Author Topic: Great Super Bowl commercial  (Read 2511 times)

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
Re: Great Super Bowl commercial
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 04:51:27 AM »
It was a great spot until they dedicated it to "the farmer in all of us." F.

Come, on Trap. Get with the Twenty-First Century Progressivism! We all equal, doncha know! All you suckas toiling 60 hour weeks in your small businesses so that the poor and downtrodden gets dey 60 inch big screen t.v. and dey welfair check!
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 05:55:31 AM »
Maybe instead of the farmer in all of us the commercial would better serve if it stated we need to find the farmer in all of us.......again.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2013, 07:26:56 AM »
The first one was good Pan, the second one...

I got something in my eye...

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 09:58:38 AM »
It was dusty here when I watched that first one Pan
Dust always irritates my eyes

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 10:40:20 AM »
Man, that Clydesdale ad really does pull the heartstrings Pan. Even though my brain knows that horses are about as far from being able to demonstrate loyalty as a cockroach, it still warmed my heart and brought a tear to my eye.

::stirpot::
 ::exitstageleft::

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 12:01:08 PM »
Man, that Clydesdale ad really does pull the heartstrings Pan. Even though my brain knows that horses are about as far from being able to demonstrate loyalty as a cockroach, it still warmed my heart and brought a tear to my eye.

::stirpot::
 ::exitstageleft::

Is that so?  I don't "know" horses; everything I've seen comes from movies and tv.  Do they not get attached to "their" people out of love, then?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 12:28:12 PM »
I've never been around horses much, but I have heard from many sources that they are indeed capable of great loyalty. Many famous battlefield commanders throughout history were very attached to their horses (Alexander and Bucephalus, Robert E. Lee and Traveler, just to name two).

Most mammalian species have emotional capacity to some extent. I know it is absolutely true with dogs. My dogs are attuned even to subtle facial expressions.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 12:46:49 PM »
I've never been around horses much, but I have heard from many sources that they are indeed capable of great loyalty. Many famous battlefield commanders throughout history were very attached to their horses (Alexander and Bucephalus, Robert E. Lee and Traveler, just to name two).

Most mammalian species have emotional capacity to some extent. I know it is absolutely true with dogs. My dogs are attuned even to subtle facial expressions.
Barrack and Michelle?
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2013, 12:51:53 PM »
I think horses are capable of recognizing someone they know.
I don't know if love is what they're capable of.

Watch the movie War Horse

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2013, 01:04:42 PM »
Even though I grew up in suburbia, somewhere along the line I was instilled with a farmer's attitude about animals and caution about becoming emotionally attached to them. Not only do I not feel emotion emanating from them, I feel little emotion towards them other than the pleasure or misery they bring to humans. I realize that I am in the very extreme minority, so by bringing it up I was more making fun of myself and stirring that pot.

I remember when I was about 12 I came home from school to learn that our schnauzer had been killed by a car. My mom was in tears, and I cried for a grand total of about 15 seconds before I thought to myself, "why am I crying? It's only a dog, and we'll just go and get a new one like we did when the last one died." As soon as the new dog was there in a couple days, the old one was out of sight and mind for me.

So for whatever reason I always stop myself short of attaching human emotion to any animal. Even in household pets, I see a beast where others see a friend.

I've no doubt that among mammals, at some very basic level, they experience something akin to emotion on a wide spectrum ranging from the great apes down to a mole, and therefore it is natural for human beings to acknowledge and address a given animal's place on that spectrum. I've just never looked into the eye of a horse and seen anything but a blank trainable beast staring back at me.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2013, 01:15:45 PM »
Even though I grew up in suburbia, somewhere along the line I was instilled with a farmer's attitude about animals and caution about becoming emotionally attached to them. Not only do I not feel emotion emanating from them, I feel little emotion towards them other than the pleasure or misery they bring to humans. I realize that I am in the very extreme minority, so by bringing it up I was more making fun of myself and stirring that pot.

I remember when I was about 12 I came home from school to learn that our schnauzer had been killed by a car. My mom was in tears, and I cried for a grand total of about 15 seconds before I thought to myself, "why am I crying? It's only a dog, and we'll just go and get a new one like we did when the last one died." As soon as the new dog was there in a couple days, the old one was out of sight and mind for me.

So for whatever reason I always stop myself short of attaching human emotion to any animal. Even in household pets, I see a beast where others see a friend.

I've no doubt that among mammals, at some very basic level, they experience something akin to emotion on a wide spectrum ranging from the great apes down to a mole, and therefore it is natural for human beings to acknowledge and address a given animal's place on that spectrum. I've just never looked into the eye of a horse and seen anything but a blank trainable beast staring back at me.

Fine.  You get to kill and butcher the animals, the rest of us will cook.  ;D
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2013, 01:21:52 PM »

Fine.  You get to kill and butcher the animals, the rest of us will cook.  ;D

As long as I get to eat, I'm good with that!  ::beertoast::

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2013, 01:48:16 PM »
They tell me horse meat is pretty good

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2013, 01:52:40 PM »
I shed a tear when Random's kitty died (you'll never convince me that she didn't die of a broken heart), but life goes on. I got another kitten and this one has a different personality than any of the other cats I've had.

I don't anthropomorphize the critters but I do see unique personalities.

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2013, 02:43:50 PM »

Barrack and Michelle?

::rolllaughing:: ::rolllaughing::
Eschew Obfuscation