Author Topic: Senate rejects UN treaty for disabled rights in a 61-38 vote  (Read 520 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Senate rejects UN treaty for disabled rights in a 61-38 vote
« on: December 04, 2012, 02:13:16 PM »
Beck was broadcasting and advocating wide-spread oppostion to this all yesterday morning.

A United Nations treaty to ban discrimination against people with disabilities went down to defeat in the Senate on Tuesday in a 61-38 vote.

We already prohibit discrimination against people with disabilities in the US -- to an extent that's downright ridiculous and serves as a lawsuit generator -- so why do we need to sign on to this?

Supporters of the treaty argued that the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities would simply require the rest of the world to meet the standards that Americans already enjoy under the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act.

Yah, John Kerry was out blathering that if we want to continue to call ourselves "exceptional", the Senate needs to display its "exceptionalism" by ratifying this treaty so we can help impose it on the rest of the world.

Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) said the U.N. committee recommendations would be nonbinding, prompting Lee to ask, “if this does nothing, then why would we ratify it?”

Kerry countered that the treaty would allow the United States to serve on the committee to advocate for the rights of U.S. veterans and citizens living or traveling abroad.

“I have not said it does nothing,” Kerry said. “I said it does not change U.S. law, that is different from saying it doesn’t do anything. If it didn’t do anything I wouldn’t be here, nor would President Bush have signed it.”

Bush again.  Yay.

Meantime, what Kerry doesn't say is that our comporting with treaty conditions would require our registering, with the UN, all newborns with disabilities.

Sen. James Inhofe (R-Okla.) argued the treaty would infringe on U.S. sovereignty, an argument echoed by other opponents.

“This unelected bureaucratic body would pass recommendations that would be forced upon the United States if we were a signatory,” he said.

Which, to my way of thinking, is exactly the right way to view it.  Unlike ....

Republican Sens. Kelly Ayotte (N.H.), John Barrasso (Wyo.), Scott Brown (Mass.), Susan Collins (Maine), Dick Lugar (Ind.), John McCain (Ariz.), Olympia Snowe (Maine) and Lisa Murkowski (Alaska) voted with Democrats in favor of the treaty.

... Democrats and advocates for people with disabilities argued that recommendations from a panel created by the treaty would be advisory only, not binding, and that the treaty did not create any new legal rights in state or federal courts. Democrats brought in several Republican senators, including Dole, a disabled veteran, to help make their case.

Republican opposition was led by Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) and former Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.).

Speaking on the Senate floor Tuesday, Lee said he was concerned that U.N. committee recommendations “often fall well beyond the treaty’s goals.”

Fer crissake!  Yeah, sure; an "advisory panel".  Unh hunh.  And need I mention, we've already been told by numerous entities that despite our not having ratified other UN treaties and resolutions that we are to be held accountable anyway because most of the rest of the world signed on.

I was looking at the Christmas tree this morning, thinking, "shame, our last Christmas tree".

BTW, H/T Drudge, who ran this headline on the piece, "SENATE NEARLY APPROVES UN TREATY GRANTING GLOBAL 'RIGHTS' TO DISABLED... "

A vote 61-38 against is NOT "nearly approves".

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: Senate rejects UN treaty for disabled rights in a 61-38 vote
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 03:04:09 PM »
i heard a lot about this last week

this was a way to have control over a part of the population since they didn't get the one on the rights of children last time

btw..these are not treaties at least not as our Founders wanted...
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 03:14:43 PM »
Nothing in the way this country is run today is what our Founders wanted.

The efforts to dismantle what they strove to erect began almost immediately and with great success.  Look where the hell we are now.  I alternate these days between despair and RAGE.

Register our newborns with disabilities ... with the UN?  With anybody?  Killin' needs to happen, I tell ya.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 09:27:10 PM »

Dissolution of the bonds that subjugate us to DC more and more seems the answer.  You know, the only way they acknowledge us is by removing our favorites from committee-ship or otherwise marginalizing them or in the case of Alan West and others redistricting them out of office or spending pot loads of money against their candidacy. 

To Hell With Them.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 09:47:40 PM »
I'm glad this failed, but as in all Leftist agenda items, it will not just go away.

I wonder, after the ratification of such a treaty, how long would it be before "rights" for disabled people included the "right" to die for the common fiscal good upon the word of a faceless bureaucrat?
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 07:18:15 AM »
Indeed, bad leftist ideas never die, they just get recycled, repackaged and respun.  Eternal vigilance is required, and frankly, that is waning...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.