Author Topic: New respect for "Transformers" director Michael Bay  (Read 1436 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
New respect for "Transformers" director Michael Bay
« on: February 04, 2013, 01:14:55 PM »
I'm not a big fan of the "Transformers" franchise. I didn't hate them outright. I just didn't think they were that great. Special effects extravaganzas, nothing more. Therefore I don't give Michael Bay much kudos as a director.

Hugo Weaving, on the other hand, I really, really like as an actor. I've never seen him in a role I didn't like, and when I learned he would be Elrond in the LotR films, I was ecstatic, and he did not disappoint.

But this exchange is just damned refreshing, and makes me see Weaving a bit more clearly, and appreciate Bay a smidgen more.

Actors complaining about lack of artistry in work for which they're paid millions...

...Last year, Hugo Weaving, who voiced Megatron in three "Transformers" films, slammed the filmmaking process.

"That’s a weird job for me because it honestly was a two-hour voice job, initially," Weaving said. "It was one of the only things I’ve ever done where I had no knowledge of it, I didn’t care about it, I didn’t think about it. They wanted me to do it. In one way, I regret that bit. I don’t regret doing it, but I very rarely do something if it’s meaningless. It was meaningless to me, honestly. I don’t mean that in any nasty way. I did it. It was a two-hour voice job, while I was doing other things."

Weaving said he never met "Transformers" director Michael Bay in person.

"Do you ever get sick of actors that make $15 million a picture, or even $200,000 for voiceover work that took a brisk one hour and 43 minutes to complete, and then complain about their jobs?" Bay wrote. "With all the problems facing our world today, do these grumbling thespians really think people reading the news actually care about trivial complaints that their job wasn’t 'artistic enough' or 'fulfilling enough'?"
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: New respect for "Transformers" director Michael Bay
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 01:48:42 PM »
Yeah Alec Guinness similarly ridiculed his role in Star Wars as some banality beneath a thespian of his stature, and his desire for a diminished role in the subsequent films was part of the reason Obi-wan Kenobi was changed to die at Darth Vader's hand in the first film. Supposedly he was originally scripted to live through the following films.

If they're such uncompromising artists, then why take these roles that are supposedly beneath them? Oh, high ideals aren't keeping the lights on and the pantry stocked? It does annoy me when people who are paid handsomely to, in essence, pretend and play make-believe as full grown adults, and then have the temerity to scoff at a director, a producer, or worst of all the fans who might have genuinely liked that insipid, beneath-your-contempt role.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 07:19:11 PM »
Yeah Alec Guinness similarly ridiculed his role in Star Wars as some banality beneath a thespian of his stature...

As did Liam Neeson.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 11:00:57 PM »
Really? Oh well. His character was one of the only bright spots in The Phantom Menace.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 11:18:53 PM »
Really? Oh well. His character was one of the only bright spots in The Phantom Menace.

Gee, I thought he looked bored while doing that role. Most actors are idiots.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 05:59:33 AM »
These unfulfilled thespians could turn down the rolls offered.......or better yet, they could invest thier own funds and produce thier own works of art.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 06:50:00 AM »
These unfulfilled thespians could turn down the rolls offered.......or better yet, they could invest thier own funds and produce thier own works of art.

If a high-minded thespian puts on a show displaying his personal creations, will anybody show up?

Even better, will anybody (especially outside of their circle of friends) buy anything?

::saywhat::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 05:41:57 PM »

If a high-minded thespian puts on a show displaying his personal creations, will anybody show up?

Even better, will anybody (especially outside of their circle of friends) buy anything?

Would anyone care?
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 06:02:21 PM »

Would anyone care?

Exactly.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.