun owners - owners who similar to what I've seen so far aren't infatuated by costas's remarks. I anticipate blowback from this and if the NFL is thinking that this was an opportune diversion they will find it not the case.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 02:12:53 PM »
Today, it was mentioned that Costas' remarks were racist in as much he said that negros are too stupid to possess firearms.

Tags:
Writer defends tattoo criticism of QB Kaepernick
UK: Social workers remove foster kids because couple is conservative
Mr. Earl

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 04:03:10 PM »
Today, it was mentioned that Costas' remarks were racist in as much he said that negros are too stupid to possess firearms.

Tags:
Writer defends tattoo criticism of QB Kaepernick
UK: Social workers remove foster kids because couple is conservative
Mr. Earl

I always knew he was a racist.  ::facepalm::   

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 04:35:13 PM »
H/T: SDA

You want to take that from me. You want me to be unable to defend myself. You want to leave me vulnerable to those out there who look at a five foot tall fat girl and think “victim”. You want me to be unable to protect myself when there is no one else around to do so. You want to make me dependent on others to provide for my basic safety and security.

Let us not beat around the bush, you want to sacrifice my life on the altar of your political beliefs. How dare you? Honestly, who do the two of you think you are to demand that my blood be shed so that you may preen about what wonderful people you are? Why, precisely, are you removing the responsibility for Kasandra Perkins’ murder from Jovan Belcher and placing it on an inanimate object? That is what you are doing, after all. Your position is that absent the gun, Jovan Belcher would not have murdered Kasandra Perkins. What utter rot. It’s not as if, to pick something at random, he could have picked up a knife and slit her throat so violently that she was nearly decapitated. Oh no, that would never ever happen. By focusing on the gun, you are choosing to make Jovan Belcher a mere bystander to his own actions. That is horrific. Jovan Belcher murdered Kasandra Perkins. He chose to pull that trigger. He chose to take her life. How dare you attempt to absolve him in even the slightest manner for that crime. He killed her. Not a gun. He did it. No one else.

I will not let you two demand that my blood be shed so that you can sit there and declaim your supposed superior morality to the world. No. You would rather I be dead. That is the logical conclusion of your positions. I will not die for you. No other woman should either.

Full letter:
http://doubleplusundead.com/2012/12/03/an-open-letter-to-bob-costas-and-jason-whitlock/
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 07:04:25 PM »
H/T: SDA

You want to take that from me. You want me to be unable to defend myself. You want to leave me vulnerable to those out there who look at a five foot tall fat girl and think “victim”. You want me to be unable to protect myself when there is no one else around to do so. You want to make me dependent on others to provide for my basic safety and security.

Let us not beat around the bush, you want to sacrifice my life on the altar of your political beliefs. How dare you? Honestly, who do the two of you think you are to demand that my blood be shed so that you may preen about what wonderful people you are? Why, precisely, are you removing the responsibility for Kasandra Perkins’ murder from Jovan Belcher and placing it on an inanimate object? That is what you are doing, after all. Your position is that absent the gun, Jovan Belcher would not have murdered Kasandra Perkins. What utter rot. It’s not as if, to pick something at random, he could have picked up a knife and slit her throat so violently that she was nearly decapitated. Oh no, that would never ever happen. By focusing on the gun, you are choosing to make Jovan Belcher a mere bystander to his own actions. That is horrific. Jovan Belcher murdered Kasandra Perkins. He chose to pull that trigger. He chose to take her life. How dare you attempt to absolve him in even the slightest manner for that crime. He killed her. Not a gun. He did it. No one else.

I will not let you two demand that my blood be shed so that you can sit there and declaim your supposed superior morality to the world. No. You would rather I be dead. That is the logical conclusion of your positions. I will not die for you. No other woman should either.

Full letter:
http://doubleplusundead.com/2012/12/03/an-open-letter-to-bob-costas-and-jason-whitlock/

As usual, the comments are priceless......Silly me. People don't kill people, guns kill people. I bet that firearm, or better yet, that evil bullet had a mind of its own. He would have never killed the girl if that blamed bullet didn't go off.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 08:31:45 PM »
Typical liberal bullsplatter! Make the perp a victim, use the victim as a pawn in their insane agenda, blame guns for violence in society  and blaming contact sports for turning otherwise passive individuals into homicidal maniacs. And anybody who objects to your BS is a gun crazed backwoods inbred racist. So sick of this crap!

RickZ

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 06:00:13 AM »
CNN's Piers Morgan, in the wake of the thug* Jovan Belcher's murder/suicide, joined the 'let's ban guns' parade on Twitter and was met with an epic smackdown.  So epic, in fact, it actually shut the @sshole up (he ran away) while the conversation continued without him.

http://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/275709039235694592

* 5 minute radio interview with the father of a then 12-year-old son who was bullied by Jovan when they lived on Long Island.  They eventually had to move to get away from the thug as he always acted all innocent when authority wqas around, a true sociopath.

http://www.schnittshow.com/player/?mid=22679872

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 06:52:51 AM »
Piers should go back to where he was hatched, what a waste of DNA...   ::mooning::   ::asskicking::

When are we going to combine waste disposal efforts and load all our worst trash on rockets and launch them into the sun?  Ever?!   ::outrage::

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 08:38:12 AM »
Good smackdown, @caroljsroth!

::cool::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 08:52:56 AM »
Good smackdown, @caroljsroth!

::cool::

Indeed!  "right next to the word "muskets"".
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"