Author Topic: What do you read?  (Read 2165 times)

Offline Lisa in PA

• Likes the place
What do you read?
« on: February 08, 2013, 08:12:39 AM »
If you could only read four or five websites a day, which ones would you make sure to read to feel like you are pretty well informed?

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
Re: What do you read?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 09:22:35 AM »
Drudge Report
The Blaze
Powerline
Hot Air
Something local...Pioneer Press, KSTP, KMSP
Here  ;D

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 09:30:59 AM »
I usually rotate between Breitbart, Drudge, Hot Air, Gateway Pundit, Blaze, Ace o' Spades and here.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 09:43:57 AM »
If you could only read four or five websites a day, which ones would you make sure to read to feel like you are pretty well informed?

Well if you want to be well informed, that means looking at  what the evil idiots are saying so - see what is trending on  dailyKos , Look at headlines on  Huffington Post, Daily Beast and if you have a subscription the New York Times - the newspaper of record for the official leftist Narrative, see what Meme they are pushing today. If you aren't really mad yet, try reading on of the  biased or  fact less, illogical rants they call news.  . (I don't do this anymore. I can't stomach it. They say nothing new, and I can guess the spin  they put in 90% of the time.  The downside is I miss the 10%  that is so surprisingly stupid, I wasn't able to anticipate it)

Good, Now your blood pressure is up,  get some coffee.  Really get the blood flowing.  Then visit Memeorandum and Drudge Report.   Maybe twitchy.. but I still don't "get" twitter. Read comments, and get an  idea how other people are reacting to a story you find important.  

Then visit Hot Air (and its  green room) to see what the stupid idiots in the GOP are doing, and if there is not enough visit Gatewaypundit ( keeping in Mind that Hoft likes to exaggerate and doesn't always vet the info behind his stuff well enough. )  Then over to Breitbart, and then maybe big govt, big media etc.  Daily Caller is usually worth a visit too. The Guardian in the UK is usually worth a perusal, but you will probably have been over there already via drudge or instapundit.

Okay, good and mad now?

Great. Now visit Zerohedge for the financial news. Read the comments- they are often a hoot -whole ideological spectrum at that site, but dominated by Paul bots and alex jones types..  .  

Great- now you are probably in the mood for Infowars. Yeah, its tin foil hat time, but sadly, they are picking stuff up no one else will touch. Ignore the commentary and concentrate on the facts that can be verified. Open your mind to the possibilities.  Yeah, its mostly conspiracy theory. Most of it is crap. But like any muscle, your crap filter need exercise too.  Figure out why its crap and what factors led you to that conclusion.  

Finally visit the people's cube, the looking spoon, and imao.us. Browse the archive at Regresty if you aren't laughing yet. .  You need to laugh.  Feel better? Now come spend some time here at IAL and discuss/post  what you have learned and laughed at.

If you are bored  during the day, I recommend visiting some sites that post infrequently - barnhardt.biz, politicalcalculationsblog, watch Bill Whittle videos at pjtv or youtube, Read Thomas Sowell editorials (tsowell.com  is really the best place for that)   - or explore some blog rolls.. and of course visit here to see what others have come up with.

Oh, you only want five.  Pull a different one from each category each day. 

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 10:22:12 AM »
Here, Tree of Liberty forum a few email aggregators and an occasional trip to Drudge and the Blaze

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 11:20:54 AM »

So, I'm an engineer (engineers are always trying to find ways to be more efficient (we are lazy)), that being said I come here, all of you great people are my resources.  I still do fact checks when something just doesn't add up or if I want to make a pertinant post.  Even though I'm lazy, I don't want to be thought a fool or a sheeple.
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 11:44:17 AM »
1-IAL
2-Drudge
3-The Blaze
4-ZeroHedge
5-Gateway Pundit

If I can expand the list

6-AOS
7-IOTW
8-IMAO
9-WeasleZippers
10-Blackfive
11-SmallDeadAnimals
12-StrategyPage
13-Jerusalem Post
14-ThePeoplesCube
15-VDH

Oh heck I'm everywhere!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 11:54:09 AM »
Long ago, in my Amway days, that was the beginning of turning off the TV.
(Unfortunately, I replaced TV addiction with inyernet addiction.)

