Author Topic: Bob Costas is a big fat liar  (Read 7141 times)

Offline 21stCenturyThinker

• Newb
  • Renaissance Man- Don't Fear the Rebirth
Re: Bob Costas is a big fat liar
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2012, 08:09:02 AM »
Just saw an interview of Bob Costas by Bill O'Reilly in which Costas was trying to soften his MNF statements and assure us he isn't "trying to repeal the 2nd Amendment". Good old O'Reilly. Quickly blew Costas off his prepared position and got him (Costas) to expose himself yet again. And it always comes down to the same few points:

1. Costas proposes that when there are lots of guns out there, far more bad things happen than good things. Far more do harm with their guns than those who protect themselves with guns. Possibly this seems true to Costas since I suspect that he doesn't know a lot of real people. If you get all your news and world views from the NBC conglomerate then it makes sense your world view will be skewed. Only BAD news about guns makes the news. If there are a thousand instances per day when a gun prevented a felony they will be ignored while a single instance of a misused gun will make the national news.

2.  He believes, and Bill O'Reilly didn't think it was a bad idea, that training should be required for the possession of a firearm. It sounds very reasonable at first. A local company provides training in urban warfare tactics and self defense with a handgun. It's lots of fun. I love the training and the feeling of preparedness it provides. My problem is with the word REQUIRED. That's what Costas really wants and where I suspect O'Reilly would balk. Because as soon as you set up that requirement, you give control of the 2nd Amendment to the person administering the test. "Oops, you only scored a 98%; no gun for you". Try to imagine the hue and cry if training was required in order to vote. Wouldn't it change the political process in an amazing way if people had to pass a basic test before voting?

3.  Costas and his ilk ALWAYS want to exaggerate the misuse of guns. When talking about the shooting at the Batman movie, Costas actually at one point mentioned "a bazooka". He also said the murderer had a military weapon the "fires hundreds of rounds". In other words, we armed civilians are just stupid because we obviously cannot compete with the sophisticated weaponry out there and shouldn't even try. Possibly he doesn't see the irony in his argument: the world is more dangerous, therefore we shouldn't be allowed to defend ourselves. When does that start to make sense? But it's a very old debate tactic; you stretch a point to ridiculous limits and then argue that if it's not true for the "worst case scenario" then it's not true at all. In other words if I can't stop a tank (or a "bazooka") with my 9mm then there's no point in carrying a gun.

4.  "In a movie theater full of armed civilians, it is much more likely that someone will get shot because someones toes got stepped on in the popcorn line" (paraphrased). This argument always pisses me off. I remember it also being used in an old Dirty Harry movie: "if everyone has guns then pretty soon people are shooting each other for jaywalking or because their dog crapped on their neighbor's lawn". In other words we, the people, are not sophisticated or intelligent enough to handle the responsibility of firearms. The gun makes us stupid and psychotic. Now, I'm not stupid or naive. I know that there are some immature and unbalanced people out there. But gun laws don't prevent them from having guns. And forcing me to be their victim isn't the solution.

What Costas and most liberals want, I suspect, is to UN-INVENT guns. Magically make them disappear from the earth. Then we'll all join hands and love one another. But it just can't happen. As we all know, violence is a symptom of something much deeper- the guns didn't create the violence.

We don't live in a "gun culture". We live in a "violence culture". Every popular American movie has dozens, if not hundreds of killings in it. Even our fairy tales like Star Wars. And video games? The whole Zombie Apocalypse was created just so we could get kids to stop killing humans in video games. Nazis are too old fashioned. I'm not qualified to say if all this "cause" or "effect". But I am certain when I say the world is becoming a more violent place. I see every day that kids care less and less about authority, respect and tradition. And these kids will grow up with this same lack of values and respect for law.

In the eyes of the lefties, the solution to the violence is not conformity, harmony and positive role models. Their solution is fewer rights and more government regulation. I don't know if the novel 1984 is required reading in school any more. Probably not. But we are so close to living in that book's dystopia that we should be calling Obama "Big Brother". Might be time to pull it out and dust it off a little.

