Author Topic: Lance Armstrong throws in the towel  (Read 1651 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Lance Armstrong throws in the towel
« on: August 24, 2012, 12:12:53 PM »
Armstrong released a statement following his decision not to pursue arbitration in a drug case brought against him by the US Anti-Doping Agency.

FOX Sports reported:

Lance Armstrong, beaten down by years of innuendo and a couple of months under the specter of official doping charges, surrendered Thursday night.

“At every turn, USADA [the US Anti-Doping Agency] has played the role of a bully, threatening everyone in its way and challenging the good faith of anyone who questions its motives or its methods, all at U.S. taxpayers’ expense,” Armstrong said in a statement sent to FOXSports.com.

“For the last two months, USADA has endlessly repeated the mantra that there should be a single set of rules, applicable to all, but they have arrogantly refused to practice what they preach.”

Seem strange that a man who beat back testicular cancer before winning seven Tour de France titles could be so easily detoured? Sure does.

Armstrong still denies he used testosterone, endurance-boosting EPO and/or any other banned methods to win any of his titles, but his options to clear his name dwindled after a lawsuit against the USADA was dismissed by a federal judge earlier this week.

The next step would have been a hearing in front of an arbitration panel, one that he decided ultimately not to take. It’s just prestige at this point, anyway, in a matter on which much of the public has already chosen sides.

“Today I turn the page. I will no longer address this issue, regardless of the circumstances,” continued Armstrong, who was subject to a two-year federal investigation before prosecutors dropped the case earlier this year.

As far as I know, no evidence of him doping was ever found.

The superstar cyclist, whose stirring victories after his comeback from cancer helped him transcend sports, chose not to pursue arbitration in the drug case brought against him by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency. That was his last option in his bitter fight with USADA and his decision set the stage for the titles to be stripped and his name to be all but wiped from the record books of the sport he once ruled.

There is some question as to whether or not the US Cycling Assoc. will consent to this.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Lance Armstrong throws in the towel
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 12:20:50 PM »
"He had a right to contest the charges," WADA President John Fahey said after Armstrong's announcement. "He chose not to. The simple fact is that his refusal to examine the evidence means the charges had substance in them."

Yeah, as far as I can tell the "evidence" didn't include physical evidence just hearsay, but that's all you need now days, but I predicted this end because there was no way to satisfy the accusers.  It's just a sad clouded legacy.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 02:29:52 PM »
I want to know why it is even remotely within the purview of the government to oversee whether or not athletes use this or that substance. That should be the private rules of a league or athletic association only. Yes, it's a rhetorical query. The government sticks its grubby hands into everything.

And so what if he did take testosterone?  After having testicular cancer I would think it's normal medical treatment to replace hormones his body is no longer producing naturally.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 02:45:25 PM »
"He had a right to contest the charges," WADA President John Fahey said after Armstrong's announcement. "He chose not to. The simple fact is that his refusal to examine the evidence means the charges had substance in them."

Yeah, as far as I can tell the "evidence" didn't include physical evidence just hearsay, but that's all you need now days, but I predicted this end because there was no way to satisfy the accusers.  It's just a sad clouded legacy.

Wonder what the cost was to contest the charges. Maybe the cost of the fight became too great. Lance Armstrong has nothing to prove to me. He will always be the greatest cyclist ever....be damned with the record book.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 02:54:22 PM »
On this subject, i agree with Glock.  None of Government's business.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 07:28:54 PM »
I want to know why it is even remotely within the purview of the government to oversee whether or not athletes use this or that substance. That should be the private rules of a league or athletic association only. Yes, it's a rhetorical query. The government sticks its grubby hands into everything.

And so what if he did take testosterone?  After having testicular cancer I would think it's normal medical treatment to replace hormones his body is no longer producing naturally.

It doesn't really matter. This is just another case of whipping the crap out of someone who was successful. They've tried for years and haven't come up with squat. Armstrong has won EVERY battle he has fought, even cancer. After winning that battle, he probably decided this chickensh*t one wasn't worth the effort.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 12:28:30 PM »

Wonder what the cost was to contest the charges. Maybe the cost of the fight became too great. Lance Armstrong has nothing to prove to me. He will always be the greatest cyclist ever....be damned with the record book.

In a sport rife with doping people just assumed the sports greatest racer is guilty regardless the lack of any solid proof.  There is proof in baseball that several players did steroids, this case is different, and it is incredible the taxpayers are footing the bill to be the arbiter of private enterprise, but too many people are OK with ceding more power to government and it sickens me.  Is Lance doing the right thing?  At first I thought not, because it gives his enemies something they do not deserve - an apparent air of legitimacy to their charges...on second thought I think refusing to fight on their terms is perhaps the correct choice.  I predict the real dopers, schemers and bureaucratic busybodies will do more damage to the sport than anything and its popularity and revenue sources will wither away.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 02:33:06 PM »
Hey, dopers, Roger Clemens pitched for the Sugarland Skeeters today!

He even struck out the first batter he faced, former big leaguer Joey Gathright. Then Clemens went on to toss 3.1 innings of one-hit, shutout baseball in a 1-0 win before 7,724 at Constellation Field. His fastball was clocked at 88 miles an hour, although Skeeters manager Gary Gaetti said he believed Clemens may have been holding something back after feeling some soreness in his right leg from a simulated game he threw in high heat on Monday.

This successful outing almost surely indicates that Clemens will pitch in another game, unless he physically isn’t up to it. Asked what comes next for him, Clemens answered, “A lot of ice – that’s what’s next. That’s what’s going to be in my future the next few days.

He fought the senate and the senate lost.  Not since Howard Huges has such a good plate of crow been served.

The Best of[ HOWARD HUGHES]Part 1 of 3

Only thing missing from the clip is when they challenge his making money off
the "Spruce Goose", he responded "I make my money selling beer and oil tools in Texas..."

« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 02:42:34 PM by Charles Oakwood »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 06:49:24 AM »
Fat Lady is belching out notes loudly now...

Armstrong Admits To Doping

Now it appears he'll turn snitch in order to get his lifetime ban reduced...

Is any sport free of taint now days?  I rather doubt it...

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 08:53:32 AM »
Remember a time when our culture wasn't so rotten, when frauds were smart enough to just quietly go away and hopefully become forgotten?

::unknowncomic::

charlesoakwood

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 11:40:00 AM »

Not in his personality profile.