Author Topic: Mind Numbingly Horrid Reality Shows  (Read 1999 times)

RickZ

Re: Mind Numbingly Horrid Reality Shows
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 06:52:21 AM »
MST3K:  From back when ComedyCentral was actually, you know, funny.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 06:58:45 AM »
MST3K:  From back when ComedyCentral was actually, you know, funny.

Yeah, it's all angry liberals now...women, minorities...gays, all screaming, cursing and spewing garbage while idiots nervously laugh at their BS because they are too stupid to do anything else...

I bet I haven't watched more than 60 minutes of that channel in the past decade...likely much much less than that!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

RickZ

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 07:41:46 AM »
In the late '90s, I almost went to see The Daily Show with Craig Kilborn (my friend at the time had free tickets but I couldn't go).  Again, back when The Daily Show was funny.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 07:49:42 AM by RickZ »

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 09:52:31 AM »
Re: HGTV's "Design Star"

Sometimes I worry for you Trap. I really do.

::hysterical::

There's no need to worry. I endure. Usually, when mrs. trapeze forces me to watch one of these abortions with her (it's a "together" kind of thing for her, I suppose) I will ridicule it mercilessly all the way through ala MST3K. There's always a chance that one day she will snap and kill me but for now I'm okay.

And BTW, my retreat into pop culture is my way of dealing with a world gone horribly wrong. We each cope in our own way.

The mere fact that you mention that your perspective is colored with an MST3K filter means that there is still hope for you ;-)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2012, 11:35:57 AM »
Wow, the detailed objections, coming as it does from an asshat whose party makes EXPLOITING PEOPLE a party SOP, is ironic and hilarious!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/2chambers/wp/2012/12/07/joe-manchin-objects-to-mtvs-buckwild-reality-show/

Joe "Buckwild" Manchin, man about DC.

::mooning::

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2012, 12:51:35 AM »
mrs. trapeze has found herself a new reality show and this one isn't horrid. It's actually pretty good, especially from the doomsday prepper point of view.

It's called Alaska: The Last Frontier.

It's interesting because it shows three generations of a family living a subsistence lifestyle in a remote and difficult place. It's interesting because there is an emphasis on what they do rather than the "drama" between the characters that is so prevalent in other reality shows. Every time the show comes back from a commercial break they put up a disclaimer for liberals, telling them that there is a lot of animal killing. Poor liberals. Screw them. Every person carries a gun, all the time, everywhere because, hey, predators. So there's lots of animal killing which is good. And there is a lot of examples of survival stuff, making do with what you have.

Now, of course, there is the usual BS that is in every reality show. Things like pretending that there isn't a camera crew present. Like, for instance, when two of them (husband and wife) are out in the middle of nowhere, ice fishing, and the pull cord on one of the snowmobiles breaks. They act like it's a crisis. OH, NO! What are we gonna do?! We'll be stranded! Which is ridiculous. They have a second snowmobile plus the camera crew didn't walk to get there. I hate fake drama. It's stupid. But thankfully this type of nonsense is kept to a minimum.

And there is no explanation for what these families do to make money. They have to make money, after all, to buy the things that they cannot make or scavenge. Stuff like roofing metal, ammunition, cigarettes, propane, kerosene, gasoline (and snowmobiles and ATVs), diesel fuel, electricity, etc. Let's face it, there is no such thing as true subsistence living in a world where modern conveniences exist. People will find a way to get them as they should. To not make use of modern stuff would be to force people into the stone age in short order. Heck, even the Amish make use of modern stuff whenever it suits them. So, it would be nice to know how these Alaskan homesteaders make money (or barter) for life's little conveniences.

On the plus side, they mostly do not make the characters (I don't know what to call them...they aren't actors) look like freaks which seems to be the goal of most reality shows. Every once in a while the producers do it...one episode shows one of them picking up a road kill porcupine to eat, another character harvests a partially eaten (by a predator) fish on the shoreline of a lake. But that's about the extent of the highlighted weirdness.

But on balance this is a good show and it makes for an interesting look at what it takes to live in a harsh environment, something that preppers might want to look at, I suppose.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 01:15:29 AM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2012, 07:30:39 AM »

Offline benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2012, 03:16:45 PM »
The reality shows I can't stand (not that I can stand any of them) are the musical ones.  American Idol, The Voice, etc.  What ever happened with musicians actually starting off as a local bar band and being discovered.  All reality TV is drek.
Eschew Obfuscation