Author Topic: Outrage: Your government at work (video)  (Read 2576 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Outrage: Your government at work (video)
« on: March 28, 2011, 08:32:26 AM »
First they came for the basketball hoops. (NOT funny)

DelDOT removes basketball hoop [Delaware Online News Video]
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Re: Outrage: Your government at work (video)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 08:41:45 AM »
FTA @ BigG:

....No, this is a big deal because, out of almost a dozen basketball hoops being confiscated, only one resident resisted or complained in any way. The rest, presumably, just shrugged their shoulders and went along with the state.

This goes to the heart of our problem as a nation.

Fights over ObamaCare, Wall Street Bailouts, tax hikes, sweetheart deals or earmarks get all the headlines. Many of us spend our energies on those fights, because they seem like they are critical to the future direction of the country. No doubt, they are important and big issues, but I fear we’ve already ceded so much of our liberty that it is almost immaterial whether or not we win those ‘big’ fights.

We dutifully take off our shoes and throw away water bottles when going through an airport. We submit to physical pat-downs at the whim of security personnel. We follow government mandates to wear seat-belts, separate plastic from glass and prepare to part with the incandescent light bulb. We no longer smoke in bars–or in outdoor spaces. On and on…and on. And now we watch–again dutifully–as our basketball hoops are taken away.

Liberty is not ala carte. Give up enough of it-even on the small things-and liberty won’t be there when you need it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 08:45:41 AM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 08:48:19 AM »
Wow.
That lady from the city is a real bitch
I didbn't catch what the infraction is

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 10:25:21 AM »
I don't care what the problem was because the pole has been there for 60 years and now there's a problem?And the bitch and cop did lie to the homeowner. How does that instil trust in the local police and government.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 12:42:42 PM »
Sonsabtches.  And she tells the homeowner to "go in the house right now"?!!

I would have let them arrest me.  Then the fight would've started ..........
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 12:57:29 PM »
I'm so torn on this.

(In the interest of full disclosure: my hoop is attached to my garage in my driveway and off of the street where I live)

The reason why they removed the hoops is that they infringed on the right~of~way. More than once I've seen vehicles hook these hoops while driving through a neighborhood. Responsible owners remove them or at least turn them when out of use so that they do not project out into the roadway. Most people that I've noticed do not bother, and instead leave them for their neighbors to navigate.

OK that said, how they went about removing them demonstrates everything that is abhorrent about government and brings the word fascist to my lips. I bet living next to that be-yotch is a real joy...

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 12:58:35 PM »
I don't care what the problem was because the pole has been there for 60 years and now there's a problem?And the bitch and cop did lie to the homeowner. How does that instil trust in the local police and government.

here's how one commenter at I site I visited responded:
"They sent you a letter with plenty of warning. I have to follow the law, whether I agree with it or not. SO DO YOU ;)"

Do people even understand where laws are supposed to come from?  Us you idiots!

We, the People!

Why do we have so many of these stupid laws and regulations?  Because at every level we have councils, and boards and government entities who meet monthly, weekly or daily and make up laws.  Then like in my town we get a monthly newsletter that informs us that there is now a fee or penalty for something and no one blinks.  Because like that person commenting above I mentioned--"I got to follow and so do you." No one ever stops to ask if it makes sense or if it really matters.

We want to solve all our problems from the top down--get the right president etc.  We need to look at the local level too. And stop putting up with all these rules imposed on us because some jerk doesn't like basketball hoops or whatever. ::rant::
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 01:08:20 PM »
The reason why they removed the hoops is that they infringed on the right~of~way. More than once I've seen vehicles hook these hoops while driving through a neighborhood. Responsible owners remove them or at least turn them when out of use so that they do not project out into the roadway. Most people that I've noticed do not bother, and instead leave them for their neighbors to navigate.

Can you explain further Alpha? I'm not getting this.  I can't see where he was blocking the right-of-way.  His car was parked in front of it. 
When you say "hooked" do you mean run into them or sideswipe them? But is that the fault of the home owner or the person driving for not paying attention? 

