Author Topic: What do you read?  (Read 2166 times)

Offline robins111

Re: What do you read?
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 07:50:54 PM »
1-IAL
2-Drudge
3-The Blaze
4-ZeroHedge
5-Gateway Pundit

If I can expand the list

6-AOS
7-IOTW
8-IMAO
9-WeasleZippers
10-Blackfive
11-SmallDeadAnimals
12-StrategyPage
13-Jerusalem Post
14-ThePeoplesCube
15-VDH

Oh heck I'm everywhere!

Pretty much my list, but I'm too lazy to type it, so i copied yours.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2013, 07:59:46 PM »
I usually rotate between Breitbart, Drudge, Hot Air, Gateway Pundit, Blaze, Ace o' Spades and here.

Ditto. First choice is us guys and gals.

Yup, mine too. I listed us last only as an easy hat-tip to humility, but I check here before anywhere. And honestly, because we draw our news from so many sources, I'm pleasantly surprised at how often we have the scoop before one or more of the "majors" have it - especially tepid-air. They're late to the party quite often.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 09:46:35 PM »
1-IAL
2-Drudge
3-The Blaze
4-ZeroHedge
5-Gateway Pundit

If I can expand the list

6-AOS
7-IOTW
8-IMAO
9-WeasleZippers
10-Blackfive
11-SmallDeadAnimals
12-StrategyPage
13-Jerusalem Post
14-ThePeoplesCube
15-VDH

Oh heck I'm everywhere!

Pretty much my list, but I'm too lazy to type it, so i copied yours.

::hat-tip::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

RickZ

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2013, 04:26:26 PM »
Okay, here's my story.  The election changed my reading habits --for the worse.

Back when I worked, I used to read voraciously (riding mass transit gives one lots of time to read books).  I also used to buy up to three papers a day, The NYTimes, The NYPost and the NYDailyNews.  Now I no longer buy newspapers and I only read them via someone linking something to them; I do not even scan the websites.  My last job was at Barnes&Noble, and there were free publishers' samples in the kitchens that were on 3 floors (out of what 10-12?, I forget), along with cds and other items like calendars, not to mention my employee discount.  At one point, a librarian felt sorry for me and gave me a new card as I had worn it out using it so much.  Now I hardly venture into a library (here in NYC, in my immigrant neighborhood, I don't speak Hindi or Spanish or Russian, which all have sections.  The new arrivals are pretty much eye candy schlock.

Currently, as crazy as it sounds, I'm rereading a lot of my books that I have, both from school and later.  (How many people have a copy of The Warren Commission?)  I reread one my Japanese history textbooks, by Edwin O. Reischauer.  I was shocked at the liberal bullsh1t I never noticed 35 years ago.  At one point, the author did the same 'US war crimes' dance when it came to Hiroshima and Nagasaki that we've heard of late.  I also noticed that a lot of the gory Japanese history was downplayed, specifically The Rape of Nanking.  (Iris Chang's book on that part of history is excellent.)  I still read my poetry, Whitman, Dickenson, Frost and a few others.  I used to be a voracious reader of historical mysteries, will still read the series I have.  Not too long ago, I reread the Hornblower series, for the third time.  I just finished Lord of the Rings for the 5th time.  I also had to re-buy, as someone borrowed my copy and I never got it back, my preference over Atlas Shrugged, It Can't Happen Here, by Sinclair Lewis; I've read quite of bit of Lewis and do enjoy other of his works, like Arrowsmith, Main Street and Babbit.  A year ago, I finally bought a large one book compilation containing the entire 10 book Amber series by Roger Zelazny; I love those books.  I am also partial to the Rumpole of the Bailey series, by John Mortimer, as well as Bernard Cornwell historical fiction books, like the Richard Sharpe series.  My reading has been altered by the authors, as well, specifically being a moonbat (like boycotting movies).  I won't read Stephen King anymore.  I find very little new stuff of any interest.  Give me my bound volume of The Iliad and The Odyssey.

As far as internet reading, that's way down.  Besides the two forums, both great sites for news aggregation, I will go Ace of Spades (I enjoy the freewheeling sockpuppetry).  Another blog I frequent is neo-neocon, which has a good commenting community.  But I no longer go to a ton of saved favorites like My Pet Jawa, Idiotarian Rottweiler, Whizbang, Hot Air, Powerline, Gateway Pundit, Jihad Watch or any of the other so-called conservative sites.  I simply can't be bothered because all the political posturing in the world is not going to stop the onrushing civil war the progressive/commie thugs are hell bent on starting in order to keep and increase their power; another old saying comes to mind, be careful what you wish for.  I just find the political gaming theorists to be full of shyt and can't be bothered anymore; a lot of those places had 'tone' problems, as calling Owebama a few years ago a racist commie thug would have gotten me banned.  I'm sick and tired of the sugarcoating euphemisms that have been hurled around of late to provide cover for our Lard and Sewage*, King Putt.

I use the internet for recipes and other cooking needs, so I don't have to buy cookbooks anymore, although I still use the few that I have.  I used to play the game of 'follow the links' and see where I ended up, but even that is not now enjoyable.

I feel like I'm living in a surreal calm before all hell breaks loose.  Because of that, I tend to stick to old and comfortable book friends more than anything else.

