Author Topic: Hello  (Read 6461 times)

Offline Lisa in PA

• Likes the place
Hello
« on: December 31, 2012, 12:18:09 AM »
I live in western PA with my 13 year old daughter.  I worked in the Mortgage Industry from 1982 (when rates were 21%) until two years ago.  I am now disabled, with a condition that has no cure and is very painful.  The leading cause of death from this condition is suicide.  Since I have a 13 year old daughter, that is not an option, so I have to figure out a way to get her through the next ten years or so to become a completely independent, competent, optimistic adult.  I think, and hope, that part of what I'm looking for is here.  I read a lot of the information before registering, so I'm familiar with the kind of information available.  The fact that I have to do this while Obama is President makes it that much harder, because I have to prepare her for things I have never in my life encountered.  I have already got her to the point she has a red belt with 2 black stripes in Tai Kwon-Do.  She can spot a leftist a mile away, and she is doing very well in math, but turns out, she needs to know a lot more than that, and I will too, in order to get myself through the next however many years myself.  I hope to learn a lot and perhaps contribute something as well.   

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 01:15:29 AM »
Hi, Lisa.
I'm near Kittanning.
Sorry to hear about your challenges but you seem to be doing as well as you can with your circumstances
Congratulations for fighting it out

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 05:01:51 AM »
Keystone Lisa! Welcome.

Yeah, I was in a related field to the mortgage industry since 1980. Remember the old saying

"Lord, please let there be another real estate boom and I promise not to piss it all away again."

Chronic pain is something that most people do not understand. One of my classmates from high school has MS and has been completely bedridden for the last 15 years. She is the strongest and most wonderful person that I know. Despite her condition, she manages to find joy and beauty in the world every day.
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline Lisa in PA

• Likes the place
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 06:48:45 AM »
Hi, Lisa.
I'm near Kittanning.
Sorry to hear about your challenges but you seem to be doing as well as you can with your circumstances
Congratulations for fighting it out

Hi!  My ex husband's whole family was from Kittanning.  Small world!  I live near Butler.  As for my challenges, up till eight years ago I was healthy as can be, so it was a shock and a big wrench in my plans, but I hope to set a good example for my daughter so I do the best I can.  I re read my introduction, and it sounds so deadly serious, but I still find a lot to laugh about, so it's not as bad as it sounds. ;D 

Offline Lisa in PA

• Likes the place
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 07:06:05 AM »
Keystone Lisa! Welcome.

Yeah, I was in a related field to the mortgage industry since 1980. Remember the old saying

"Lord, please let there be another real estate boom and I promise not to piss it all away again."

Chronic pain is something that most people do not understand. One of my classmates from high school has MS and has been completely bedridden for the last 15 years. She is the strongest and most wonderful person that I know. Despite her condition, she manages to find joy and beauty in the world every day.

Thank you!  I do remember, I was a loan officer, so I know exactly what you are talking about.  The last few years though, while really busy, was not something I would want to go through again, for any amount of money.  I do miss working, but I am glad to not be part of what is going on in that industry now.  I hope to avoid becoming completely bedridden, so I am still playing guinea pig and learning to adapt.  Thanks for the welcome, I'm glad to be here!

RickZ

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 08:30:30 AM »
I think, and hope, that part of what I'm looking for is here.

The only "part of what [you're] looking for" here is agita, ulcers, high blood pressure and of course the requisite evil thoughts towards our so-called government.  And those are the good days!

Welcome.  I'm also disabled, the heart (the noive).  I'm as scared as the next person concerning OwebamaCare, maybe moreso than most due to that disability and knowing I'd never pass muster before a death panel.

As far as your daughter goes, it sounds like you're setting a good example as a life role model.  That's all you can do.  You can water the little sprouts all you want, but the roots have to take hold by themselves.

Oh, and in Queens.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 09:24:42 AM »
Welcome, Lisa. Sounds like you've done a pretty good job on your daughter. ::thumbsup::

If things get too bad, we've usually got big ears. Great for listening....
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 09:41:29 AM »
Actually my ears are incredibly average-sized.......but I do know how to employ them  ;D

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 10:40:19 AM »
Thanks for joining us Lisa. I don't know if it's meaningful to you, but a prayer for strength and courage for you and your daughter have been sent.

