Author Topic: What's the best weapon for home defense?  (Read 8173 times)

Offline fingerroll

• Likes the place
What's the best weapon for home defense?
« on: March 30, 2011, 01:19:06 PM »
If you were purchasing a weapon for home defense what would it be?

Offline radioman

• A Regular
Re: What's the best weapon for home defense?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 01:21:50 PM »
A pistola.
TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 01:22:23 PM »
A shotgun.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 02:16:00 PM »
A shotgun.

That. ^^^

12 ga. 00 buckshot load, as short a barrel as your state allows (usually 18" IIRC) preferably a modified choke, butt-stock (my preference), pump action (for the intimidating sound as much as anything).

I'd look at a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500 - something along those lines.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 02:19:21 PM »
A pistola.

What's that sayin' from the gunnies?  A pistola is the means by which you get to your long gun?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 02:35:29 PM »
A shotgun.

Absolutely!!I prefer#4 buck shot. A little more cleaning but excellent coverage.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 02:50:53 PM »
A pistola.

What's that sayin' from the gunnies?  A pistola is the means by which you get to your long gun?

Actually, I was referring to the 'judge'. :)
TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 04:18:32 PM »
A shotgun.

Absolutely!!I prefer#4 buck shot. A little more cleaning but excellent coverage.

We're on the same page here. I load Fiocchi #4 buck, nickel plated high velocity shot. Italian magic :)
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 04:50:26 PM »
A shotgun.

We're on the same page here. I load Fiocchi #4 buck, nickel plated high velocity shot. Italian magic :)

Being Italian I like the foreign stuff better so I buy Remington or Winchester.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 05:31:03 PM »
Shotgun in the bedroom. The JIC. You break in our home, to get to us of anything of value, gotta go up the stairs and down the hall.

The Judge is a cool pistol.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 05:48:21 PM »
Shotgun in the bedroom. The JIC. You break in our home, to get to us of anything of value, gotta go up the stairs and down the hall.

That scenario is exactly why I prefer the pump action 12 gauge. I have no first hand experience, but I can only imagine that the metallic "shhhut-shhhuck" of a Rem 870 coming from another part of the house is gonna scare away a good percentage of home invaders.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 05:50:26 PM »

That scenario is exactly why I prefer the pump action 12 gauge. I have no first hand experience, but I can only imagine that the metallic "shhhut-shhhuck" of a Rem 870 coming from another part of the house is gonna scare away a good percentage of home invaders.

Exactly.  We've got a pump as well.

I figure if the racking sound doesn't send them flying out the way they came, it's the all-clear for pulling the trigger.

Yes, Radioman; The Judge is a good'un.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 06:12:10 PM »
I finished my 870 conversion. Fits like a glove.

Looks like this except for black on black and has an LED light.
The light alone should knock 'em on their arses  ;D

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 06:17:01 PM »
With this damned one floor house and a split floor plan I have to make sure that the only body moving around is me.I keep the 1100 in one end of the house and the over under in another and the pump in another.The rest in the safe.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 07:17:27 AM »

Exactly.  We've got a pump as well.

I figure if the racking sound doesn't send them flying out the way they came, it's the all-clear for pulling the trigger.

Yes, Radioman; The Judge is a good'un.

I also like my 870 loaded with #4 buck, the sound of a shell being loaded will cause them either to flee or to wet their pants and freeze, the latter being just in time for me to get a bead on them!

As far as The Judge goes, I've shot my BIL's with 45's in it, but as far as the 410's I am thinking the range to target has be much closer.  (Typically people have the 3" barrel model)  Not sure if there is much difference in range between 2.5" or 3" shells, but I like the better stand off distance of a full 12g!  My sister likes it at home because I think being a gal she is a little more intimidated by a shotgun, and The Judge being a revolver seems less intimidating to her.

Also, depending how comfortable you are with pistols that may be an option.  With the advent of laser sights and lighting options, a decent marksman can be effective with pistols around the home as well.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 10:39:01 AM »
I prefer a pistol, but honestly, I don't know how hard the heart would be pumpin if someone broke in and how accurate I might be. I feel I have a better opportunity hitting my target with the JIC.

My hall is approx 25 feet in length. I have a two story, so you gotta break in from below and come up 20 steps. By that time, I'm figuring the perp is tired and the sound of the pump will cause bodily fluid release. If I am fortunate,the perp runs and heads out back for the woods, where I can exit onto my deck and blow off a couple rounds, hopefully sending the perp into cardiac arrest.

It is my dream senario...... ::rockets:: ::laserkill::
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 10:50:25 AM »

Predators always look for the weakest defense or easiest entry.
A pair of Dobies, burglars don't break in they pass on to the next house.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 11:17:12 AM »

Predators always look for the weakest defense or easiest entry.
A pair of Dobies, burglars don't break in they pass on to the next house.

That's funny - we used to have a Min-Pin. Because he looked like a little Doberman Pincher, my son called him "Dobie" while he was playing with him at the breeder, and the name stuck. RIP Dobie.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 07:11:34 PM »
I had a golden retriever who might have been good for security by causing the burglar to trip over him as he slept through the entire thing.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 07:20:13 PM »
I had a golden retriever who might have been good for security by causing the burglar to trip over him as he slept through the entire thing.

That'd be similar to my cats running for cover at the "scary noise"; if you're awaaaake at the time, it's a pretty good head's up.