*  Thank you, Libertas.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2013, 05:12:05 PM »
I used to be a voracious consumer of fiction novels - particularly sci-fi/fantasy with a sprinkling of horror/paranormal stuff just to change things up. I gobbled up the work of authors like Tolkien, Lewis, Donaldson, Goodkind, Asimov, Heinlein, Martin, Herbert, King, Barker, Lovecraft, and Koontz.

Then came 9/11/01, and my sudden obsession with world and national events, culture, politics, etc. Honestly, I began with talk radio a couple years before that, so my conservative perspective was burgeoning as 9/11 hit. But many things became clear to me then, and in an instant, spending hours on end reading for enjoyment seemed frivolous with so much vital information to be consumed via the Internet.

I don't read for enjoyment anymore. At all. I went from someone who read for pleasure all the time, to never, ever doing it anymore. I've been missing it lately.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 06:09:54 PM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2013, 05:48:06 PM »
At one point, the author did the same 'US war crimes' dance when it came to Hiroshima and Nagasaki that we've heard of late.  I also noticed that a lot of the gory Japanese history was downplayed, specifically The Rape of Nanking.

Yes, this kind of crap has always been around,but we used to simply pass it off as the rambling, incoherent nonsense of raving lunatics. Now those same lunatics occupy the white house!

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2013, 08:09:48 PM »
At one point, the author did the same 'US war crimes' dance when it came to Hiroshima and Nagasaki that we've heard of late.  I also noticed that a lot of the gory Japanese history was downplayed, specifically The Rape of Nanking.

Actually its ruined a lot of things I loved when I was younger.  Now when I re-read I am sickened by the liberal bent of a lot of stuff - which of course I was oblivious to when I was young and stupid.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2013, 09:02:24 AM »
I used to play the game of 'follow the links' and see where I ended up, but even that is not now enjoyable.

I feel it my patriotic duty to keep up on stuff if for no other reason than to add to the charges leveled at my enemies.  Sure, we are the the point of extreme overkill these past several years, but I have to pass the time somehow, I cannot get everything done TEOTWAWKI related at the snap of a finger, so what the heck.  Sounds like cooking is your refuge, it's all good.
 ::thumbsup::

I feel like I'm living in a surreal calm before all hell breaks loose.  Because of that, I tend to stick to old and comfortable book friends more than anything else.

I think we are all feeling the later, and I feel like I've felt it for a couple decades.  The latter for me is primarily history books and a smattering of favorite novels and old movies.

*  Thank you, Libertas.

::hat-tip::

Glad to help.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2013, 06:03:58 PM »

Found this at Ace and am passing it along to those who
have youngsters, especially those besieged by govt schools.

In case one or more links are fried:
Author Amelia Hamilton heard about our book thread via Gabe Malor and in her e-mail she tells me that her new patriotic children's book, 10 Steps to Freedom: A Growing Patriot's Guide to the American Revolution will be out this week. This is actually the second book in the series. The first one is One Nation Under God: A Book for Growing Patriots. Both books may be purchased from her website.

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2013, 11:10:57 PM »
I am sorry, but when I read this subject headline, all I could think was:

The handwriting on the wall!
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2013, 07:14:12 AM »
I usually rotate between Breitbart, Drudge, Hot Air, Gateway Pundit, Blaze, Ace o' Spades and here.

Ditto. First choice is us guys and gals.

Yup, mine too. I listed us last only as an easy hat-tip to humility, but I check here before anywhere. And honestly, because we draw our news from so many sources, I'm pleasantly surprised at how often we have the scoop before one or more of the "majors" have it - especially tepid-air. They're late to the party quite often.

I don't want to make accusations or anything but I've noticed that when something shows up here, it follows at other places some of us post at, with our tag line link back to here.

Just speculatin'  ::thinking::

Offline pisskop

• Bump me, America!
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2013, 11:25:55 AM »
I occasionally have linked back here.  Mostly on more liberal sites where the reception is between  ::speechless:: and  ::falldownshocked:: to  ::angry:: and  ::lalanotlistening::

Mostly  ::lalanotlistening::.

And for my 5?

The very first things I check every time Im on my laptop, which isnt every day:

1) Bay12 gaming forum (lib forum)
2) IAL
3) JPP debate forum
4) Email
5) Assorted news sites in no particular order.  First is China, then Pravda, then . . .
[MANNERISM_THREAD:lurk]

Today's ??? (_01OCT13_):

Quote from: midcan5;1330627
'Conservative' in America has come to be taken over by 'power.'

Offline Lisa in PA

• Likes the place
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2013, 10:26:36 AM »
I want to thank everyone who answered.  I used to read a couple novels a week, in addition to everything else, mostly work related and news in general.  Because of the nature of my illness, it now takes me about two months to get through one book, I don't read for work, and I spend way too much time on the internet trying to keep up with the news (actually the time wasted is probably reading all the comments!).  So I am trying to prioritize, but remain well informed.  There are so many sites, but a lot of them repeat the same information.  So thanks again!

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2013, 06:16:57 PM »
  I read prety much anything that catches my eye on subjects I care about,the Knights Templar for example.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie