Author Topic: Ammo tests with the M1 Carbine  (Read 1811 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Ammo tests with the M1 Carbine
« on: February 10, 2013, 03:23:22 AM »
This guy has one of my favorite channels on YouTube.  He does some great tests of ammo, about as sophisticated as you can get outside of a full fledged ballistics lab. I highly recommend his channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/tnoutdoors9

Anyhow I was perusing his most recent uploads and noticed he did a gelatin test with the M1 Carbine. I figured our very own Pandora might be interested in these tests of her preferred carbine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrIWhoDMXuI

ETA - notice the visible mirage trails of the first few opening shots? I've always heard that snipers can use that to make corrections to their fire, but never actually seen one show up so well.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: Ammo tests with the M1 Carbine
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 09:17:10 AM »
Great vid! I've book marked his page for future reference.

Thanks for the link!
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 10:56:20 AM »
Pretty good.  I like the 1911 video.  I like the dark sunglasses and suit coming out of the house firing.  I am always jealous of guys that have lots of land and shooting targets about, that Glock guy on YouTube has a nice set up too.  And hitting at 100 & 200 yards with a handgun?  Jeesh, I'm lucky to see a target at 100 yards!

The Santa one is a hoot.

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 12:42:15 PM »
Thank you, Glock!  Interesting and informative on the Carbine, particularly the damage done at 25 yards.

I've probably mentioned before that one of my good friends keeps nagging at me about getting a rifle effective at a greater distance (that 25 yard test appears to *not* be the outer range of effective), but the M1 is about the limit of what I can handle well without a bench-rest.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 06:29:13 PM »
I've probably mentioned before that one of my good friends keeps nagging at me about getting a rifle effective at a greater distance (that 25 yard test appears to *not* be the outer range of effective), but the M1 is about the limit of what I can handle well without a bench-rest.

If that's what works for ya, tell 'em to pound sand (in a nice way ::curtsy4::}
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 06:55:54 PM »

I have, but you know how some people are, even our friends; they make you repeatyourselfrepeatyourselfrepeatyourself (riffing off Transformers).
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 04:44:47 AM »
Go ahead and repeatyourself as often as you need to, until you start drawing weird stuff everywhere you won't scare anybody.  ;D

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 12:43:47 PM »
Pretty good.  I like the 1911 video.  I like the dark sunglasses and suit coming out of the house firing.  I am always jealous of guys that have lots of land and shooting targets about, that Glock guy on YouTube has a nice set up too.  And hitting at 100 & 200 yards with a handgun?  Jeesh, I'm lucky to see a target at 100 yards!

The Santa one is a hoot.

Which Glock guy?  Is it hickok45?  He has a great YouTube channel too. I am in total envy of his backyard shooting range. He has dozens of awesome steel targets. And yes, how he consistently hits stuff at 100+ yards with a handgun is crazy.

- Yours Truly

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 02:31:51 PM »

The Santa one is a hoot.

Which Glock guy?  Is it hickok45?  He has a great YouTube channel too. I am in total envy of his backyard shooting range. He has dozens of awesome steel targets. And yes, how he consistently hits stuff at 100+ yards with a handgun is crazy.

Yeah, that's the dude, he got the play area I'd like!   ::thumbsup::

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 05:05:37 AM »

I have, but you know how some people are, even our friends; they make you repeatyourselfrepeatyourselfrepeatyourself (riffing off Transformers).

Pan ... Keep emphasizing simplicity and dependability too .

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 10:50:18 AM »
Plenty of Germans, Italians, Japanese, North Koreans, and Viet Cong who aren't any less dead just because the M1 Carbine isn't a 1,000 yard battle rifle.

Pan have you fired anything in 7.62x39? I don't really know what the M1 Carbine recoil is like, but I would guess the 7.62x39 isn't very much more. Might be a possibility if you did want something with a bit more oomph.

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 11:54:34 AM »
Plenty of Germans, Italians, Japanese, North Koreans, and Viet Cong who aren't any less dead just because the M1 Carbine isn't a 1,000 yard battle rifle.

Pan have you fired anything in 7.62x39? I don't really know what the M1 Carbine recoil is like, but I would guess the 7.62x39 isn't very much more. Might be a possibility if you did want something with a bit more oomph.

I've shot all of Gunsmith's rifles (don't ask me to name 'em) including the FN49.  It isn't the recoil that's the problem -- and the M1's isn't too bad -- it's the weight, and it's a strain on my left arm to help keep the rifle shoved into my shoulder, and up, while my right hand is working the trigger, thus the need for a bench-rest.  I can shoot anything, it just depends on the circumstances and what may be around for resting purposes; the M1 is something I can handle standing alone because it's short enough to accommodate my relatively short arms.

Pick any kid you know that's 4' 10" and 93 lbs.  Would you expect him/her to be able to handle a longer, heavier rifle as a matter of course?

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 05:01:08 PM »

I've shot all of Gunsmith's rifles (don't ask me to name 'em) including the FN49.  It isn't the recoil that's the problem -- and the M1's isn't too bad -- it's the weight, and it's a strain on my left arm to help keep the rifle shoved into my shoulder, and up, while my right hand is working the trigger, thus the need for a bench-rest.  I can shoot anything, it just depends on the circumstances and what may be around for resting purposes; the M1 is something I can handle standing alone because it's short enough to accommodate my relatively short arms.

Pick any kid you know that's 4' 10" and 93 lbs.  Would you expect him/her to be able to handle a longer, heavier rifle as a matter of course?

I got back from the range around three with the wife and she goes next Wed.for her class and we got for her permit......93 pounds you putting on weight?
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 05:21:21 PM »
No, I need my hair cut.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 06:03:04 PM »

Watch Hickok, practice more with the Kimber and chuck the M2.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2013, 09:10:12 PM »
Another option for the venerable M1 Carbine has entered the marketplace: Hornady Critical Defense

Critical Defense® 30 Carbine from Hornady®

- Yours Truly

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2013, 02:32:10 PM »
Hornady just makes damn fine stuff!   ::thumbsup::

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2013, 03:35:59 PM »
Yeah that looks like good zombie medicine.

- Yours Truly