Author Topic: What's the best weapon for home defense?  (Read 8064 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Re: What's the best weapon for home defense?
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2011, 08:09:23 PM »
We had one of these.

Rottweiler puppy with hiccups

Nobody questioned his intentions,if they only knew.That he would let them kill me but would destroy them if my wife and kids were home alone.Me a dead man.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2011, 08:55:27 PM »

Offline OllieK

• Newb
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2011, 09:27:33 PM »
I agree: a pistola...but a laser sight is essential.  

IMHO a reliable semi-auto chambered in 9mm that you and your spouse are trained to use is the best first line of defense.  A handgun can be kept more discretely in the master bedroom and is therefore more readily available on short notice, such as when an uninvited guest is breaking into your home.  A laser sight takes the guesswork out of where your shot is going to go, and is probably more intimidating on the bad guys chest than the sound of racking a shotgun, which only gives away that you don't have a shell in the receiver.  A handgun is much easier to maneuver inside the confines of a home, is easier for a woman to handle and has much less recoil. This debate of shotgun versus handgun will go on forever, but with customized laser grips and sights becoming available for many popular semi-auto pistols, I think these are winning out.  You still have to aim the shotgun since at short distances, the shot will not spread very much.  And, at short distances, you will be more accurate with the handgun-laser combo that you don't have to aim.  Two quick rounds to the chest should give most bad guys pause, with the possible exception of a crazed 300 pounder who will need more discouraging.  That being said, I have both, but I know I can get to the pistol much faster and be ready for action before I could even begin to think about racking the shotgun.  

::laserkill::
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 09:29:57 PM by OllieK »

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 09:36:09 PM »

IMHO a reliable semi-auto chambered in 9mm that you and your spouse are trained to use is the best first line of defense.  A handgun can be kept more discretely in the master bedroom and is therefore more readily available on short notice, such as when an uninvited guest is breaking into your home.  A laser sight takes the guesswork out of where your shot is going to go, and is probably more intimidating on the bad guys chest than the sound of racking a shotgun, which only gives away that you don't have a shell in the receiver.  A handgun is much easier to maneuver inside the confines of a home, is easier for a woman to handle and has much less recoil. This debate of shotgun versus handgun will go on forever, but with customized laser grips and sights becoming available for many popular semi-auto pistols, I think these are winning out.  You still have to aim the shotgun since at short distances, the shot will not spread very much.  And, at short distances, you will be more accurate with the handgun-laser combo that you don't have to aim.  Two quick rounds to the chest should give most bad guys pause, with the possible exception of a crazed 300 pounder who will need more discouraging.  That being said, I have both, but I know I can get to the pistol much faster and be ready for action before I could even begin to think about racking the shotgun.  

Welcome aboard. This is one argument that will never end so I'm not having it.But to say 9mm is not enough gun.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2011, 11:22:30 PM »

IMHO a reliable semi-auto chambered in 9mm that you and your spouse are trained to use is the best first line of defense.  A handgun can be kept more discretely in the master bedroom and is therefore more readily available on short notice, such as when an uninvited guest is breaking into your home.  A laser sight takes the guesswork out of where your shot is going to go, and is probably more intimidating on the bad guys chest than the sound of racking a shotgun, which only gives away that you don't have a shell in the receiver.  A handgun is much easier to maneuver inside the confines of a home, is easier for a woman to handle and has much less recoil. This debate of shotgun versus handgun will go on forever, but with customized laser grips and sights becoming available for many popular semi-auto pistols, I think these are winning out.  You still have to aim the shotgun since at short distances, the shot will not spread very much.  And, at short distances, you will be more accurate with the handgun-laser combo that you don't have to aim.  Two quick rounds to the chest should give most bad guys pause, with the possible exception of a crazed 300 pounder who will need more discouraging.  That being said, I have both, but I know I can get to the pistol much faster and be ready for action before I could even begin to think about racking the shotgun. 

I have no problem with a preference for a pistol over a shotgun. Both are adequate tools. I would differ with you on caliber as I prefer a SW40 in a semi auto load. Laser sights are great although, for me at least, the intimidation factor is useless...if they have the red dot on them it's already too late. I would add a tactical flashlight for home defense.

My preference is three shots. Two in the body and one in the head. At least, that's how I was trained and how I practice.