At some point we have to accept some people will be jerks, not bothering to be considerate of their neighbors (BTDT) and thus not try to legislate everything to suit our sensibilities.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 02:00:26 PM »
The all-powerful state in action.  Today basketball hoops, tomorrow...

If I were that guy, I'd plaster signs over every square inch of my non-easement property calling my neighbors and local government a bunch of proto-Nazi's.

But that's just me.

Oh, maybe building a basketball court in my front lawn, complete with over-bright lighting might be fun...and shoot some hoops every midnight...

;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 02:11:27 PM »

Can you explain further Alpha? I'm not getting this.  I can't see where he was blocking the right-of-way.  His car was parked in front of it.

Sure, if you don't mind baseless speculation  ::laughonfloor::

In most jurisdictions you are not allowed to have your (private) property protrude out into the public easement. That easement usually includes the right~of~way as well as the actual roadway. Naturally most areas make an exception for parking (but not always and often not without restrictions). So generally parking is OK but garbage cans, bicycles, skateboard ramps, hockey nets, and basketball hoops are not. I'm sure you're seen the portable hoops - they have wheels on them so that kids can wheel them out of the way when they're not using them. I wish that they would!

If I were to venture a bet I would guess that, had the person in the video situated his hoop away from the street and on his own property, he wouldn't have lost it. Unfortunately, in today's fractious atmosphere there's a sizable chance that even that isn't true, but I think that you get my drift. Further, if his hoop had been portable and he had moved it when he saw what was occurring, he would likely still own it.

So what I imagine was the case was the leftist imposition of "one-size fits all" enforcement (also know by the insipid "zero tolerance" meme). Even though his particular hoop was behind a parked car, they had to seize it because they had seized all the others and didn't want to expose themselves to charges of favoritism. Remember - baseless speculation on my part.

When you say "hooked" do you mean run into them or sideswipe them? But is that the fault of the home owner or the person driving for not paying attention?

I have personally witnessed (happened to someone else, not me!) two accidents involving these portable hoops. One was when two vehicles - one of them being a delivery van - met on a narrow residential street. Naturally they both move to their respective sides of the roadway to avoid one another. The delivery van couldn't see the hoop and caught it with his trailer. The other accident occurred at twilight when an approaching vehicle blinded the driver, who drove right into the hoop. Yes, I would say that there was some responsibility on the part of the drivers. Interestingly, the homeowner, not the driver, was cited in each of those accidents.

At some point we have to accept some people will be jerks, not bothering to be considerate of their neighbors (BTDT) and thus not try to legislate everything to suit our sensibilities.

I absolutely agree!

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 02:26:55 PM »
thanks Alpha.

This sort of thing is not much of an issue where I live--in an unincorporated area of the county. Yippee!

Though we do have to deal with ordinances of the encoarching towns (can't burn leaves 20 feet of their city line, stuff like that)

Had a neighbor across the street put up a fence across the front of his yard , very close to our single lane road which makes it hard to for delivery trucks to get out of our driveway. But we'd rather get along with him than worry about the delivery guys. lol

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 02:47:11 PM »

That pisses me off even more than them taking the goals away.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 02:50:22 PM »
How I envy you! I live in the shadow of one of America's most liberal (insane) cities (Seattle).

Didja have an ant-farm as a kid? It didn't exactly inspire the entomologist or anthropologist in me but I did find enjoyment watching how alien species live  ;D

Living where I do offers similar opportunities. Sometimes people do the dumbest things. What I've learned is that if you compress people into tight confines, that proclivity towards dumb behavior explodes....sometimes literally. Lots of conservatives have a bit of that (small "L") libertarian "live and let live" streak in them. Leftists don't.

They understand accept that you can manipulate and control human behavior. What they don't accept is that there are consequences (intended and otherwise) when you manipulate folks. So they're caught flat-footed with "deer~in~the~headlights" looks when riots occur. Instead of teaching and reinforcing a belief in taking personal responsibility, they rely on rules. Rules by their very nature are rigid and inflexible.

This basketball hoop dust-up is just another in a myriad of examples of living poorly through the application of leftist "principles".

