Author Topic: I can't help it  (Read 1442 times)

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
I can't help it
« on: December 25, 2012, 04:08:11 PM »
This is THE CHRISTmas story as far as I'm concerned. I've watched it since I was a kid and it's still just as powerful as it was then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dj9mpBdUAU&feature=player_detailpage

Merry CHRISTmas to all of you. May your blessings be plentiful.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: I can't help it
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 04:01:56 AM »
Indeed. Such nostalgia, hearing Linus recite scripture. It reminds us not only of the true meaning of Christmas, but also of the foundation of Americana that the Left is ripping away.

Until we are dead, the spirit evoked by this slice of God and America cannot die.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 07:43:26 AM »
And the powers that be didn't like it then.  Only the full force of Schultz's incredible celebrity got that final scene to stay.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 08:52:21 AM »
And the powers that be didn't like it then.  Only the full force of Schultz's incredible celebrity got that final scene to stay.

I wasn't aware of that little tidbit.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 10:01:09 AM »
I just read about it somewhere...where...

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2012/12/a-merry-power-line-christmas.php

Schulz wanted A Charlie Brown Christmas to have the religious meaning that was central to his own experience of Christmas. . .   Even Schulz admitted that he was probably the only person who could have gotten A Charlie Brown Christmas made. Television executives hated it from the start.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 10:33:29 AM »
I just read about it somewhere...where...

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2012/12/a-merry-power-line-christmas.php

Schulz wanted A Charlie Brown Christmas to have the religious meaning that was central to his own experience of Christmas. . .   Even Schulz admitted that he was probably the only person who could have gotten A Charlie Brown Christmas made. Television executives hated it from the start.

Thanks MNHawk - I recalled the resistence he faced and the hurtles he had to overcome to present the production intact but I wasn't having any luck recalling where I had read that chapter of the story.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 11:46:56 AM »
And that was 50 years ago, good luck trying to get it done today.  I don't even think network TV shows that anymore, does it?  I don't recall seeing it listed.  And if not for that closing scene quoting scripture the show wouldn't be what it is.  Charles did good. 

::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 08:26:18 PM »
  And now there is a permanent record of it in every home that owns that tape/disc.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie