Author Topic: Regime to use executive order to reclassify semi-auto firearms?  (Read 3447 times)

Offline robins111

Re: Regime to use executive order to reclassify semi-auto firearms?
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 07:36:39 AM »
This incident and the lefty reaction is almost exactly the same as what happened in Canada.. our incident was the murder of 14 women at a college in Montreal, which was the fuel for the Canadian gun control scheme.  The legislation became a monstrosity, which among other things, created the Long Gun Registry, which was recently repealed.  An unintended consequence was that it created the greatest example of civil disobedience in Canadian history, where, formerly law abiding citizens refused to follow the dictates of the government, it is estimated that less than 30% of the firearms in Canada were ever registered, and people started deliberately messing with the system, among other things, they registered glue guns, staple guns, soldering irons, plastic toys, and one enterprising gentleman, registered his hog.  The end result was the total destruction of 1 political party, and the almost destruction of another.  This was from, polite, law abiding Canada.  The one thing, we found was that much of the legislation was in fact, unconstitutional, and was illegal under our charter (Bill of Rights).  Second our provinces challenged the legislation and in most cases, refused to apply the legislation..   In the end, I think you'll find that your greatest strength against this type of legislation is at the state level.. I simply can't see, Texas, or North Dakota, enforcing any stupid legislation..  keep your powder dry guys..

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2012, 07:54:17 AM »
That's a good point Robin. Not only Texas or North Dakota - hell, I can't even see Minnesota making any concerted effort to come for people's guns based on a regulatory or executive diktat. Even though it is overrun by hardcore Leftists, the DFL (MN Democrat party) knows that such an action would surely have massive electoral consequences.

MN's "gun-culture" (to reluctantly use the Left's characterizing term) is firmly established. Our open-carry firearm law was hard-fought, is widely exercised, and none of the blood-in-the-streets predictions of the Left have come to pass, and violent crime has gone down, just as it always does.

I'm beginning to think that this bluster we're hearing from the Left is driven by opportunism and their irresistible desire to demagogue every crisis, but that reality will not permit federal legislative action that will get them anything they want. If there is any threat, it is by Obama's penchant for ruling by diktat, and I don't think states will obey. Not even Minnesota. With all the bluster, they think they're seizing the moment, when the reality is that they're overreaching like they always, always do.

I'm betting on the NRA injecting a double-down dose of reality tomorrow at LaPierre's press conference that'll remind many Democrat and some Republican legislators why they're anxious for the hype surrounding this tragedy to fade away. Hope I'm not wrong.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline robins111

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2012, 08:12:41 AM »
Iron, I also think it needs to be pointed out, that in the last 30 years, Canada has had the most stringent gun control laws in North America.,  The ground zero, for these laws, is the very left wing, Province of Quebec, point of fact, they are taking the federal government to court to retain the Long Gun Registry..  Interestingly, there is only 1 city in North America that has had, 3 school massacres in the last 25 years.. Montreal, after those laws were passed. Another interesting fact is, they just released a guy, who was known to be an abuser, who stabbed his two children to death with almost 50 strokes , when he had served two (2) years of sentence.. 

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2012, 10:03:38 AM »
For all of my frustration at what I honestly believed was the inflammatory labeling of semi-autos as "assault weapons", it turns out the classification is, indeed, correct, thanks to Congress:

The fabled assault weapon ban

"Few laws ever passed have been as idolized — and misunderstood — as Title XI of the Federal Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, Subtitle A (the Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act).

To listen to the Obama administration, the media, or the nominated head of the ATF spin it, the ban made it illegal to purchase machine guns, and outlawed the ownership or use of high-capacity magazines, saving billions, perhaps trillions, of lives.

That mischaracterization is as wrong as it is laughable. The law had nothing to do with machine guns and real military-issue assault rifles, and did nothing to measurably impact violent crime.

The purpose of the law was to ban the sale and importation of certain semi-automatic (one bullet fired per trigger pull) firearms by name, and a wider group of firearms that had an arbitrarily selected list of  largely cosmetic features. These features did not affect the rate of fire, accuracy, or range of the firearms impacted. Firearms were determined to be “assault weapons” – a term that was created by the law itself – if it had two or more of the following features:"

The rest at the link.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2012, 11:16:48 AM »
Thanks for the reminder Pan.

::gaah::

I hatez these Nazis!

::angry::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2012, 11:40:41 AM »
Oh, and I'd pay good money to kick the crap out of this foreign asshat!

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/12/cnns-piers-morgan-continues-anti-gun-jihad-tells-pro-gun-advocate-you-shame-your-country/

GET THE HELL OUT OF MY COUNTRY!

Offline robins111

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2012, 01:08:02 PM »

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/12/cnns-piers-morgan-continues-anti-gun-jihad-tells-pro-gun-advocate-you-shame-your-country/

Notice how Piers, never mentions that gun crimes increased by 100% in his home country after they banned them, in some areas up to 5x increase.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2012, 11:52:22 PM »
Larry Pratt is my hero!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2012, 09:30:44 AM »

Notice how Piers, never mentions that gun crimes increased by 100% in his home country after they banned them, in some areas up to 5x increase.

Yeah, that would be bad form to talk about that, would be fun to see it beat over his head until he passes out though....

People need to viciously and rabidly attack the idiotic positions and statements of these clowns and shout them down, so what if they cut your mic and turn the camera away, if everybody did that they'd have nobody to talk to and their studios would turn into boring echo-chambers...just ask Cwissy Maffews...

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2013, 12:00:43 AM »
from ricochet.com

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2013, 10:26:36 PM »
from ricochet.com

I hope you don't mind if I steal that.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2013, 07:03:01 AM »
Agreed, gotta stash that one!