Author Topic: Mark Burnett's "The Bible" mini-series  (Read 2294 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Mark Burnett's "The Bible" mini-series
« on: March 17, 2013, 11:51:48 PM »
This show is making some waves in predictable corners. Those who hate God hate this show. Those who think the bar for literal depiction of scripture can never be high enough are suspicious of what is included, what's not, and how it's portrayed. I watched one episode, and while I found it rather banal from an entertainment standpoint, and the dramatizations unconvincing and melodramatic, I thought it was at the very least a reverent treatment of the subject, and an earnest attempt to relate bible stories as truth without the incessant need to explain things in worldly terms. Never in the episode I watched did the producers editorialize in a way that tried to draw ones mind away from the scriptures as truth.

I think Mark Burnett's work is a mixed bag - "Survivor", "The Apprentice" in the not good category, and "Sarah Palin's Alaska" and "Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader" in the OK column. I personally think he's pissing off the right people with this Bible show.

And for your viewing pleasure, if you have any doubts about what Mark Burnett thinks of Barack the boy-king, here is a picture of Satan, as viewed by Mark Burnett....

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
Re: Mark Burnett's "The Bible" mini-series
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 12:16:18 AM »
I've been watching it and have seen all three episodes.

It would be impossible in 10 hours to relate The Bible.

Some stuff is a little hokey. For example, angels fight like ninjas.

I have seen others criticize it but I find it a good story worth watching.

I am amazed that the communist history channel even aired it and accept ads from the main advertiser, Christian Mingles

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 12:38:41 AM »
I haven't really watched it yet. I caught a few minutes depicting the battle between David and Goliath. Is it all Old Testament? I am generally apprehensive about modern popular dramatizations of the Bible because I am always expecting a heavy dose of Social Justice Jesus as some proto Che Guevara.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 06:11:20 AM »
I've been watching all the episodes, have not noticed anything objectionable yet, they ended last nights episode with Jesus going after his first recruit.

As for that pic, dude looks roughly familiar...but there isn't a prompter in front of him so I cannot be sure. 
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 09:19:13 AM »

It reminds me of old Sunday School reels.  Taken in context of late twentieth century early twenty first century revisionism, moral equivalence, and social justice, IDP is correct, it's quite remarkable.  I imagine many are shocked at the straightforward presentation.  Thanks for your work, Mark.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 01:30:47 PM »
I've only seen one episode, but I thought it was pretty fair.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 01:39:46 PM »
I didn't know anything about it (no boob-toob), but heard Rush mention it this morning. I laughed when he mentioned that there was a actor playing Satan that bore an uncanny resemblance to a real-life malevolent character. In viewing IDP's screenshot I would have to agree.

::evil::

Offline pisskop

• Bump me, America!
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 02:50:38 PM »
This was my day's highlight.  They've already released a statement saying they meant no resemblence and the actor has played many 'evil' roles in biblical epics well before Obama was elected president.
http://www.thewrap.com/tv/column-post/bible-producer-obama-devil-link-utter-nonsense-81616
[MANNERISM_THREAD:lurk]

Today's ??? (_01OCT13_):

Quote from: midcan5;1330627
'Conservative' in America has come to be taken over by 'power.'

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 02:59:29 PM »
It is so hilarious that this has gone viral, but it does not surprise me lefties are up in arms about it being as though they have the thinnest skin and most fragile egos on the planet.  It would also not surprise me if they use this to gin up more bitter-clinger hate.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 03:01:10 PM »
This show is making some waves in predictable corners. Those who hate God hate this show. Those who think the bar for literal depiction of scripture can never be high enough are suspicious of what is included, what's not, and how it's portrayed. I watched one episode, and while I found it rather banal from an entertainment standpoint, and the dramatizations unconvincing and melodramatic, I thought it was at the very least a reverent treatment of the subject, and an earnest attempt to relate bible stories as truth without the incessant need to explain things in worldly terms. Never in the episode I watched did the producers editorialize in a way that tried to draw ones mind away from the scriptures as truth.

I think Mark Burnett's work is a mixed bag - "Survivor", "The Apprentice" in the not good category, and "Sarah Palin's Alaska" and "Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader" in the OK column. I personally think he's pissing off the right people with this Bible show.

And for your viewing pleasure, if you have any doubts about what Mark Burnett thinks of Barack the boy-king, here is a picture of Satan, as viewed by Mark Burnett....

Barack...is that you?
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 03:05:30 PM »
Where's da Wookie at?

::hysterical::

Offline pisskop

• Bump me, America!
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 03:08:26 PM »
grrr beat me to a starwars joke!
[MANNERISM_THREAD:lurk]

Today's ??? (_01OCT13_):

Quote from: midcan5;1330627
'Conservative' in America has come to be taken over by 'power.'

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 03:59:19 PM »
This was my day's highlight.  They've already released a statement saying they meant no resemblence and the actor has played many 'evil' roles in biblical epics well before Obama was elected president.
http://www.thewrap.com/tv/column-post/bible-producer-obama-devil-link-utter-nonsense-81616

I dunno but flies are peculiarly attracted to Obongo's face.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 06:02:49 PM »
Heh.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 07:15:08 PM »
Damn that's funny  :D

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 07:28:31 PM »
 ::hysterical:: ::clapping::
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 08:20:27 PM »
Priceless.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 09:38:43 PM »
That's a classic. I'm gonna have to share.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson