Author Topic: Mind Numbingly Horrid Reality Shows  (Read 2004 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Mind Numbingly Horrid Reality Shows
« on: December 03, 2012, 01:47:38 AM »
There are various forms of extreme mental cruelty. Most of them are associated with middle eastern prisons or east European secret police torture chambers.

But then there is reality television. I hate reality television. At best, for me, it's boring. But at its worst it's like (figuratively) having an augur bit run through the palm of your hand. In a tub of salt water. Boiling salt water.

Personally, I think that it's a testimony to my patience, my perseverance and my love for my wife that I can sit through one of these shows from time to time. Now to be fair, I know that there are some shows that I watch in mrs. trapeze's presence that she finds equally repugnant but I feel that I am entitled to vent. After all, I have actually watched a couple of the Twilight movies and somehow my brain is still intact.

And hey, I'm grateful that there is only a show here and a show there that she insists on watching. So what are these shows? Well, for now I am going to rip on the one that I find particularly contemptible, "Sister Wives."

mrs. trapeze will not say why she watches these things. I think it's sort of like driving by a really bad auto accident and you just have to slow down and look. Call it morbid curiosity. Or maybe she is waiting for the characters on the show to actually self destruct. It's happened before (I hear) on shows I have never watched. For instance, I did watch a few of the Sarah Palin Alaska shows and on one of them the Palin's were visited by that creepy woman with all of the kids and that woman was seriously disturbed, mentally. And during her reality show her marriage broke up...spectacularly. So maybe that will happen on "Sister Wives." I hope so. If I have to watch this crap there needs to be some kind of payoff. Maybe I'll get lucky and one of the characters will go berserk with a Mossberg pump.

If you don't know about this show or have never watched it, well, congratulations. Well done. Keep on keeping on. It's truly horrid.

But here is a summary. It's about this self centered asshole (Kody) and his four doormats who impersonate women that he is ostensibly "married" to. This guy is a total dick. He is the kind of person that I would be forced to punch out if I had to endure even a short conversation with. Every episode is all about how the world is so unfair because it won't accept him and his "non-traditional" marriage stuff. His "wives" are total gluttons for punishment. They just soak up the abuse that this clod dishes out like it's the best thing ever.

It's obvious that there is absolutely no way in the world that Kody can make enough money to pay for all of the expenses of four women plus a couple of dozen offspring. I don't even think that there is any way that the "wives" can make enough money to pay for the stuff either. So...I'm guessing that somehow these jerks are on the federal dole in some way. They are probably getting a few bucks for doing the show but reality shows are notorious for not paying much if anything to the people that they exploit. So I don't know how they do it. They are living in Vegas and are building godawful expensive homes so something isn't adding up. Maybe he's a drug dealer. Who knows? The show never ever highlights what Kody does for a living so I will just assume that he is doing something illegal.

Anyway, Kody regularly insults his "wives" in front of each other and, of course, in front of however many people are watching the show. Kody is an arrogant, self absorbed boob and his world revolves around him. And the "wives" just take it. One of them has fertility problems and Kody mentally abuses her over her inability to conceive. In a recent episode he is pushing her to undergo in vitro fertilization...telling her that his IS going to have more kids and that she had better get with the program or she is going to get left behind.

So it's a freak show.

I suppose there are worse shows on television. I, thankfully, don't watch everything and if I had to watch crap like this all the time I would probably go insane. I do find some relief in reading what others have said about it. I did a search for "hate sister wives" and this blog came up which minces no words about how morally bankrupt these people are. There are lots of comments from other like-minded haters which makes for even more enjoyable reading.

Right now I am wondering if I hate this show more than "Twilight" and it's a difficult choice. Each is despicable in its own way so I suppose I hate them equally for different reasons.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 01:58:57 AM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Mind Numbingly Horrid Reality Shows
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 07:20:46 AM »
Punch?  I dunno.  Not sure I'd want to touch something that looks and acts like it was spawned from a drug and booze saturated orgy at the Manson compound!  Not sure I'd like to waste a bullet...but I wouldn't want to damage my car either, so...I'd go buckshot to the face and call it good.

I'd ask what is wrong with those women, but, whatever.

There is also some new crap coming out on MTV I've seen advertised, bunch of young punks in West Virginia acting like Johnny Knoxville every day...call it Buckwild.

::)

I hate those shows, just reminds me how repulsive humans can be!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 07:49:42 AM by Libertas »
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

RickZ

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 07:25:35 AM »
The newest 'reality' show I've heard about is Cesar Milan hosting one.  The Dog Whisperer will now host a show where three families, with kids of course, compete for one dog.  I think it's sick to tease kids with a puppy/dog only to tell them, nope, you lost, sch'long, and we have no parting gifts.

