Author Topic: 'Boyfriend Trainer' app encourages users to 'whack' boyfriends into shape  (Read 1222 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Yah, real "entertaining"

Fran Porretto hates this and explains why it's a very bad thing:  http://bastionofliberty.blogspot.com/2013/01/courting-calamity-dept.html

And he's right.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!  What have we got here?!   :o

Yeah, Sir Francis as usual nails it with his gifted prose.

Me?  I still have Belgian spewing out my pie hole!

::gaah::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
I'm just sick of the whole trope that a man, vis-a-vis the woman in his life, is basically some oafish version of Clifford the Big Red Dog. A socially and intellectually stunted overgrown child, incompetent at anything of consequence much to the chagrin of his long suffering wife. Virtually every commercial on TV is some iteration of this. It also ties into the credentialism that our technocrat overlords like to promote. "Look at this absolutely foolish husband, with his 5 day facial growth and untucked shirt, attempting to perform a minor plumbing repair. Fortunately his hip, chic, and witty wife-slash-surrogate-mother is here to open the Yellow Pages and phone an expert."
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Francis wrote quite well about this "app" works right into that cultural mischaracterization.  And it presents another false trope to how girls/women *ought* to think, similar to "every woman has a 'right' to feeeeel safe", in that it's reasonable to be able to batter the men in their lives and they won't end up with the living daylights slapped out of them once they draw blood or cause bruises.

It's sick.  And dangerous.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Francis wrote quite well about this "app" works right into that cultural mischaracterization.  And it presents another false trope to how girls/women *ought* to think, similar to "every woman has a 'right' to feeeeel safe", in that it's reasonable to be able to batter the men in their lives and they won't end up with the living daylights slapped out of them once they draw blood or cause bruises.

It's sick.  And dangerous.

I'm soooo glad my wife doesn't suffer from that incurable disease.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
I'm just sick of the whole trope that a man, vis-a-vis the woman in his life, is basically some oafish version of Clifford the Big Red Dog. A socially and intellectually stunted overgrown child, incompetent at anything of consequence much to the chagrin of his long suffering wife. Virtually every commercial on TV is some iteration of this. It also ties into the credentialism that our technocrat overlords like to promote. "Look at this absolutely foolish husband, with his 5 day facial growth and untucked shirt, attempting to perform a minor plumbing repair. Fortunately his hip, chic, and witty wife-slash-surrogate-mother is here to open the Yellow Pages and phone an expert."

My wife treats me like a bank, that's all I'm good for.  She treats me worse than anyone she knows (even her good for nothing brother who she has had many disagreements with and has shut out of her life numerous times) and she has the nerve to call me mean.
Eschew Obfuscation

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero

My wife treats me like a bank, that's all I'm good for.  She treats me worse than anyone she knows (even her good for nothing brother who she has had many disagreements with and has shut out of her life numerous times) and she has the nerve to call me mean.

Shades of Atlas Shrugged.  Sorry to hear that, ben.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes

This makes me sad. So sorry.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
Thanks for the sympathy, it is my cross to bear.
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Thanks for the sympathy, it is my cross to bear.

Well, I hope you are able to do it with dignity and as an example to others because right now I suck at that.  My dh lost his job and I'm short tempered right now and impatient and just plain mad.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

charlesoakwood

Canoeing, there's a canoe rental at the state park, it works for me.  Anything that will burn it off.  A row boat is better.