Author Topic: Record Cold And Snow In Russia 'Cause Global Warming Or Something  (Read 1452 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Lots of great pics. Click on the link.

While the snowstorms have caused inconvenience for large population centers in western Russia, they have been life-threatening further east in the country. The polar circle city of Norilsk has been buried under 10 feet of snow – entire apartment blocks, markets, stores and offices were buried under snow overnight.

Banks of snow were as high as two people put together, reaching the second-story windows of some apartment buildings. Cars, stores, garages were blocked. Norilsk metropolitan workers were forced to dig passageways through the snow banks to create access between the outside world and the barricaded city.

Meanwhile, icicles up to three feet in length have formed off the ledges of buildings, breaking at random and causing a lethal hazard for pedestrians below.

Elsewhere, the extreme weather continues. In the Altai Republic in Western Siberia, 12 Russian settlements were isolated because of the snowstorm. Seven settlements, with a total population of 1,300 people, remain cut off from the outside world due to the snow drifts. Emergency crews are currently en route to deliver needed supplies to the stranded populations.

Snow accompanied by strong winds has caused flight delays in the airport of Russia’s far eastern town of Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky. The runway has been cleared, but planes are not risking takeoff due to strong sidewinds. Flights were also delayed in Russia’s easternmost cities of Vladivostok and Khabarovsk.

More snow storms are predicted in Western Siberia and the Western Urals over the weekend.

In the end of 2012, Russia saw extreme winter not witnessed since 1938. The coldest-ever December in Russia led to the evacuation of hundreds of people in Siberia, where temperatures fell below -50 degrees Celsius; Moscow also saw its coldest night ever for the season.

More than 90 Russians died during the cold snap, and more than 600 people were taken to hospital due to the extremely dangerous weather, which is 10 degrees below the December norm.

Nearly 200 people have died throughout Russia as a direct result of weather-related accidents and hypothermia this season, according to official statistics, although the extreme conditions have likely contributed to many more fatalities.

And yeah, it's hot in Australia at the exact same time so...what? Yeah, so what? The answer is that nature is a mystery. Weather is gonna do what it's gonna do. Get over it.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Record Cold And Snow In Russia 'Cause Global Warming Or Something
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 11:03:08 PM »
I just watched "Day After Tomorrow" last night. I'm not impressed.  :o

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 12:07:13 AM »
Yeah, that movie is about as ridiculous as they come. And yet, it's gospel for the low info voter and that's why we are completely boned.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 06:42:26 AM »

I thought it should have been nomiated for comedy of the year.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 09:47:24 AM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/borisjohnson/9814618/Its-snowing-and-it-really-feels-like-the-start-of-a-mini-ice-age.html

"I remember snow that used to come and settle for just long enough for a single decent snowball fight before turning to slush; I don’t remember winters like this."

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 10:27:16 AM »

I'm queuing up a pirate copy of it's bastard twin brother, "2012" (I dunno, for some reason I'm just into disaster movies recently).

Still looking for a pirated "Deep Impact" (cuz I'll be damned if I'll pay for it ;-)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 11:13:55 AM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/borisjohnson/9814618/Its-snowing-and-it-really-feels-like-the-start-of-a-mini-ice-age.html

"I remember snow that used to come and settle for just long enough for a single decent snowball fight before turning to slush; I don’t remember winters like this."

Just the new normal.   ;D

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 11:16:03 AM »

I'm queuing up a pirate copy of it's bastard twin brother, "2012" (I dunno, for some reason I'm just into disaster movies recently).

Still looking for a pirated "Deep Impact" (cuz I'll be damned if I'll pay for it ;-)

2012 had some good humor in it to, none higher than a character played by Woody Harelson being the boy who cried 12-21, since I can't tell if he was acting or not I am guessing that was a natural role for him.

::hysterical::

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 09:40:56 PM »

Me to! ::thumbsup::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.