Stupid, just stupid.  And cruel.  I feel bad for any dog 'won' by such imbecilic contestants.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 07:41:51 AM »
I do watch one reality show and it's a hoot.

Call of the Wildman
Starring Turtleman and his sidekicks Ernie, Squirrel and Jake

Turtleman  is from the backwoods of Kentucky and got his name from catching snapping turtles with his bare hands since he was 10.
Snapping turtles aren't the only thing he catches bare handed.
He's caught skunks, coons, pigs, groundhogs, alpacas, foxes, rattle snakes and other stuff.

Everything he catches is a pest or infestation on someone's property. He takes all the things he catches to somewhere they can be safe and releases.

Turtleman is known by his distinctive "Yi-yi-yi" yell and his big knife which he uses for everything from picking his toes to a dinner knife.

No one on the show has front teeth

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 07:48:03 AM »
They all suck.  Starting with Survivor.  I've spent most of my life trying to eliminate unnecessary drama, so I see absolutely no reason to swim in other people's.  Those shows are a living expose on the Seven Deadly Sins.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 08:16:30 AM »
There are a few so-called "reality" shows I actually like to watch.

Hoarders: Like a window into the most bizarre mental illness imaginable.
Intervention: A good show to watch with the teenagers to show them what rock-bottom looks like.
Pawn Stars: Lots of cool antiques and uniques come through the doors, and Rick, Chum, Old Man, and Hoss are a hoot.
Duck Dynasty: Funny characters, ridiculous premise, and wholesome Christian family values. Every episode ends with a lesson and a prayer.

Sister Wives I've seen once, and I've never watched again. Trap's right, the guy is a dick, and his "wives" are idiots.

ETA: I used to like "Little People-Big World", about the dwarf mom and dad with a dwarf son and two normal sized kids. It felt a little like gawking, but it was interesting to see how they interacted with a world made for people much larger than them. Heartbreaking, at times, joyous at others.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 08:49:24 AM »
Amazing what pieces of post-reason Amerikana one misses when one doesn't have a boob-toob.

I watched Fahrenheit 451 a few nights ago. There is a scene where the main character Montague comes home to find his wife hosting a party of sorts. The whole emphasis around the party is to commune with the characters of a television show. The government-run broadcasting network presents an ongoing stream~of~consciousness that passive-aggressively lures viewers into vicarious relationships (and indeed lives). Montague's wife is irretrievably drawn into the farce and Montague is unalterably immune. Montague is disgusted by his wife's attraction to the schlock television and his wife is horrified by Montague's flirtation with books.

The acute difference and subsequent discord becomes a watershed moment in their disintegrating relationship.

I've heard co-workers talk about a few of these shows and I have seen clips on u-toob. Not meant as a judgement call towards any of y'all that watch them, just a statement that I just fail to see the attraction.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 09:19:31 AM »
I watch almost no tv at all. Probably less than 5 hours/week.
Lot has to do with my work schedule. I typically get home from 3-4 AM.
Not a lot on at that time.

I do watch Falling Skies when it's on and watched Revolution and Last Resort.
I used to watch the History channel a little when they had history.

Even with Directtv and all those channels, there is a dearth

charlesoakwood

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 11:24:36 AM »

I enjoy Pawn Stars, it's the Las Vegas version
of the "Antiques Roadshow".

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 12:51:16 PM »

I happened to catch a few minutes of "Antiques Roadshow" a month or two ago whilst channel-flipping. A guy brought in a painting that was autographed by the artist G. W. Sotter. He said they brought it to the roadshow as an afterthought.

The man's mother had the painting until she died, and then it went into the man's basement for years. The artist's signature to the man's mother was "To Horny". The man indicated that his mother was "a very adventurous woman."

So by all indications, the artist signed an original portrait to the man's mother with whom he was possibly having an affair, or at least whom he knew intimately at some level.

The painting was appraised at $120-$180K. The poor fella looked like he was gonna pass right the heck out for a few moments.

VIDEO @ LINK
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 04:16:58 PM »
I do occasionally catch a Duck Dynasty episode. Bunch of good ole boys who appear to have married above themselves if you go on thier looks. No one could skip that much work and keep a job.....LOL
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 10:59:29 PM »
Maybe I should have been a bit more to the point with the title of this thread but I was venting about bad reality shows. I know that there are a handful of enjoyable ones out there.

