Author Topic: Quickly dying American industries  (Read 2920 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Quickly dying American industries
« on: March 30, 2011, 11:31:14 AM »
Quickly dying American industries

Click through for a graphic.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Quickly dying American industries
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 12:29:25 PM »
To be fair, several of those industries are not being killed by the government, but by new technology. 
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 12:35:17 PM »
To be fair, several of those industries are not being killed by the government, but by new technology. 

Yup, true dat. But one wonders even for those (like video rental for instance) how government malfeasance is hastening their demise, or coloring their overall financial picture as the market reaches its natural consensus.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 12:42:59 PM »
24/7 wallstreet has a list of 10 brands expected to disappear in 2011...

Reader’s Digest
Blockbuster, Inc.
Dollar Thrifty Automotive Group
T-Mobile
Moody’s Corp
BP p.l.c.
RadioShack
Zale Corporation
Merrill Lynch
Kia Motors Corporation

Much more at the link, including descriptions of why these companies are speculated to fail.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 12:53:33 PM »

Yup, true dat. But one wonders even for those (like video rental for instance) how government malfeasance is hastening their demise, or coloring their overall financial picture as the market reaches its natural consensus.

Video rental going the way of the dinosaur because of Netflix and computer download availability.  Even paying for it is less of a hassle than having to actually, like, you know, drive to the, you know, place.  (Little modern hyperbole there).  Plus, DVD purchase online means you get to keep the flick, not just rent.

Record stores?  Same thing, IMO.  Easier to go on iTunes and download the few acceptable tunes than having to spring for the whole "album".

Admittedly, I could be missing something in terms of government malfeasance here, besides the tax consequences driving all business into desperate straits.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 12:58:13 PM »
24/7 wallstreet has a list of 10 brands expected to disappear in 2011...

Reader’s Digest
Blockbuster, Inc.
Dollar Thrifty Automotive Group
T-Mobile
Moody’s Corp
BP p.l.c.
RadioShack
Zale Corporation
Merrill Lynch
Kia Motors Corporation

Much more at the link, including descriptions of why these companies are speculated to fail.

I've always been satisfied with what I've gotten from RadioShack.  As far as them being bought by BestBuy - FEH!  I avoid BestBuy like the plague; my experience with their "sales staff" has been miserable.  They suck.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 01:11:05 PM »
...I could be missing something in terms of government malfeasance here, besides the tax consequences driving all business into desperate straits.

I don't think you're missing anything except maybe a real general point I'm trying to make. That is that in a stronger economy - presumably one presided over by a government that doesn't actively interfere out of hatred for free market principles, that would instead stand aside and allow recovery - the demise of these companies would come slower, their customer base would erode slower, their presence in the marketplace would remain longer, their employees would remain employed longer, and their eventual exit from the market could be planned for, eased into, and more easily absorbed by the economy as a whole.

Blockbuster's going away, there's not been any doubt about that for several years now. But the manner in which they exit the marketplace and the effect it will have on the industry, their employees, and to some degree the economy, is negatively impacted by this government.

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 01:21:50 PM »
But the manner in which they exit the marketplace and the effect it will have on the industry, their employees, and to some degree the economy, is negatively impacted by this government.

I agree here in that the impact would be lessened if there were new ventures in which to move the employees and the capital.  This is where the government's negative influence comes into effect, I'd say, because almost nothing new is being started anywhere.

Is that what you meant?

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 01:24:27 PM »
I can't stand to see Radio Shack going away with, they are about the only 'man' store left in the malls. :(
TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 02:34:34 PM »
But the manner in which they exit the marketplace and the effect it will have on the industry, their employees, and to some degree the economy, is negatively impacted by this government.

I agree here in that the impact would be lessened if there were new ventures in which to move the employees and the capital.  This is where the government's negative influence comes into effect, I'd say, because almost nothing new is being started anywhere.

Is that what you meant?
Actually no, but that is a great point that fleshes out my "overall effect on the economy" point.

I am simply asking myself the question, how much longer would have (ABCXYZ Company) been able to hold on to market share/provide jobs/serve customers/sustain a fading industry, if not for the destructive interference of government in the economy? And subsequently the questions that are birthed from that; How much could the impact of the eventual insolvency been mitigated for shareholders, employees, etc, if not for that government interference? What is the cumulative effect of the hastening of the demise of these businesses and industries on the economy as a whole? How are local markets being impacted by the loss of these storefronts abruptly now rather than attenuated later?

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 09:18:28 PM »

I thing BigGov jumped the shark on this one.  These lines were dead or dying, the shame is, it is his fault other businesses are not flourishing thus allowing workers to move into new employment and not two freaking years on the dole.  Yes he wants them on the dole but these dinosaurs are intent on bucking the evolutionary trend.

the following was produces upon seeing the chart:

Most of these industries are dinosaurs

Land lines: _they offer little benefit to the customer and still over charge

Mills: _ _ _, _flour mills? EPA  steel mills? UNIONS, EPA

Newspapers: _I'm shocked

Apparel Manufacturing: _ranks just above farm labor, if COs were allowed robots mfg. would come back or go to Japan

DVD:    _if only they would make a movie or present a decent musical opportunity

Video Postproduction:_ _ _DVD probably has the answer

Record Stores:  _What is a record store?  I keep a record of my inventory

Photo finishing: _Monitor? WalMart?   

Formal: _ ::laughonfloor::  in America? America sleeps with the hogs

24/7 is on top of it.  T-Mobil; it is being bought by AT&T, that was knowledge last week.  AT&T is Union and T-Mobil wasn't 2, 3, 4.