Join in at your liesure, either commenting on topics or starting your own. Let us know if we can be of any assistance.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

TeachX3

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 10:40:37 AM »
Hello Lisa and welcome to IAL!

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 10:55:44 AM »
We're practically neighbors

Offline Lisa in PA

• Likes the place
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 10:58:56 AM »
Thank you all!

RickZ:  You sure are right about children.  No matter what you do, they end up having opinions of their own.  Sorry to hear about your health problems.  I'm not as scared of the Death Panels yet as I am of  possible unrest if things go really bad.  I am not much help physically, and I'm not sure what precautions I can take to offset this deficiency.

AlanS:  Thanks, I think the worst you will have to put up with from me are a lot of questions you may find stupid!

Alphabet Soup:  Thanks, I will be sure not to abuse the privilege!

Offline Lisa in PA

• Likes the place
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 11:07:17 AM »
Thanks for joining us Lisa. I don't know if it's meaningful to you, but a prayer for strength and courage for you and your daughter have been sent.

Join in at your liesure, either commenting on topics or starting your own. Let us know if we can be of any assistance.

It is meaningful, and appreciated!  I will probably read for awhile and then ask questions that will make you wonder how I've managed to stay alive as long as I have.   ;D

Offline Lisa in PA

• Likes the place
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 11:08:50 AM »
Hello Lisa and welcome to IAL!

Thank you!  I'm glad to be here.

Offline Lisa in PA

• Likes the place
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 11:18:26 AM »
We're practically neighbors

We sure are!  I can see 422 from my back windows.  Luckily I live on the south side of the highway, since that seems to be the dividing line for heavy snowstorms.  They are always to the north of 422.   ;) 

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 11:28:38 AM »
I'm north of Cowansville so that puts me on the north side of 422.
We definitely got hit a couple times in the last week.

Already had to get my wife unstuck twice already

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 11:39:36 AM »

Hehe. This is only my son's 2nd winter with his license, and the first snowstorm we had he got stuck twice in one frikkin day! The first time he just cornered too fast and nose-plowed into a snowbank about 4 blocks from our house. He and his brother walked home to get a couple shovels and dug them out. The 2nd time wasn't really his fault - he got stuck as the bottom of a hill where the road hadn't been plowed and slush had turned to ice. In his defense, I went to rescue him with the Excursion in 4XLow and I almost got stuck.

But still, it was funny as heck - twice in one day. Sometimes lessons are only learned with an exclamation point for emphasis.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 11:42:20 AM »
Thank you all!

RickZ:  You sure are right about children.  No matter what you do, they end up having opinions of their own.  Sorry to hear about your health problems.  I'm not as scared of the Death Panels yet as I am of  possible unrest if things go really bad.  I am not much help physically, and I'm not sure what precautions I can take to offset this deficiency.

Hi Lisa, and welcome.  A lot of us here are "preppers"  to various degrees, however,   I am probably the most extreme one here on the the topic, but I don't think anyone here is ready to be featured on Nat Geo's doomsday preppers ( or dumb enough to do so) .  Please feel free to post any questions you might have  in the Teotwawki section, and I will do my best to answer them.  (Actually don't be shy about asking questions on any topic. The folks here are paying close attention, but we know ( boy do we know) that a lot of people aren't paying attention- so just being interested in looking for  the truth (not that we claim to have possession of it) is always going to be greeted with respect.
)

Just start with the basics - Get yourself ready for a 3 day problem. Dried food. Batteries. Emergency Radio. Water Filter. Firearm, and Meds.  Then get yourself ready for a week. (more food,more meds,  generator)  Then a month (more food,more meds,  reliable water supply (well/spring,access to lake, river) , fuel storage, hunting firearm, hunting equipment and outdoor gear appropriate to your situation, )  Do what you can,and DON'T look at the big picture. If you do, you will be overwhelmed by all there is to learn, try, do and acquire, and then you might not do anything.  Eventually you can start looking at Years. However,  I do not expect any unrest will last more than a few months at most.  I see 3 likely scenarios: 1) Argentina Style Fiscal Collapse: initial unrest, and then a decline over months to 3rd world living. Power outages, Food Shortages, High costs, High Crime.  2) WWIII -  Draft (gets those troublesome unemployed off the street) , Supply rationing,internment camps, potential nuke fallout ( probably NOT from within the US) - and sadly the most likely scenario if  WWI and WWII are any guide  3) Civil War - Who the heck knows what that will look like..