Here is another example of a bad reality show: HGTV's "Design Star"

Yes, this is yet another show that mrs. trapeze tortures me with every year. The formula is simple and thoroughly obnoxious. They take about a dozen yahoos who may or may not have any experience with interior design and make them hang out together and compete viciously against one another for an opportunity to have their own HGTV design television show.

The producers go out of their way to find competitors with extreme personalities. There is almost always two or three black people who are just itching to play the race card. There is always one homo...sometimes two or three. There is always some white guy who seems reasonably normal who isn't an interior decorator but is instead a carpenter or general contractor or something like that. There is always a crazy white woman who will irritate everyone and be eliminated in the first round because she is, after all, a certifiable nut. There are always two serious interior decorators (who are already moderately successful in this business) who have over the top type A personalities and attempt to dominate every situation they find themselves in.

They make these people live together during the competition but the audience is (thankfully) spared from seeing that part of the ordeal. Nevertheless, you can imagine what goes on between these idiots when they are not on camera.

Each episode of the show involves some sort of "design" competition with nearly impossible goals to be met. I say impossible because the contestants are never given anything like a reasonable amount of time or anything approaching a realistic budget to accomplish whatever the objective is. On top of that, in the early rounds, they bunch them up in teams of three or four with zero technical support. That means that there is no carpenter to perform woodworking tasks, no plumber or electrician for those tasks, no painter, etc. The contestants, though, act is if these parts of the job are no big deal and basically fake them with predictable results.

Typically, the contestants will be thrown at some poor family's home and told to "do a makeover" with each team assigned different parts of the home. The homeowners go away for a three day weekend and then return to the horror show that the "designers" make of their home. It's pretty obvious that the producers screen the victims of this abuse for gun ownership because if my home was destroyed (as frequently is the case in this part of the competition) I'd be heading for the gun cabinet within the first five minutes of witnessing the damage. I remember seeing one episode where one of the female prima donna "designers" thought that the dining room needed to be a tropical oasis and literally trucked in several thousand pounds of sand to make the room look like it was on a beach or something. I would have killed them all. But that's me. The suckers in this case went into complete "emperor has no clothes" mode and acted semi-delighted with the fiasco. Supposedly the show brings in professionals after the fact to fix the mess made by their idiot contestants.

Of course, this type of nonsense is exactly what the producers are trying to have happen. They want the contestants to fight amongst themselves. Almost always a total ass will emerge...someone that everyone just loathes, including the audience...and the producers see that this person isn't eliminated until it gets down to the final three or four participants.

The judging is patently unfair. At the end of every episode a group of "experts" critique and judge the work before voting on who will be eliminated from the competition. If this segment of the show was fair the judges would have no idea whose work they were looking at, a blind inspection. But that's not how it happens. They know exactly whose work they are looking at and regardless of how good or bad the work is the judges bring their biases into the picture. They will usually have a "guest" judge to mix things up a bit but it's pretty obvious that the house judges lean very hard on the guest in an attempt to influence the vote. There is always a homo interior decorator judge (in fact, there is now a second fag judge 'cause more better, right?) who will reliably defend the work of any homo contestant unless the work is undeniably atrocious. The verdicts frequently make no sense with what appears to be good and competent work (despite the ridiculous conditions of the competition) losing for no apparent reason.

So it comes down to a couple of contestants surviving several weeks (probably just a week or two in actual production days) of pure misery having been alternately praised and browbeaten by the smug and self important judges. There is a finale where the last two compete head to head. They usually bring back a couple of the popular losers to help them (yeah, that's who I'd want help from, a loser) and then the winner is revealed at the end of the hour.

The truly stupid thing is that the suckers don't even win a real show anymore. Instead they get to be the host of a web show. Whoopee. That's like being told you are going to be the star of your own public access cable channel show like "Wayne's World" broadcast from your mom's basement. HGTV has all the shows it needs and can't be bothered putting one of these mental cases in a prime time slot.

So everyone is cheated. The contestants and the audience. A true suckfest.

I hate this show.

I would much rather see the contestants square off with chainsaws in a cage. Or fed to alligators. Anything but have to kowtow to an effeminate interior decorator, sucking up to a Liberace wannabe...asking for his advice, etc. One of these days the burly carpenter character contestant is going to kill that clod and maybe that will make up for the previous years of banal crap. But probably not. It would be like one of those awful cooking shows with the over the top abusive chef guy berating the hapless chef wannabes and then someone snaps and dumps five gallons of fryer oil on him. Almost certainly not going to happen. But you hope it does.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 11:16:34 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 11:11:13 PM »
The commercials for some of the shows are enough to make you feel stupider for seeing them.

