Author Topic: what kind of AR do you have?  (Read 731 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
what kind of AR do you have?
« on: December 16, 2012, 10:39:17 PM »
I know some of you have mentioned your ARs before. What manufacturer do you have? If I can find one in stock, I am getting one this week. It's now or never, that much is obvious. Demand was already spiking before the reignited call for a new AWB, I know it must be astronomical now.  Last time I checked my local shop, they had several basic no frills versions made by DPMS. Anyone with experience with them? The example I handled seemed decent enough.

I just never really looked at ARs before, because I already have several other rifles and the old beater AK always seemed like enough. Shoulda known better.

ETA - also looking at the SIG M400. I had no idea Wal-Mart carried those.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 11:05:41 PM by Glock32 »
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: what kind of AR do you have?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 01:20:02 AM »
Mine is a standard DPMS in .223 with an added 2X red-dot scope. It was relatively inexpensive, is accurate as hell, fun to shoot, and functions properly every time. No issues with it whatsoever.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 07:01:17 AM »
I just got my Huldra 5.56 a few weeks ago, I haven't even had time to break her in yet, but I figured getting it was more important than having time to play with it.  Fleet Farm I think has an exclusive deal to sell them.  Made locally and are gas-piston operated and seem to be reliable.  There are some interesting videos of guys doing torture tests on them and pumped 6-7k rounds of corrosive Russian rounds through it without any cleaning before the first FTF's showed up.  I'll have to get it out sometime and see how she performs, but there are few ranges about and they have been busy!  (Lot's of rifle shooting and handgun, but more rifle of late, I think people everywhere are having the same ideas as we and gun sales seem to be bearing that out!)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Gunsmith

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 08:13:20 AM »
Glock,

DPMS's I have not heard or read of any major issues with their version of AR(s) I would not be afraid to buy one of them. It seems almost every major and most minor manufacturer has an AR in their products lines.  The AR has been around long enough that the design flaws of the early versions have been eliminated.

I would recommend getting 5.56 over the .223. Why? cause you can shoot .223 in the 5.56 you can't shoot 5.56 in the .223.

I personally would purchase the gas-piston over the original gas impingement system or convert mine over to gas piston. Why? cause on humid/moist days the potential of foulling is greater and the piston version are easy and I think faster to clean.

I would not worry about buying one with all the bells & whistles get one that has the minimum what you need. Why? cause the after market for AR bells & whistles is HUGHE and you can purchase those toys at the time of your choosing and probably at a price that you'll like more.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 10:44:03 AM »
Well I got a vanilla DPMS. Actually I have not even seen it yet. I bought it sight unseen because it was literally the last one in the store. I figure the lower receiver is really the main thing I want, pretty much everything else can be swapped out to my preferences later.

I did specifically look for a 5.56 chamber as Gunsmith mentioned above. This one has specs that read "5.56 / .223", so I assume if it is stamped with 5.56 then it has a chamber capable of safely firing the NATO round.  It has a 1-9 twist rate.  I would have preferred the 1-7 twist, but I guess 1-9 is a good compromise that should offer good performance on a variety of bullet weights.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly