Author Topic: Human Events Conservative of the Year: WI Gov Scott Walker  (Read 476 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Human Events Conservative of the Year: WI Gov Scott Walker
« on: December 21, 2012, 09:56:00 AM »
He ought to be conservative of the year for 2011 and 2012, if you ask me. No one has done more policy-wise to advance conservative principles and reap the rewards manifest in the results than Scott Walker. He's not flashy. He's not extremely charismatic. But he said what he meant and he meant what he said, he stuck to principle, and now the people of Wisconsin are reaping the benefits.

Scott Walker: Conservative of the Year 2012

Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin has been named the Human Events Conservative of the Year 2012, succeeding Rep. Paul Ryan, Human Events announced Thursday.

The Editors said Walker was chosen because he brought the benefits of conservatism to a financially troubled state, and survived numerous harsh encounters with a relentlessly hostile political environment. He was denounced, protested, and demonized to the point where he shared space with Adolf Hitler and deposed Egyptian strongman Hosni Mubarak on protest signs.

Big Labor unleashed a tidal wave of money and organizational power against him. His adversaries were willing to break every rule to take him down — from unionized teachers abandoning their classrooms so they could join protest marches, to Democratic officials literally fleeing across state lines in a desperate bid to shut down state government.

And yet, Walker beat them time and again, becoming the first U.S. governor to survive a recall election. Friend and foe alike testify to Walker’s sincerity and conviction.  He is soft of voice, mild of manner, and has a steel spine.

In the years to come, as Americans deal with the consequences of the vote they cast in 2012, they’ll want to hear from leaders with a resume of both political and policy success like Scott Walker.

When Rep. Paul Ryan was informed of the choice, he said: “Scott is a model governor, a true conservative, and a great friend. I’m delighted to see him receive this honor.”

And as 2010 recipient, Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.), put it: “Gov. Walker’s courageous stand on behalf of  taxpayers and sound economic principles has been an inspiration. As he worked to steer his state towards prosperity he also gave some much-needed guidance for conservatives all over the nation who are confronting the very same problems out-of-control government unions are causing to budgets around the country.”

Tim Phillips, president of Americans for Prosperity, had this to say about our pick: “Simply put, Scott Walker is the best governor in the country. He has taken often difficult, bold steps to bring economic freedom and prosperity to the great state of Wisconsin.”
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: Human Events Conservative of the Year: WI Gov Scott Walker
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 10:09:27 AM »
There are still idiots in Wisconsin that don't see or want to acknowledge the improvements in their state

Tim Phillips, president of Americans for Prosperity, had this to say about our pick: “Simply put, Scott Walker is the best governor in the country. He has taken often difficult, bold steps to bring economic freedom and prosperity to the great state of Wisconsin.”

almost makes me want to move to Wisconsin...

it's cold far too many days and it's next to Canada...

hmmm...
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 02:40:31 PM »
I think the most important thing Walker has done is to serve as an effective example for others. It's stark proof that standing for principles does work, even in a state like Wisconsin which isn't known as a bastion of conservatism.  I wish the national GOP would wise up and take notice.

I think Walker's influence is already manifesting in other states.  North Carolina's recently elected Republican governor is floating the idea of eliminating the state's income tax to make it more competitive with other states like Texas. I am pleased to hear it. The state and local level is where the political fight is, at least for the foreseeable future.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline MacWell™

• Likes the place
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 06:32:52 PM »
I believe you're right Glock. I don't see any subtenant changes coming to DC in the near future. I know I've been yelling about this for a while, but I think it's time we the people stop electing lawyers to OUR Congress. We, as a party must begin to explain to people that Congress was never intended to be anyone's career, and it certainly wasn't intended to be filled with lawyers. Now understand, I have nothing against lawyers, they are necessary in a country of laws. The biggest drawback they have is that I think they look at our government like a giant tort case, and apply their logic thusly. I'm sick of seeing 3000+ page bills that no one can understand. I'm tired of them hiding behind closed doors when they're representing us. I want to see all Congressional business, save for national defense, on CSPAN, everyday! I'd like to see debates posted on government websites for all to take part in. I'd like a lot of things, and I'm not, for a second, claiming that lawyers are the only thieves in DC. Our entire Congress looks out for themselves, not for us.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 05:57:12 PM »
l like Walker, but it also says something that he didn't have much in the way of competition.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.