One of my kids tried to get me to watch Dancing with the Stars a few years ago.  I watched for about 15 minutes.  All I could take.  Second rate  or has-been entertainers who act like this show matters.   And how many episodes can you watch? I think it has two or three seasons a year.

The train-wreck shows are just sad.  Who agrees to be on those things anyway?  People with no shame and a desire for their 15 minutes no matter how awful a life they have I guess.

Survivor---to me this show is like Dancing--made up scenarios that are supposed to be dramatic. The only interesting thing about it is the producer is a former british paratrooper who came to the US with zip to see a friend and stayed.  He is an American success story. From Wiki:
In October 1982, (Mark) Burnett decided to leave Britain for the United States where he met up with a friend, Nick Hill, who had also emigrated from Britain a few years earlier and was working as a nanny and chauffeur[citation needed]. Hill knew of an open position for a live-in nanny position with the Jaeger family in Beverly Hills, the interview for which was that night. Though he had no experience in that field, Burnett took the opportunity, and because of his military background, the Jaegers, realizing the advantage of having a nanny and security at the same time, hired him. After a year of working for the Jaegers, he moved on to another family in Malibu, taking care of two boys for $250 a week[citation needed]. He was eventually given a position in the insurance office owned by Burt, the father of the two boys.

Two years later, he decided to rent a portion of a fence at Venice Beach and sell T-shirts for $18 each during weekends. Realizing he made more money selling t-shirts, Burnett left his insurance job[citation needed].

Burnett became a US citizen in 1990.

In 1991, Burnett, along with four others, joined a French adventure competition called the Raid Gauloises. After competing, Burnett saw a business opportunity in holding similar competitions. He purchased the format rights and brought a similar competition, Eco Challenge, to America. Eco Challenge launched Burnett's career as a television producer.[2]

The thing is none of these shows are really reality--they're scripted in some way--they do retakes until it's right.  And any show that is "real" is more documentary.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 11:20:39 PM »
As you noted in your quote, Burnett produced Eco Challenge which was really real and totally badass. Marines and Navy SEALs competed. We used to watch that thing every year and always wished it was longer. I haven't seen it in years and I wonder if it's even done anymore.

That was, in my opinion, the best reality show ever.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 11:32:25 PM »
Re: HGTV's "Design Star"

Sometimes I worry for you Trap. I really do.

::hysterical::

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 11:37:25 PM »
Re: HGTV's "Design Star"

Sometimes I worry for you Trap. I really do.

::hysterical::

There's no need to worry. I endure. Usually, when mrs. trapeze forces me to watch one of these abortions with her (it's a "together" kind of thing for her, I suppose) I will ridicule it mercilessly all the way through ala MST3K. There's always a chance that one day she will snap and kill me but for now I'm okay.

And BTW, my retreat into pop culture is my way of dealing with a world gone horribly wrong. We each cope in our own way.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 11:58:47 PM by trapeze »

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 12:06:00 AM »
Another goodie that I neglected to mention is called "Dual Survival", although I haven't seen any new episodes lately. It features a retired Army Ranger (Dave) and a "minimalist" (Cody), working together pooling their knowledge to live off the land in certain contrived scenarios under whatever conditions are presented. The idea of the show is that the two disciplines can compliment each other for a superior outcome.

At first you think it is a hardcore conservative and a tree-hugging hippie because of how they look. The ranger is a square-jawed, crew-cutted man of grit, and the minimalist is a braid-haired, bandana-wearing hipster who never wears shoes - and I mean never. Even in winter conditions.

After watching the show, you come to admire both guys for the qualities they bring, and there is nothing whatsoever pussified about Cody. He is just as tough and in many ways more suited for rustic survival than Dave. His no-shoes thing was an irritant at first - it seemed like a gimmick. But it's for real. He's toughened the soles of his feet into leather that can withstand cold and terrain. In snow and ice, there were a couple times he wore socks, but that's it. He says he is more sure-footed than shoe-wearing counterparts.

I also like Dog the Bounty Hunter. (Don't throw things at me, I can't help it.)

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 04:13:15 AM »

Yes but History Channel is so loaded up with other non-history trash and politically correct productions that it's become an embarassment .

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 04:14:50 AM »
Cable used to be an escape from network trash . Now we need an escape from cable trash .

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 06:46:46 AM »
Cable used to be an escape from network trash . Now we need an escape from cable trash .

There's the internets...which you have to sort through the trash to find something good. 

Trap mentioned MST3K, loved that show, was a  local production here in Minnie (Joel Hodgson).  Fricken hilarious, always looked forward to catching that!   ::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.