Here's a quote you can take to the bank: Government oppression leads to more violence, not less. I promise I know what I'm talking about.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2012, 09:17:47 AM »
As for the training requirement, besides the criteria for "permission" being subjective, there's always the question of availability.  No local business offering training courses or facilities?  Too bad, so sad, no gun for you.

A short while ago, after DC v Heller, a woman reporter out of DC did a series of pieces on her quest to legally acquire a gun permit and a weapon.  The process was overly lengthy and complicated by the lack of training facilities, gun shops and FFL dealers.

If "they" can't legally prohibit people from owning, "they" can and will simply attach requirements and conditions that "they" know either can't be met or are onerous to do so.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

RickZ

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2012, 09:20:41 AM »
See, Bob, the British had their Brown Bess muskets, and so did some of our lads.  They came from the same heritage or stock, with the same goods as a common denominator.  But we were also hunters over here, Bob.  We needed to take out game at a long rang or we'd starve.  So we also had rifles, you know, with rifling on the inside of the barrel, and where the name comes from, Bob.  Now these were expensive, and not everybody could afford one.  But Bob, they existed -- and we didn't starve to death.  Now Bob, after The Shot Heard 'Round The World, we were fighting a war of secession or a war of rebellion, depending on your point of view.  So anyway, Bob, some of our guys had rifles and were used to hunting game at long range.  A musket's effectiveness at 25 to 30 yards out gets dodgy.  These guys were standing line abreast shooting at each other and losses overall were minimal.  But you see, Bob, we had those frontiersmen who had rifles.  So they started hunting British officers.  Only officers were on horseback, so they were easy targets, being elevated in plain sight.  The officers on foot were also easy to target and eliminate with a high rate of efficiency, and from a much longer distance than the muskets would ever allow.  Now Bob, these guys weren't in a line abreast, they were behind trees and bushes and other natural points of ambuscade.  The losses of officers in one theater (I forgot which at the moment) caused the British to hold a parlay with the rebels to request that they stop targeting their officers specifically.  The British were fine with taking their chances with musket fire since it was inaccurate, but they didn't like the idea of a suicide mission.  (I forgot how that parlay went.)

But the point here, Bob, is that we were taking out their command and control structure.  We were eliminating their leadership.  Now let me put it in terms you'll understand, Bob, we were taking out their quarterbacks.  We were taking out the brains behind the brawn.  You've seen that happen many a Sunday, Bob.

The rifles were a far superior technology to muskets.  They didn't win us our Independence, Bob, but they most certainly helped. But their most important reason for existence at that time was to kill the elite officer corps in the British army.  If one of those boys had've been able to take a shot at ol' King George, he'd have killed him, too.  Bob, we have guns to kill kings and lords.  Now the Forefathers, being the geniuses they were, knew that a free people needed to have access to the same weaponry as the government for a couple of reasons, Bob.  The first was a fight on equal footing.  The other, and this is the important one, Bob, was to allow us citizens when necessary to kill our politicians, too.  So Bob, guns are for hunting, just not what or who you think.  The right to own weapons is the right that keeps us Free from totalitarian schmucks like youself, Bob.

Thanks for listening, Bob.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2012, 09:33:09 AM »
So Bob, guns are for hunting, just not what or who you think.

And that's the name of THAT tune.

Well done, Rick.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2012, 09:54:14 AM »
In other words we, the people, are not sophisticated or intelligent enough to handle the responsibility of firearms. The gun makes us stupid and psychotic. Now, I'm not stupid or naive. I know that there are some immature and unbalanced people out there. But gun laws don't prevent them from having guns. And forcing me to be their victim isn't the solution.

That always pisses me off, too, 21CT, because I have personal experience with it.