"Liberals - can't live with them, not enough bullets to kill them all"

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 08:35:41 PM »
Here's a wake-up call for most urban dwellers in newer subdivisions: Your property line does not start at the curb. Most subdivisions mapped since the 1980's include a ten foot "buffer" from the curb to the legal property line. Municipalities discovered that having the buffer negated the need to request easements from homeowners for installation of underground cable t.v. lines, power lines, phone lines, gas lines, etc. Look at your property survey. The curb is outside the property corners. Because a homeowner may not "own" the last ten feet of property abutting the curb, he has no right to install a basketball goal near the curb.

The real problem in the Delaware case is that some kid-hating neighbor wanted to show somebody that he had the power . . .

. . . First, they came for the basketball goals. I didn't care, because I didn't play . . .
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 08:39:41 PM »
Here's a wake-up call for most urban dwellers in newer subdivisions: Your property line does not start at the curb. Most subdivisions mapped since the 1980's include a ten foot "buffer" from the curb to the legal property line. Municipalities discovered that having the buffer negated the need to request easements from homeowners for installation of underground cable t.v. lines, power lines, phone lines, gas lines, etc. Look at your property survey. The curb is outside the property corners. Because a homeowner may not "own" the last ten feet of property abutting the curb, he has no right to install a basketball goal near the curb.

The real problem in the Delaware case is that some kid-hating neighbor wanted to show somebody that he had the power . . .

. . . First, they came for the basketball goals. I didn't care, because I didn't play . . .

Applies as well to DOT-built roads.  From the road's middle line up 30 feet onto property is controlled, for easement purposes, by the NC DOT.  And if they choose to shred the trees right off their trunks within those limits, you are responsible for the cleanup.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 08:52:19 PM »

America; Better take it back soon or it will be irretrievable. 

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 09:15:34 PM »
My hippy-dippy liberal/libertarian-but-kind-hearted younger brother sometimes ribs me when I speak of American liberty, saying that liberty is an illusion in America - that we are brainwashed by jingoism and corporatism to believe we are free when we are in fact bound by government and consumerism. He uses that as his justification for living on the fringe, in the sub/counter-culture, below the radar, and stoned 24/7. I don't buy it.

But things like this help me to at least see his point as it relates to the government's intrusion and control in our lives. How free are we when government can come to your property and treat you like these people were treated? Nevermind easements. Easements are a tool that facilitates the intrusion. We have accepted so much - ceded so much.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 09:57:22 PM by IronDioPriest »

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 10:16:26 PM »
yep,as I said before I'm so glad we bought our house in the unincorporated area of the county--the town that bumps up to us requires a permit to cut a tree down, a permit to have a garage sale, a noise ordinance, yada yada

We collect money among the neighbors to pave the road when it needs it, one of the neighbor plows the snow, another neighbor has a hellacious party with the biggest bon fire I've ever seen, yada, yada

We do pay taxes for one of the best libraries I've ever visited, we are covered by the city fire dept

I do worry about getting annexed -- although right now that's probably not likely becuase they'd have to put in sewer and water and sidewalks (or so we've been told)

charlesoakwood

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 10:37:15 PM »
I do worry about getting annexed -- although right now that's probably not likely becuase they'd have to put in sewer and water and sidewalks (or so we've been told)

They don't have to do it, they only need to say they will do it when necessary.

This is happening right down the road.  Town is experiencing unprecedented growth and is going to annex unincorporated town.  The feud has been going sense before the last election.  The newly elected mayor ran saying "if elected Town will not annex unincorporated town, naturally he received full support from them.

At last months budget meeting the mayor submitted proposal to annex unincorporated town.

Y'all need to get to it and make up some stuff.

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 05:18:25 AM »
In NC, there is an ongoing "Annexation War" involving the legislature. There are some freedom loving folks who actually want to prohibit "involuntary" annexation.

Checkit:
http://stopncannexation.com/

http://redclaycitizen.typepad.com/redclay/2009/06/a-peak-at-the-nc-general-assembly-sausage-factory.html

http://www.sog.unc.edu/programs/annexation/
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.