Even if your disabled status means  can't use some of the preps equipment yourself, having it available may be the missing piece needed that will allow someone else to help you (and prove that you are worth helping) . You may need  to rely on Children and any like-minded individuals close to you. Being a  Lone-wolf Prepper is NOT a good idea. Humans lived in tribes in even the most primitive times for a reason. Finding like-minded individuals IS hard. I don't have an official group - I did find a place where most of my neighbors are like minded, and doing SOMETHING. Point is, few preppers are the looting kind. They generally won't take advantage of the less prepared or those who CAN'T take care of themselves- in general they are prepping so they don't have to rely on others any more than they have to, and so they don't need to join the looters in order to survive.  Is those who refuse to take responsibility for themselves and therefore  panic that will be the problem.

Offline Lisa in PA

• Likes the place
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 12:28:48 PM »
I'm north of Cowansville so that puts me on the north side of 422.
We definitely got hit a couple times in the last week.

I hear we are getting a couple more inches tonight.  Good luck!

Offline Lisa in PA

• Likes the place
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 12:36:38 PM »

Hi Lisa, and welcome.  A lot of us here are "preppers"  to various degrees, however,   I am probably the most extreme one here on the the topic, but I don't think anyone here is ready to be featured on Nat Geo's doomsday preppers ( or dumb enough to do so) .  Please feel free to post any questions you might have  in the Teotwawki section, and I will do my best to answer them.  (Actually don't be shy about asking questions on any topic. The folks here are paying close attention, but we know ( boy do we know) that a lot of people aren't paying attention- so just being interested in looking for  the truth (not that we claim to have possession of it) is always going to be greeted with respect.
)

Just start with the basics - Get yourself ready for a 3 day problem. Dried food. Batteries. Emergency Radio. Water Filter. Firearm, and Meds.  Then get yourself ready for a week. (more food,more meds,  generator)  Then a month (more food,more meds,  reliable water supply (well/spring,access to lake, river) , fuel storage, hunting firearm, hunting equipment and outdoor gear appropriate to your situation, )  Do what you can,and DON'T look at the big picture. If you do, you will be overwhelmed by all there is to learn, try, do and acquire, and then you might not do anything.  Eventually you can start looking at Years. However,  I do not expect any unrest will last more than a few months at most.  I see 3 likely scenarios: 1) Argentina Style Fiscal Collapse: initial unrest, and then a decline over months to 3rd world living. Power outages, Food Shortages, High costs, High Crime.  2) WWIII -  Draft (gets those troublesome unemployed off the street) , Supply rationing,internment camps, potential nuke fallout ( probably NOT from within the US) - and sadly the most likely scenario if  WWI and WWII are any guide  3) Civil War - Who the heck knows what that will look like..

Even if your disabled status means  can't use some of the preps equipment yourself, having it available may be the missing piece needed that will allow someone else to help you (and prove that you are worth helping) . You may need  to rely on Children and any like-minded individuals close to you. Being a  Lone-wolf Prepper is NOT a good idea. Humans lived in tribes in even the most primitive times for a reason. Finding like-minded individuals IS hard. I don't have an official group - I did find a place where most of my neighbors are like minded, and doing SOMETHING. Point is, few preppers are the looting kind. They generally won't take advantage of the less prepared or those who CAN'T take care of themselves- in general they are prepping so they don't have to rely on others any more than they have to, and so they don't need to join the looters in order to survive.  Is those who refuse to take responsibility for themselves and therefore  panic that will be the problem.

Thanks for all the information.  I will certainly be calling on you for help along the way.