Author Topic: Kitchen Utensils That Have Changed Your Life  (Read 14278 times)

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
Re: Kitchen Utensils That Have Changed Your Life
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 11:30:47 AM »
I'll need this contraption, because when the SHTF I don't wanna run out of hooch!

http://www.whiskeystill.net/

Now this looks interesting.

I'm not much of a drinker anymore but this would be good to have in a SHTF situation

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 11:39:50 AM »
I'll need this contraption, because when the SHTF I don't wanna run out of hooch!

http://www.whiskeystill.net/

Now this looks interesting.

I'm not much of a drinker anymore but this would be good to have in a SHTF situation

Yeah, even if you don't partake yourself the barter value is obvious.  And I think word got out too, all but the small unit are out of stock.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

RickZ

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2013, 01:32:24 PM »
What kinds of recipes would one put zest in? Is it something that lends itself to experimentation, or is it best to put it in specific recipes that call for it?

Okay, here's my thoughts.

First off, anything that calls for any juice, I use fresh citrus but zest first.  If the juice is for marinade, then I'll add the zest to the sauce (at the end, off heat).

Like I also mentioned, zesting is great in baking.  Lemon zest and fresh reduced juice make the most amazing lemon cookies.  With a sugar icing.  Yum-yum!

Since you like salads, IDP, add zest to homemade dressings.  For example, a mixed green salad topped with a couple of breaded and quickly fried goat cheese slices, chopped walnuts, and a dijon mustard-orange zest dressing, adding a few of the orange wedges to make it look perty.

I sprinkle zest on some meat dishes right on the plate, especially the slow roasted variety.  Zest perks up meat.  You could make a chimichurri sauce, or whatever flavors you like.  Myself, my go-to flavor combo is fresh squeezed orange juice, orange zest and hoi-sin sauce, with other flavors varying by mood.  But that orange/hoi-sin combo is great.  Adding the zest to stir-frys at the end is also a great flavor enhancer.  Frying up some small chicken pieces for orange chicken, not a bad choice, either.

But seriously, you can use zest in places you never thought they'd go.  I put lemon zest in my twice baked potato:  Lemon flavor but no liquid.  I also love the Greek roasted lemon potatoes, except I punch it up at the end with the pre-zested lemon.

You want to kick up a bloody mary?  Not only lemon and lime wedges, but a dusting of lemon and lime zest.

Using your basic red cocktail sauce for seafood, substitute (for lemon) lime and lime zest, along with adding some fresh chopped cilantro.  Your shrimp will thank me later.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 01:36:09 PM »
OK, now you went and made my saliva glands spontaneously ejaculate. I need a cig, and I don't even smoke.
 ::exitstageleft::

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

RickZ

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, 01:38:49 PM »
Yes, I like that this garlic press has some weight to it and it is easy to clean and no, i don't put it in the dishwasher*.

I'm glad you like the weight, too.  For me, that's important.  Same for the cleanup.  I'll hazard a guess and say that you'll be using that garlic press quite often.  And the more you use it, the more you will appreciate it.  At least that's been my experience.

RickZ

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2013, 02:13:35 PM »
Let me add that there can be whole naked citrus fruit in my fridge.  I used the zest but didn't need the juice at that moment.  Nude lemon slices get squeezed into tea.  If I don't use the orange any time soon, I'll squeeze it and have a couple of swallows.  If I have limes, I'll use the naked wedges in my cranberry juice in the morning for a virgin sea breeze.  I also like virgin bloody marys using lemon and lime, but substituting lower sodium V-8.

In other words, I'll use zest for one thing, and I'll find a use for the juice in something else.  Waste not, want not.

Orange and vanilla flavored french toast dusted with sifted powdered sugar and served with warm ginger flavored maple syrup.  Now we're talking beyond foreplay.

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2013, 02:40:57 PM »
Does my wife count??  (Okay, NOBODY RAT ME OUT! THIS MEANS YOU PANDORA!)
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2013, 02:56:45 PM »
Aw hell, fella, you do a fine job ratting yourself out without any help from me; seen it with my own two eyes.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2013, 07:53:17 PM »
I think RickZ is the zest king.

I think I've used my new garlic press just about everyday that I've cooked.  I'll let you know when it gets to "changed-my-life" staus".    ;D

I do use zest of lemon and lime often.  I use my old box grater.  I guess I need to get a zester and prove RickZ correct again.  Anyway, I also have naked cirtus in my fridge.  If I happen to need the juice but not the zest, I zest anyway and throw it in the freezer.  There have been times I needed fresh juice and didn't have it so I used a pinch of zest from the freezer.

I just realized that my change-your-life gadget is my glass citrus juicer. ::danceban::  I love, love using fresh citrus juice. 

One day I got out the old one my mom had given me and I was sold on using fresh juice.  I can't stand the bottled stuff any more.  I've broken a couple and I scout out another at our church rummage sale for a dollar or less.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

RickZ

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2013, 04:51:52 AM »
I've broken a couple and I scout out another at our church rummage sale for a dollar or less.

I need a juicer.  I should of thought of this sooner.  Because I do know.

