Author Topic: Winter Fun In Russia  (Read 1114 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Winter Fun In Russia
« on: January 09, 2013, 12:30:33 PM »
There are some things that are just too stupid for words. Bungee jumping is one of them. This would be another...

But that said...in a free society (and Russia is looking more free than the USA with each passing day) you are permitted to put your life at risk and get killed if you are so inclined. Personally, though, I cannot imagine being strapped into a ball and rolled down a hill with a 1.5 kilometer drop off on one side with no barrier at all preventing the ball from zipping over the cliff. To me this is akin to playing in traffic. Sure, you might not get killed but there is a reasonable probability that you will end up dying in a very painful and public way. People will be talking about what a dumbass you were for a long time. Great way to be remembered. "Oh yeah...Denis. What an idiot. Nice guy and great family man but otherwise he had sh*t for brains."

LINK

A father-of-two was killed in a horrifying accident when a giant inflatable ball in which he and another man were rolling down a mountain plunged off a cliff at a ski-resort in southern Russia.

Denis Burakov, 27, married with two young daughters, broke his neck and spine in the zorbing accident, say reports.

His companion Vladimir Shcherbov, 33, was hospitalised with concussion and multiple lacerations to the head and body, but miraculously was later released.

Longer video showing the men victims being strapped in...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 01:26:26 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Re: Winter Fun In Russia
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 01:14:30 PM »
Only very remotely connected to the thread subject (Russian) is the death of one of the business partners in FPSRussia. The guy was found with a ventilated skull on the side of a road in Georgia. The comments are all over the place but most of them seem typically leftist smug and self satisfied that a gun advocate was shot to death.

The FPSRussia Facebook page is about the same...mostly supportive but with a certain percentage of douches weighing in.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 02:04:43 PM »
I can barely imagine the terror. God willing, the men were somehow rendered unconscious before the impact.

Idiots.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 03:25:06 PM »
This looks like a funner way to spend winter in Russia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS8jHfbcme8

Just sayin'

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 01:08:58 AM »
I thought about putting this in The Darwin Awards thread but I have to believe that as dumb as this was, the two guys who ended up rolling off of a cliff had every reason to believe that (despite visual evidence to the contrary) this was a safe activity.

The Darwin Awawrds are for extreme stupidity where the idiots in question end up dying at their own hands more or less...i.e. whatever killed them was their own idea and anyone else could see that it was likely to be lethal and (usually) both hideously painful and very, very public.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 06:40:12 AM »
I think some of that was felt before the lights went out...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.