Author Topic: The Politics of Beer  (Read 2035 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
The Politics of Beer
« on: December 10, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
I found this linked on AoS.

Why am I posting this? Well, I like beer. I like beer a lot. It's not that I'm a big drinker or anything. Well, not anymore...to my eternal shame I drank like a fish when I was a youngster. So although I now drink in what could be called extreme moderation these days, I have retained my love for beer. It is, like an occasional expensive cigar, one of life's great pleasures.

So there is this post* and it has an accompanying graphic which leads me to the second reason why I am posting this...

...that most Republican (and I will take the liberty of assuming that equates to most conservative) of beers is the one that has been my current favorite for well over a decade, Shiner Bock.

And, btw, who would have guessed that Bud Light was the drink of middle of the road types? Yeah? I would have, too.

Who says these things aren't scientific?

*The link is to Doug Ross' blog where he links it back to a National Journal article from September so it's a pre-election thing.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Re: The Politics of Beer
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 09:21:25 PM »
I should have searched this before posting it since Libertas put this up in the spring. And I commented on it then...I guess my memory is not what it used to be.

I did remember, though, that I had posted earlier on my trip to the brewery in Shiner, TX.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 09:24:43 PM »
Why would anyone drink a "lite" anything much less lite beer?

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 09:37:12 PM »

The answer to that one is easy: If it's free and you are thirsty.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 10:18:57 PM »

The answer to that one is easy: If it's free and you are thirsty.

I suppose so. I had just noticed that most of the "lite" crap was over on the right side of the table and that disturbs me (I won't lose any sleep over it  ;) )

The other thing that I noticed is that I must be a beer-whore cuz I drink everything from Henry's to Corona - as long as it's not a lite. Here in leftyville they have tons of microbrewery's so that's on the list as well. I love Sam Adams and my favorite is Alaskan Amber.

Just don't lite me bro  ::USA::

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 10:54:34 PM »

Lone Star, that takes some huevos.  Expected to see Budweiser on the right side.  Guess Schlitz and Pabst have gone the long highway.  I enjoyed Falstaff with a little stout in it.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 11:55:49 PM »
I didn't think you could buy Michelob anymore. I haven't seen or drank one of those in 25 years.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 06:27:17 AM »
I should have searched this before posting it since Libertas put this up in the spring. And I commented on it then...I guess my memory is not what it used to be.

I did remember, though, that I had posted earlier on my trip to the brewery in Shiner, TX.

It's all good Trap, it's the sharing of info that is important after all!

I like Sam Adams, but back in the day when I guzzled mass quantities I liked regular 'ol Michelob too.  Pretty much lite anything tastes like Yak urine (not that I've tasted Yak urine) and immediately calls into question your sexuality.  Michelob Light (gay!), Michelob Ultra (very gay!)  and Amber Boch (not bad) are the only Michelob products I see anymore.

Since my voting participation is about to take a steep decline, somebody tell me about this Lone Star, as a fall back there is Shiner which I am not familiar with either.  ,;Details please!

ETA- Having a Shiner bock with dinner. Good beer, good taste, nice color, l like it. Prosit!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 06:58:02 PM by Libertas »
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.