Author Topic: "We Have To Fix This" vs. "Leave Me Alone"  (Read 1426 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
"We Have To Fix This" vs. "Leave Me Alone"
« on: January 15, 2013, 10:20:13 PM »
Great article by Sultan Knish: http://sultanknish.blogspot.com/2013/01/gun-control-shootout-at-dc-corral.html

This is perhaps the real dichotomy in the population. Read it.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: "We Have To Fix This" vs. "Leave Me Alone"
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 11:43:32 AM »
I want to fix the Left, there, I said it, and I mean it.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 01:41:21 PM »
Yup, Libertas has the right of it. In order to be left alone, conservatives now have to fix something bigger than any single thing the Left has ever demanded we fix. "Leave us alone" is the conservative tenet that got us into this mess, because it assumes that everybody either wants to be left alone or will respect those who do.

Conservatism must retool its philosophy to include controlling or eradicating the Left from its midst, and THEN leave us alone. In other words, we can't leave them alone. Ever. Or they will own those who would rather be left alone.

Kind of a paradox.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 01:45:19 PM »
Yup, Libertas has the right of it. In order to be left alone, conservatives now have to fix something bigger than any single thing the Left has ever demanded we fix. "Leave us alone" is the conservative tenet that got us into this mess, because it assumes that everybody either wants to be left alone or will respect those who do.

Conservatism must retool its philosophy to include controlling or eradicating the Left from its midst, and THEN leave us alone. In other words, we can't leave them alone. Ever. Or they will own those who would rather be left alone.

Kind of a paradox.

Same as with any kind of bully.  Skulking around, hoping to be left alone never works; they need the living sht kicked out of 'em before they get the message.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

TeachX3

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 02:43:19 PM »
Thanksgiving Day, the extended family was sitting around the table and discussing the reality of our world (mostly our Nation)... and, most of us are on the same page.  I made the comment that what got us to the place that we are today, is the 'to each their own' attitude.  Conservatives take the 'leave me alone' stance and when others push their agenda, conservatives end up taking the 'to each their own' stance.  That to me, is not only cowardly, but it is lazy.  This is why we have laws on the books to allow murder (abortion), etc... We stopped fighting.  We stopped standing up for what is right, and by that, I mean what is Gods Way (laws, rules, etc... given to us by God).  Anyway, my comment ended me up in a 'disagreement' with my sis in law, whom I love very much... she said "I agree with you, but, I agree with to each their own", my question is, does she (and others who feel the same) not understand that they are taking a double sided, luke warm position?  Saying 'I stand for _______, BUT I support to each their own', to me, is an oxymoron.

EDIT:  maybe I'm wrong, I tend to be a person who sees things black and white, I don't like grey areas  LOL  So, what do you think?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 02:46:37 PM by TeachX3 »

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 03:19:44 PM »
EDIT:  maybe I'm wrong, I tend to be a person who sees things black and white, I don't like grey areas  LOL  So, what do you think?

1) Do No Harm
2) Do all you say you will do

There is a certain wisdom in letting Barbarians eat their own, and reap the consequences of their own actions.   In a functioning culture, where that is allowed to happen ( not ours)  the consequences  are better teachers than we or any law that we can pass might be

Abortion is a special case, as an unborn baby can do nothing to defend its own rights. IN a rational functional society it would be highly restricted if not illegal. Barbarians place their own needs first and therefore kill their own children, thus preventing more barbarians from making it to adult hood.  Morally wrong to allow it, but when the barbarians are in charge, its gonna happen. Let God sort it out, till we can do something about it. As it is, we can barely keep them at bay .

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 03:46:20 PM »
Thanksgiving Day, the extended family was sitting around the table and discussing the reality of our world (mostly our Nation)... and, most of us are on the same page.  I made the comment that what got us to the place that we are today, is the 'to each their own' attitude.  Conservatives take the 'leave me alone' stance and when others push their agenda, conservatives end up taking the 'to each their own' stance.  That to me, is not only cowardly, but it is lazy.  This is why we have laws on the books to allow murder (abortion), etc... We stopped fighting.  We stopped standing up for what is right, and by that, I mean what is Gods Way (laws, rules, etc... given to us by God).  Anyway, my comment ended me up in a 'disagreement' with my sis in law, whom I love very much... she said "I agree with you, but, I agree with to each their own", my question is, does she (and others who feel the same) not understand that they are taking a double sided, luke warm position?  Saying 'I stand for _______, BUT I support to each their own', to me, is an oxymoron.

"Leave me alone" and "to each his own" are not the same thing and do not mean the same thing.

"Leave me alone" from this conservative means, "I am a rational, responsible, reasonably intelligent adult who knows well the difference between right and wrong, good and evil, and legal and moral, and can and will conduct my affairs, and those of my family, without meddling from the do-gooders and the bureaucratic nannystate.  From what the others 'round here have written in days gone by, they look to believe the same.

"To each his own" is rightly a matter regarding the preference between Romaine and iceberg lettuce and Coke and Pepsi;how much al dente is desirable; paper or plastic?; and if/when my neighbor chooses to chop down every Blessed tree on his own property.

To my way of thinking, any "conservative" who responds with "to each his own" when abortion or homosexual "marriage" is the issue is not only not a conservative, but is a lazy non-thinker.

Or, they don't wish to engage with an oblivion at that time.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 03:57:45 PM »
Small Dead Animals has a byline that rings true: "because not showing up to riot is a failed conservative policy". We (not the literal we, but you know what I mean) have taken the so-called high road for so long, that everything in our foundation has been undermined by those who have no qualms about taking a low road.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

TeachX3

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 04:33:01 PM »

To my way of thinking, any "conservative" who responds with "to each his own" when abortion or homosexual "marriage" is the issue is not only not a conservative, but is a lazy non-thinker.

Exactly.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 04:40:23 PM »

Exactly.

That's a failure of pure-form libertarianism, in that it fails to account for the fact that "each doing their own" will result in an ever-downward spiral of cohesive society in which those who "fix" things will thrive.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 07:29:23 PM »

In the beginning our laws coincided with God's laws the further we drifted from that the further we drifted to man's law.  We have now drifted so far that some men think their law is superior to God's, which is chaos.

TeachX3

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 07:47:47 PM »
In the beginning our laws coincided with God's laws the further we drifted from that the further we drifted to man's law.  We have now drifted so far that some men think their law is superior to God's, which is chaos.

Precisely what I think.

That's a failure of pure-form libertarianism, in that it fails to account for the fact that "each doing their own" will result in an ever-downward spiral of cohesive society in which those who "fix" things will thrive.

My sis in law considers herself a libertarian...