Growing up, my Mom had this cookware called Guardian, heavy aluminum, with handles that allowed for a universal handle attachment (space saver, I guess), with glass lids and even an odd shape, triangular.  She had the 14" deep saute/light fry pan, 2 triangular pots, a small and smaller saucepan, along with a pancake griddle.  Well I was at a church flea market over 20 years ago.  I saw the Guardian pizza pan for the amazingly low price of $10.  I scarfed that thing right up.  When I told my Mom, she wondered/questioned/hinted if it was for her.  I said no, I make pies, and it's a keeper.  She said she always wanted it but never found it.  Yet here I did find it at a Methodist Church rummage sale.  I still use that pie pan, 15-1/2 to 16" across.  Makes the best pies because it is so neavy.  Plus, my oven has the heat source on the bottom, it being the top of the low slide out broiler tray.  When I cook a pie, I'll leave it on the bottom for a good couple of minutes to really crust up the dough.  It's more like lasagna pie as I layer so many things on it that it has to cool a little, or rest, before you cut into it and serve it.  I've been known to wait 10-15 minutes at home, the damn thing's so hot.  Anyway, great pan for $10.  So I'll have to be on the lookout for those glass juicers, because I really do need one and that would be a great way to buy something attractive but cheap.  Thanks for the reminder.

Tha pizza pan I bought.  Quite hefty.

One of those triangular pots and glass lid.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2013, 11:01:06 AM »
I looked at the Guardian link.  I'm seen that before.  Maybe mom had some or maybe it showed up at our church rummage sale. A lot of interesting stuff shows up there every year. (Something like 65-70% of our church is over 65 and half of those are over 80.) I got a cast iron skillet for $2 one year even though I needed another like a hole in the head.  I couldn't resist.  I did buy a old manual meat grinder once too for like $4 even though as of yet I haven't grinded any meat.  Seemed like a cool thing at the time.  Every few years I buy one of those nut choppers with that screws onto a glass jar.  I guess I chop a lot of nuts because I eventually break the spring.  I pick one up for 50 cents.  That's also a gadget I can't do without.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2013, 12:10:19 PM »
Lady V, I'll let you know how those old hand meat grinders work out in a week or so.
Looking to make my first deer bologna

Parents had a really good one that had ground up many a pig and cow. Mom passed and we were getting reafy to move into the house.
Had the auctioneer here.

Giving him the tour, I pointed at the meat grinder and the old cast iron waffle iron and told him they stay.
They went

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2013, 12:26:38 PM »
Lady V, I'll let you know how those old hand meat grinders work out in a week or so.
Looking to make my first deer bologna

Parents had a really good one that had ground up many a pig and cow. Mom passed and we were getting reafy to move into the house.
Had the auctioneer here.

Giving him the tour, I pointed at the meat grinder and the old cast iron waffle iron and told him they stay.
They went

Sometimes when I wander through an antique mall I point out the things I recall seeing at my grandma's house (and even a few things my mom had) and my kids just laugh.  I do wish we had some of those things still. 

RickZ

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2013, 07:54:04 AM »
I think RickZ is the zest king.

I had to think about this because I do sound like a zealot.  I think I've figured out why:  I hate boring vegetables.

Most people spend a lot of time on the main course, but vegetables are all too often an afterthought, even in nice restaurants.  So for me, zest adds, well, zest to vegetables.  I simply cannot stand plain steamed vegetables.  There has to be a sauce, like a lemon or a cheese sauce for broccoli, but again, no longer boring.  My Mom lost all her herb/spice perspective when it came to vegetables.  They were there, . . . on the plate, . . . waiting for the adults to turn their heads so the dog got some.  I guess that's why I like a perky vegetable, braised or stir fried or roasted -- with lots of flavor.  I bought a coffee grinder to use for spices and now toast my own coriander/cumin/fennel and other seeds, as well as dry roasting dried chilis before grinding.  Toasted ground coriander and ground cumin seed makes my carrots real happy; they're even happier with a low sodium beef broth instead of water.  A lot of flavor.  We, as a Nation, only seem to do side vegetable all out on the holidays, specifically Thanksgiving, but they all seem to have a sweet edge to them.  I like savory.  Toasting seeds and using zest makes vegetables stand out, gives them oomph for the ol' taste buds.  And I have to say I was using zest before my heart problems/diet considerations.  Now the zest is a real bonus.  Like I said, flavor but no fat.  It's not like I'm giving up anything.  My taste buds' cravings are satisfied by the sharp and savory flavors of zest and/or fresh ground toasted seeds.

So yeah, I guess I am the zest king:  I hate boring vegetables.

/Let me know when The Crusade Against Boring Vegetables begins.  I'll be there with my accoutrement:  Coffee grinder and zester.  Once more unto the stove, dear friends, once more. . . .

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2013, 12:19:07 PM »
 ::hysterical::
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2013, 12:54:48 PM »
Well, I for one, enjoy your crusade on behalf of vegetable.

And I would not have a garlic press if not for you.

::thumbsup::

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2013, 01:04:47 PM »
Good knives.
And my Rada sharpener.

You'd think as a country boy that I would be able to sharpen knives well.
We butchered our own animals and dressed out any game.

I can't sharpen worth a darn. When I do get it right it's just by luck and trial and error.

This little Rada sharpener is amazing.
With my handicap, I've tried a number of sharpeners but this one really works

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2013, 02:03:09 PM »

We use this sharpener and it works very well.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2013, 02:16:28 PM »
Where do you get something like that, Pan?"
I have almost every kind known to man but haven't seen those
Whetstones, diamond sharpeners...

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2013, 02:20:40 PM »
Is any of this Barbarian compliant?  I bet I could destroy some of these doohickies without even trying...

::bus::

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.