Author Topic: I didn't know this cop killing cop was black, until I went to The Blaze  (Read 2563 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: I didn't know this cop killing cop was black, until I went to The Blaze
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 05:27:11 PM »
Remember this?

That's the truck the cops shot the hell out of, wounding a 71 year old woman and her daughter while they were delivering newspapers, while hunting for Dorner.

This update comes via Kevin Baker:

Remember how the LAPD was going to replace the shot-up pickup of those two non-Dorner newspaper delivery ladies?

Not so much:

"No New Truck for Women Shot During Dorner Manhunt

The two newspaper delivery women who were shot at during the manhunt for Christopher Dorner will not be getting a new replacement truck as promised by the LAPD, according to their attorney Glen Jonas.

It has been more than a month since LAPD Chief Charlie Beck promised the truck to Emma Hernandez, 71, and her daughter, Margie Carranza, who had been working in Torrance, Calif. before dawn on Feb. 7.

... According to Jonas, LAPD and Galpin Ford wanted his clients to pose for a photo opportunity and pay income tax on the truck. The women no longer want the truck after they were told they needed to fill out a 1099 form for the donation, Jonas said Monday.

"You tried to murder the woman, now you're telling her she can't have a four-wheel drive, you're telling her she can't sell it and you've got to be taxed on it?" Jonas said. "How would anyone react to that?"

Jonas plans on filing a government claim, which is a precursor to any lawsuit filed against a government agency. He said he felt the truck was being touted as a "reward or prize" instead of a sincere gesture by the LAPD.

... The women's Toyota Tacoma was pierced with 102 bullet holes from the Feb. 7 shooting, according to Jonas. Emma Hernandez is still recovering from two bullet wounds to her neck, which are giving her life-threatening complications."

They want her to pay income tax on the truck.  I'm not a fan of our litigious society, but in this case, I want to see the city pay, and I want the officers involved to pay.

She should get a f**king Ferrari and a mansion to park it in.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2013, 05:38:58 PM »
Apparently there's conflicting reports about this...

Women shot by LAPD in Dorner pursuit to get $40,000 to buy truck

Two women whose truck was riddled with bullets fired by Los Angeles police officers in a case of mistaken identity during the pursuit of fugitive ex-cop Christopher Dorner will a receive $40,000 cash settlement to replace their vehicle.

At a news conference Thursday afternoon, City Atty. Carmen Trutanich announced the deal reached between city officials and the women's attorney, Glen Jonas. Officials stressed that this deal was to compensate the women for the loss of the truck and is separate from any discussions regarding potential litigation involving the LAPD shooting incident in Torrance.

More here: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2013/03/women-shot-by-lapd-in-dorner-case-to-get-40000-to-buy-truck.html

Oh, and BTW: I think that they deserve 10x that - and the cops should be the ones forced to pay it.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2013, 06:04:57 PM »
No, 'Soup, not conflicting.  The LAtimes piece you posted is an update which Baker missed, as did I, so thanks for clearing the record.  In fairness to Baker, though, the update comes from a different source, the LATimes.

The ladies' attorney sent a demand letter to the LA city attorney and he promised to get it worked out.  The check is him keeping his promise.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Newspaper-Delivery-Women-Shot-in-Christopher-Dorner-Manhunt-Truck-Update-197896841.html
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2013, 06:11:04 PM »
It's a damned shame and a commentary on our feckless/malevolent government when the first thing I think of when I see "Emma Hernandez" and "Margie Carranza" is to wonder if they are in the country legally.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2013, 06:19:36 PM »
It's a damned shame and a commentary on our feckless/malevolent government when the first thing I think of when I see "Emma Hernandez" and "Margie Carranza" is to wonder if they are in the country legally.

Tsk, where's the "that's racist" gif when ya need it.   ::unknowncomic::

Seriously, though, I agree it is a commentary on how far down the rabbit hole we've been dragged.  Once upon a time, we'd have thought there was nothing nefarious or illegal about "hispanic" names ... once upon a time when the government followed the law.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2013, 11:57:55 AM »
If we need any kind of gun control law it should be one applied to the police. How often do we hear about the NYPD in particular unloading 80 rounds, striking bystanders? Seems that in the pre-militarization of the police (i.e. before the "war on drugs") Officer Friendly and his 6-shot .38 or .357 revolver demonstrated a much higher degree of firearms proficiency, and perhaps more importantly a much higher degree of discernment about using it. That was back when people respected the police. Now they're just a bunch of gangster thugs, preening like a bunch of Navy SEAL wannabes.

What's next? Can the police get armed helicopter gunships? That way they could patrol all the major roads and they could shoot out the tires and engines of any vehicles even vaguely similar to the suspect's vehicle. If a few women on a morning paper route have to get shot in the neck, well too bad for them. They should be honored to have the opportunity to provide their overlords with some extra trigger time.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2013, 11:38:44 AM »
They'll all be replaced by SkyNet drones anyway G, easier for the puppetmasters to control the targeting and execution of citizens that way.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.