I am and have always been a scrapper.  I take no guff although I don't look for a fight.  Once I began carrying concealed, it became an imperative to de-escalate and walk away and that's worked out very well.

I no longer feel compelled to argue with those who have no power to make decisions, so in this regard, I do escalate up the chain of command until I get to someone who has the authority to settle an issue to my satisfaction -- and without feeling the "need" to pull out and wave around my gun.

Some of this may merely be a function of getting older, but I'm very aware of the possible unpleasant consequences of an unnecessary confrontation, so I'm a bit less mouthy.  (I still think it, though.  You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you cannot take Jersey out of the girl.)

charlesoakwood

« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2012, 11:50:00 AM »

Shovels and spades should go too.  The Russians would hone their entrenching tools as sharp as a razor and... oh, yeah, razors should be banned too. And pencils and...

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2012, 11:52:19 AM »
And Crazy Glue.  Just because I hate the ineffective stuff.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2012, 01:30:11 PM »
And Crazy Glue.  Just because I hate the ineffective stuff.

I've found it to be very effective at gluing fingers together.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2012, 04:53:06 PM »
Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people....Costas has it all wrong.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline 21stCenturyThinker

• Newb
  • Renaissance Man- Don't Fear the Rebirth
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2012, 08:08:05 AM »
Once I began carrying concealed, it became an imperative to de-escalate and walk away and that's worked out very well.

Absolutely brilliant point, Pandora. And it's what the gun ban people refuse to see: an intelligent, rational (I almost said "mature" but didn't want you to think I meant "old") attitude toward concealed carry. There are two things I never lose sight of while carrying: first, while the gun protects me, I also protect the gun. And my right to carry the gun. I'm very scrupulous to obey every law while carrying concealed- even (maybe especially) traffic laws. With great power comes great responsibility. This is not a bad thing. It makes me a better citizen because, contrary to what Costas thinks, I get calmer while carrying concealed. Not angrier, not more excitable.

Second, the gun is not used for punishment. I'll never draw it in anger. It's for protection. If my pride is threatened I can survive that encounter without a gun. With my rapier-like wit. If a life is threatened then that's different. I'm prepared to do whatever is necessary to protect life.

And that's my answer whenever I get asked why I carry a gun. (My wife is British- her family asks that question a LOT).

I carry a gun to protect life.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2012, 10:02:38 AM »
Once I began carrying concealed, it became an imperative to de-escalate and walk away and that's worked out very well.

Absolutely brilliant point, Pandora. And it's what the gun ban people refuse to see: an intelligent, rational (I almost said "mature" but didn't want you to think I meant "old") attitude toward concealed carry. There are two things I never lose sight of while carrying: first, while the gun protects me, I also protect the gun. And my right to carry the gun. I'm very scrupulous to obey every law while carrying concealed- even (maybe especially) traffic laws. With great power comes great responsibility. This is not a bad thing. It makes me a better citizen because, contrary to what Costas thinks, I get calmer while carrying concealed. Not angrier, not more excitable.

Second, the gun is not used for punishment. I'll never draw it in anger. It's for protection. If my pride is threatened I can survive that encounter without a gun. With my rapier-like wit. If a life is threatened then that's different. I'm prepared to do whatever is necessary to protect life.

And that's my answer whenever I get asked why I carry a gun. (My wife is British- her family asks that question a LOT).

I carry a gun to protect life.

Excellent post 21CT. I would add one modifier to your last sentence, not because your point is lacking as is, but because it is an additional fact that offers us further clarification and justification.

I carry a gun to protect life from evil.

It goes without saying, but perhaps it shouldn't. We carry to protect the innocent, but who we are protecting is only a part of the equation that ignores an important reality that cedes ground to the Left. Without a clear, doggedly insistent recognition and verbalization to the society at large of exactly from whom we are protecting the innocent, we lose an opportunity. The nature of those who would willfully harm others is the problem that needs reckoning, not the method of those of us who would respond to it.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 10:07:56 AM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson