Author Topic: Black Marble  (Read 1399 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

Re: Black Marble
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 09:31:12 PM »

Is that Minneapolis/St.Paul at the western edge?
You can strike a line down from there to Omaha? Kansas City, Oklahoma City, Dallas, and Houston; after that it's pretty much lights out till the left coast.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 09:38:21 PM »

Is that Minneapolis/St.Paul at the western edge?
You can strike a line down from there to Omaha? Kansas City, Oklahoma City, Dallas, and Houston; after that it's pretty much lights out till the left coast.

You can just make out Lake Superior, the light blotch at its SW tip is Duluth, the larger blotch south of it is Mpls/StPaul.  I can't figure out what the big blotch N/NW of us is, that is huge!  Don't recall Yellowstone caldera going off...

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 09:49:57 PM »

Winnipeg?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 09:56:09 PM »
Must have been a heck of a kegger going on there that night, eh!

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 01:18:46 AM »
Great pics, but why do I get the feeling this will become a weapon for the Global Warming folks?
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 02:00:21 AM »
Notice the massive size of the Bakken oil field in Western North Dakota? Looks about 3-4X the land mass of Minneapolis/St.Paul. Roughly the same as Dallas-Forth Worth. Not as densely lit, of course. But still.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 11:25:42 AM »
As the original was locked?   ::thinking::

Oh well, a question was asked there...a question I asked myself.  An answer was postulated, and answer I guessed myself but really didn't know until now.

Yes, that glow northwest of the Twin Cities is Bakken

Pretty impressive. 

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 11:41:58 AM »
Yeah, don't get the lock...  ?

I am shocked at the Bakken glow, that is impressive.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 12:10:19 PM »
So we can observe the most minute details of the Earth's surface, from outer space, in the dark...yet no one can find Obama's college records.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 12:24:51 PM »
Must have been inadvertently locked by one of us admins. Since I'm the last one who posted in the thread, I'll have to claim responsibility, although I have no idea. I unlocked and merged...

::whatgives::

The Bakken boom should be a front-page news item as a prime example of economic potential in the private sector. Instead, it is ignored. I would wager that a majority of the American people have no flipping clue of what is happening in North Dakota.

While the rest of the country suffers Obamanomics to one degree or another, North Dakota is isolated with virtually no involuntary unemployment, and no housing crisis (except a shortage and inability to fill demand). They are literally begging for workers, giving skilled jobs to unskilled people with the expectation that the demand for their labor will bring them up to speed quickly.

There is no excuse for this NOT being a daily talking point on every conservative blog and by every conservative Republican who wants to shine a light on Obama's failures. "Bakken Oil Fields" should be a name everyone in the country associates with American economic prosperity and liberty.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 12:45:14 PM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 12:40:44 PM »

It's a wondrous image I love maps and spent time flipping between a geographical and the USA night image.

To  the tangent: the talking heads complain about his munificence always out there campaigning, "he's campaigning again" etc.  Well hey, what did you geniuses of smart brag about Reagan?
"He went over/around the media straight to the people" - that's how he achieved his goal.  What is Ø doing, he's going straight to the people.  The Pubby's won't go to the people because they know it will be 2010 townhalls revisited.
A pox on their house.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 12:51:00 PM »
I would wager that a majority of the American people have no flipping clue of what is happening in North Dakota.

I agree with you; most have no clue.  The Left, however, when North Dakota's prosperity cannot be hidden, presents events there not as prosperity, but an uptick in pollution, traffic, drunkenness, housing prices with accompanying shortages, and crime due to the importation of a large unsavory element seeking work; it's growth, but as it's also changing the nature of "local communities", towns and cities, it's a bad, bad thing. 

I've witnessed this on the web.  There is, of course, some truth in what is said because the growth does have its offsets, but it is rarely presented by the Lefty trash-talkers in an even-handed recognition of reality.  It's all bad all the time.  And it's all an excuse because they just downright hate the idea that cheap energy is being produced there and they haven't, as yet, been able to stop it.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 02:39:09 PM »
I would wager that a majority of the American people have no flipping clue of what is happening in North Dakota.

I agree with you; most have no clue.  The Left, however, when North Dakota's prosperity cannot be hidden, presents events there not as prosperity, but an uptick in pollution, traffic, drunkenness, housing prices with accompanying shortages, and crime due to the importation of a large unsavory element seeking work; it's growth, but as it's also changing the nature of "local communities", towns and cities, it's a bad, bad thing.  

I've witnessed this on the web.  There is, of course, some truth in what is said because the growth does have its offsets, but it is rarely presented by the Lefty trash-talkers in an even-handed recognition of reality.  It's all bad all the time.  And it's all an excuse because they just downright hate the idea that cheap energy is being produced there and they haven't, as yet, been able to stop it.

Yup. Doesn't fit the sustainability model very well, does it? Of course, then neither does me owning my own home, driving my own car, or... being alive.

::overkill::

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 05:26:27 PM »
So we can observe the most minute details of the Earth's surface, from outer space, in the dark...yet no one can find Obama's college records.
The reason is transparent even if the O Regime isn't!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 05:31:43 PM »
Odd though that ND voting laws are even more liberal than Minnie, not everyting is perfect there, but the Bakken should be huge news and isn't because of democrat-media complex dogma.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 06:55:22 AM »

I agree with you; most have no clue.  The Left, however, when North Dakota's prosperity cannot be hidden, presents events there not as prosperity, but an uptick in pollution, traffic, drunkenness, housing prices with accompanying shortages, and crime due to the importation of a large unsavory element seeking work; it's growth, but as it's also changing the nature of "local communities", towns and cities, it's a bad, bad thing. 

I've witnessed this on the web.  There is, of course, some truth in what is said because the growth does have its offsets, but it is rarely presented by the Lefty trash-talkers in an even-handed recognition of reality.  It's all bad all the time.  And it's all an excuse because they just downright hate the idea that cheap energy is being produced there and they haven't, as yet, been able to stop it.

Anyone wants to compare an increase in crime, such as rowdy bar fights, to our own Sh*tholeapolis, go ahead.  Make my Statistical Day.

But yes.  I've lost count of the local stories detailing how bad North Dakota is, now.