Author Topic: Oak Harbor councilman tries to take away a vet's weapon, Parts I and II  (Read 672 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
An Oak Harbor City Council Member is accused of overstepping his authority when he asked a man with a concealed weapons permit to surrender his gun saying it was "not needed" at the public meeting.

Lucas Yonkman went to the meeting to testify, urging people to support the 2nd amendment.

Watch what happened above. The councilman's concern about the veteran's concealed weapon begins about two minutes into the video.

Oak Harbor City Council 1-15-2013 2nd Amendment and Washington State Law Issues

And then, three weeks later, the following happened:

The council was met by 160 people Tuesday night, many who were packing heat.

There were handguns in holsters and rifles slung over shoulders and an unknown number of people concealing their weapons as the Oak Harbor City Council met. Many attended the meeting to show support for veteran Lucas Yonkman who Councilmember Almberg tried to have kicked out of City Hall last month, including Joe Hawkins who openly mocked him. "Mr. Almberg I just want you to know that I have a concealed ham sandwich right here I don't want you to get up and walk away," he chuckled.

Most attended the meeting to oppose the city's ban on guns in parks and the marina. The Second Amendment Foundation had threatened to sue if the ordinance wasn't overturned.

Sandy Peterson spoke out against the ordinance. "If the city council members are intimidated by people exercising their Second Amendment rights to bear arms, perhaps they need to examine what it is about that that makes them uncomfortable," she said.

William Frail had an M-1 rifle on his shoulder as he testified. "Sir, my mother was Jew," he said. "My family went to the chambers. I will not go into the night quietly while these two ask me to board the train."

But not everyone spoke in favor of overturning the ban. Shane Hoffmire doesn't believe having guns in parks is a good idea. "While I support the Second Amendment and citizen rights to bear arms, I strongly believe guns do not belong in public spaces," he said.

Pam Fick also spoke out in support of the ban. "There are those here tonight who will argue that more guns in more hands and more places makes us safer," she said. "More guns in more hands and more places didn't make people safer. It just made people more dead."

Lucas Yonkman, the man at the center of this gun debate in Oak Harbor, also addressed the council.

"I come to you tonight with a heavy heart," Yonkman said. "I see a beautiful country divided and conflicted. I see a constitution being eroded, and the rights so many have fought and died for totally lost. I see men and woman who are elected leaders pushing personal agendas."

Yonkman believes the answer to mass shootings and community violence will be found in treating those with mental illness, instead of taking guns away.

The city council eventually voted to overturn the ban, which the interim city attorney had told the members was unconstitutional. The council did not call for the resignation of fellow member Almberg, which a few people had called for.

After the meeting, he said he hopes the city can move past this and get onto more important business.

Sometimes, there IS no "more important business".

H/T Instapundit
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: Oak Harbor councilman tries to take away a vet's weapon, Parts I and II
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 06:24:17 PM »
Dipsticks. Gun Free Zones just make easy targets for scum.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 08:23:11 PM »
Last year the mayor of seattle got his ass handed to him when the Washington State Supreme Court ruled that he couldn't override state law (which permitted guns in parks) with a local city ordnance prohibiting them. In the wake of that very public smackdown he contemplated ignoring the supremes since he (in his infinite wisdom - or something) knew better than them.

So Sandy Hook notwithstanding, these klowns knew better than to play god - but their inner libtard got the best of them - again.

The only good progressive is a dead progressive.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 07:08:54 AM »
All three of y'all are right!

::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.