Author Topic: Charles Durning, 89  (Read 1062 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Charles Durning, 89
« on: December 25, 2012, 09:25:38 AM »
One of my earlier memories of Durning (unless I'm misremembering) was a 70s TV mini-series called "The Captains and the Kings" or something like that. Every time I saw him in anything, that would be my first frame of reference.

Charles Durning, king of character actors, dies in NYC

Charles Durning grew up in poverty, lost five of his nine siblings to disease, barely lived through D-Day and was taken prisoner at the Battle of the Bulge.
His hard life and wartime trauma provided the basis for a prolific 50-year career as a consummate Oscar-nominated character actor, playing everyone from a Nazi colonel to the pope to Dustin Hoffman's would-be suitor in "Tootsie."
Durning, who died Monday at age 89 in New York, got his start as an usher at a burlesque theater in Buffalo, N.Y. When one of the comedians showed up too drunk to go on, Durning took his place. He would recall years later that he was hooked as soon as heard the audience laughing.
He told The Associated Press in 2008 that he had no plans to stop working. "They're going to carry me out, if I go," he said....
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 09:33:09 AM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: Charles Durning, 89
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 11:02:51 AM »
There was a time when actors would serve in the military, especially during wartime and in combat.

Even Elvis served.

Now we have Ashton Kutcher.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 12:33:51 PM »
There was a time when actors would serve in the military, especially during wartime and in combat.

Even Elvis served.

Now we have Ashton Kutcher.

Ain't that the truth.  And Justin Bieber.

Mr. Durning had a good run.  RIP, sir.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 12:49:39 PM »
Durning's rugged early life provided ample material on which to base his later portrayals. He was born into an Irish family of 10 children in 1923, in Highland Falls, New York, a town near West Point. His father was unable to work, having lost a leg and been gassed during World War I, so his mother supported the family by washing the uniforms of West Point cadets.

The younger Durning himself would barely survive World War II.

He was among the first wave of U.S. soldiers to land at Normandy during the D-Day invasion and the only member of his Army unit to survive. He killed several Germans and was wounded in the leg. Later he was bayoneted by a young German soldier whom he killed with a rock. He was captured in the Battle of the Bulge and survived a massacre of prisoners.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2012/12/25/charles-durning-dies-actor/1790203/

Well done, sir!   ::USA::

And isn't this a rarity in today's primadonna dominated world - "I never turned down anything and never argued with any producer or director," Durning told the Associated Press in 2008, when he was honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

::thumbsup::

R.I.P. Charles.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 04:23:47 PM »
A rarity in Hollywierd. An actual man's man.

RIP, Charles.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 05:43:12 PM »
  Loved him in Best Little whore house in Texas. R.I.P.

Sidestep - Charles Durning - The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas.mp4
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 12:06:58 AM »
Wow, the only difference between him and the current president is the press actually questioned this guy and didn't buy the song and dance.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 07:35:46 AM »
Anther from a time when aspiring to be like pop culture was a good thing.

RIP  ::USA::