My defensive shotgun is loaded with alternating shells of 00 buck and slugs. It's mainly for bears. Racking it has no effect on bears.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2011, 11:27:55 PM »
Despite my moniker, which is a pistol chambered for the 357 SIG cartridge, I have no qualms about the 9mm. It has been around since 1902 and plenty of bad guys are pushing up daisies because of it. It has really been given a breath of new life starting in the mid 90s with the latest generation of hollow point designs. If you look at the premier hollow point designs in major handgun calibers, they exhibit average penetration and expansion data very close to one another.

That said, I'm not using any handgun if a shotgun is available and is a reasonable option.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2011, 11:31:20 PM »

About flashlights and redlights, it appears that one, assuming darkness, is broadcasting his exact location. What am I missing?

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2011, 11:54:14 PM »

About flashlights and redlights, it appears that one, assuming darkness, is broadcasting his exact location. What am I missing?

That is most definitely the downside. My CCP instructor recommended we consider avoiding laser sights for exactly that reason, and suggested that between the two, he prefers a flashlight over a laser because of the momentary blinding of your target. Unless you're prepared to pull the trigger the moment your sight comes to rest on target, you're giving away your location and your advantage with a laser or a flashlight. If you're planning on yelling out "stop or I'll shoot", the laser sight or flashlight could get you killed in the dark. But the upside to lasers is that they are a foolproof way to aim, and flashlights ID and clarify your target.

I also have no problem with a 9mm. I think it's an adequate tool in most situations, and easy to control. The only thing it's lacking is absolute stopping power that you'll get in a larger caliber like a .357 Mag or a .45 ACP. Someone shot with a 9mm might not drop before they're inside your personal space. With a .357 or a .45 they likely will.

Welcome to the forum Ollie.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2011, 12:00:23 AM »

Unintended targets, hopefully.  ;D

It's a trade-off I guess. Positive target identification is imperative, so good illumination is a good idea. It has a certain tactical value to it as well, as it can be very disorienting to an intruder to be suddenly blinded. Perhaps to mitigate the disadvantage you have pointed out, you could keep the light off while searching. Maybe break out some night vision goggles like the final scene in The Silence of the Lambs?  ::thumbsup::

- Yours Truly

charlesoakwood

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2011, 12:07:43 AM »

IMHO a reliable semi-auto chambered in 9mm that you and your spouse are trained to use is the best first line of defense.  

Both spouses having the same weapon is a plus.  Also the ladies may be adverse to the recoil of something bigger than a 9.

Welcome to the club, OllieK

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2011, 06:46:26 AM »
I have enough options avialable and blindingly bright flashlights so it's basically dealers choice...none of which will make any intruder feel welcome.   ;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2011, 12:21:34 PM »
I have a Fenix flashlight with 660 lumen LED, it has an alternate strobe mode that would be severely disorienting. I can't believe how bright that thing is.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2011, 01:06:11 PM »
I have three of 200+ lumens, 2 that strobe, but I love my Lenser the best!

I'd like a Fenix, like this one, to go with my collection.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/fenix-tk40-led-flashlight.html

;)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2011, 01:15:56 PM »
Yep, that is the one I have. It's quite a flashlight!

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2011, 01:29:56 PM »
Well, that settles that, in my order goes!

::whoohoo::

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2011, 04:34:42 PM »
If you don't have any already, I recommend getting a few sets of NiMH batteries and a smart charger. I use a LaCrosse BC700 charger and Sanyo Eneloop batteries. They've refined the battery chemistry to the point that they can now sit in storage for 3 years and still retain 75% of their charge. They're a major improvement over first generation rechargeables.

Also the Fenix light has a "smart" circuit that maintains a consistent brightness level until the batteries are almost dead, so there's not that gradual dimming as the batteries drain.

You'll like it!

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2011, 06:53:25 AM »
Sweet.  And yes, I have a couple chargers to go with my Eneloop's!   ;)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2011, 12:24:53 PM »
Huh.  The TK41 is $10 cheaper than the TK40?  And the TK41 has higher lumen rating (covers more distance), longer run times and has the latest/most advanced LED's.  Everything else is the same and the TK41 is only slightly larger in size.

I might go with the TK41.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/fenix-tk41.html

LED info -

http://www.cree.com/products/xlamp_xml.asp

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2011, 08:25:43 PM »
I wish you hadn't shown me that. I ordered one too.  ::beertoast::

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2011, 06:46:04 AM »
 ::hysterical::

ETA - I should receive mine by next Monday/Tuesday!

::beertoast::
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 08:00:03 AM by Libertas »