The idea was that if something important happened, someone would let you know.

Libertas, you're a junkie.

I can relate.
I used to read 3 Sunday newspapers.

Now, I'm delightfully ignorant.

(Hope it doesn't show too bad)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 01:04:58 PM »
IAL
Gateway Pundit -- Weisshaupt is right about Hoft, but it's a decent aggregator
HotAir  -- I mostly scan the headlines
The Smallest Minority
Drudge -- follow the linkies
American Thinker
PJ Media  -- meh, not so interesting anymore
Liberty's Torch
My local forum
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 02:01:57 PM »
My regular rotation other than here is Moonbattery, Small Dead Animals, PJ Media, Barnhardt.biz, SteynOnline.  Somewhat less frequently I go to Ace of Spades and Gateway Pundit.

Starting with the gun control scare of mid-December, I even started going to Infowars because I was in the mood for bombastic rejections of the attempted gun grabs rather than the "let's all take a deep breath" tone so many of the more mainstream sites have. It's free-floating paranoia at Infowars, but like Weisshaupt said it gives you exercise at separating the wheat from the chaff. Plus I can't really fault them for having at least a good natural, instinctive distrust of authority even if they are a bunch of nuts for the most part.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 02:07:35 PM »
I don't waste my time (or insult my intelligence) with DU or KOZ but I do check Huff~n~Puff on occasion. For most of my topicals I visit the FReepers. As we grow here we're doing better and better at aggregating news from sources just like the FReepers do. I don't bother with the lamer "primary sources" (cnn.com, fox news, PMSNBC) since none of them have any objectivity at all.

Every day is an adventure and I follow links that lead to links that sometimes bears fruit...

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 09:08:50 PM »
Here
American thinker
Drudge
Bass masters
A few fishing sites.....

Sorry.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 02:17:06 AM »
IAL
Drudge
http://www.lucianne.com/
redstate
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 03:16:10 AM »
Drudge
AoS
Breitbart
DC
Weasel Zippers
IAL
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 11:15:35 AM »
Long ago, in my Amway days, that was the beginning of turning off the TV.
(Unfortunately, I replaced TV addiction with inyernet addiction.)

The idea was that if something important happened, someone would let you know.

Libertas, you're a junkie.

I can relate.
I used to read 3 Sunday newspapers.

Now, I'm delightfully ignorant.

(Hope it doesn't show too bad)

Hi, my name is Libertas, and I am an info-junkie.   ;D

And when I am not reading online I am reading good old fashioned books, the ones made from felled trees!   ;D

Reading is like breathing to me.

PS-You seem alright to me, you show good.   ::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 11:39:33 AM »
Libertas, you've got a good Jones.

For a long time, I had been off of reading anything that couldn't be scanned or read in a couple minutes.

Recently, I decided to start reading for fun and relaxation.
Sometimes, I read places other than the "library"

So, I started reading old science fiction.

Heinlein was my favorite through my early teen years until I got old enough to look for trouble.

So, for the last couple months, I have been rereading stuff that I probably read 45+ years ago.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 12:57:26 PM »
Btw, I noticed Gateway Pundit has disabled comments in the last couple days.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 02:35:57 PM »
Speaking of reading in general...maybe we should take a look at this new book. I have a feeling that we won't be seeing the author(s) featured on The Today Show.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2013, 03:36:17 PM »

Yeah, it ought to be a good read although there is a little voice that's telling me it may be disinformation.

The has an article on it here.
It touches on one of the old time favorites ala Ollie North,  I'd like to hear/read his review of the book.

Daily Mail - Deputy National Security Advisor) John Brennan also ran a highly compartmentalized program out of the White House in regard to weapons transfers, and Stevens would not have been trusted with that type of information. Stevens likely helped consolidate as many weapons as possible after the war to safeguard them, at which point Brennan exported them overseas to start another conflict.

Drudge
IAL
The Other McCain
Ace
Zero
then it's follow the links where they may go.

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 06:30:30 PM »
I usually rotate between Breitbart, Drudge, Hot Air, Gateway Pundit, Blaze, Ace o' Spades and here.

Ditto. First choice is us guys and gals.
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.