Author Topic: Beware of Homeland Security Training for Local Law Enforcement, by an Insider  (Read 3476 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
I’ve been in law enforcement for the past 18 years.  I have attended a variety of training over those years.  During the 1990s, most training I attended was community-oriented, sponsored by local agencies or private companies specializing in police training.  Themes common to training of the past included topics such as Constitutional rights, community partnerships, youth-oriented programs and problem-oriented policing.

During the past several years, I have witnessed a dramatic shift in the focus of law enforcement training.  Law enforcement courses have moved away from a local community focus to a federally dominated model of complete social control.  Most training I have attended over the past two years have been sponsored by Department of Homeland Security (DHS), namely the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

So how does a person qualify as a potential domestic terrorist?  Based on the training I have attended, here are characteristics that qualify:

Expressions of libertarian philosophies (statements, bumper stickers)
    Second Amendment-oriented views (NRA or gun club membership, holding a CCW permit)
    Survivalist literature (fictional books such as "Patriots" and "One Second After" are mentioned by name)
    Self-sufficiency (stockpiling food, ammo, hand tools, medical supplies)
    Fear of economic collapse (buying gold and barter items)
    Religious views concerning the book of Revelation (apocalypse, anti-Christ)
    Expressed fears of Big Brother or big government
    Homeschooling
    Declarations of Constitutional rights and civil liberties
    Belief in a New World Order conspiracy

A recent training session I attended encouraged law enforcement agencies to work with business owners to alert police when customers appear to be stockpiling items.  An example was given that a federal agent was monitoring customers at a well known hunting and fishing retail outlet and noting who was purchasing certain items.

I was buying wine by the 4-cases, with a 10% discount per case.  The store won't allow an order that large anymore; claims the state DEA is cracking down on "illegitimate retailing" operations who don't pay the license fee.

There's more, sadly.  RTWT.

H/T nbpundit
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
This is an excellent piece and I encourage you to read the whole thing. This is too good not to share:

Another common tactic used in DHS sponsored training is the slander of certain ideologies by linking an erroneous characteristic to a particular group. Here are some examples:

* These groups hold the anniversaries of certain dates as significant such a Ruby Ridge, Waco and Hitler’s birthday
    * They oppose abortion, support gun rights and are affiliated with the Ku Klux Klan
    * They are fearful of big government, espouse support for the Constitution and want to kill police officers
    * These groups collect firearms, survivalist books and explosives
    * These extremists read books such as Patriots, One Second After and The Anarchist Cookbook
    * They are religious zealots, reading the book of Revelation, speak of the second coming of Christ and plan mass murders to summon the end of the world
    * These people grow their own food, raise livestock and plot attacks on commercial food production facilities

Do you see how this tactic works?  List common characteristics of libertarian/conservative minded people, then throw in a slanderous accusation.  If A and B apply, then you should automatically presume C applies as well.  If they were disturbed by the incidents at Ruby Ridge and Waco, then obviously they must celebrate Hitler’s birthday.  Officers are being conditioned to assume criminal and terroristic views when politically-incorrect views are observed.  As simple-minded and ridiculous as this line of thinking is, there are some officers who unfortunately buy into this.

It does not surprise me one lick to see this being shopped around. For years my tagline was "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you" and for good reason. They are out you "get you". Most urban and suburban cops shops teach that a subdued public is a docile and malleable public. All the while that folks like me were looking askance at cops, they were looking askance at us. All of us.

The secret to my success was to adopt the colorization of my surroundings. Adopting this sociological camouflage allows me to move about freely and go where many others would be stopped or viewed with suspicion. For the most part I keep my mouth shut and my eyes open and strive to leave no wake. I too have taken training shoulder to shoulder with some of the sort mentioned in this piece and I know how lots of them think. They don't know how I think however, and that's by design.

If things settle down I will be able to chalk it all up to prudence. If TSHTF I (hopefully) will be well situated to survive relatively unscathed.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes

::ohno::
I'm on the list. Oh, well.

For the most part I keep my mouth shut and my eyes open and strive to leave no wake.

I live smack dab in the middle of a liberal la-la land. I keep a low profile too. 

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Guess I'm a domestic terrorist then.

::)  ::whoohoo:: ::exitstageleft::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
I'm gonna joke too...because i am most likely on "the list".

But this also disturbs me because to have "instructors" who actually believe this mess?Or has enforcement been infiltrated for decades with this type of thought?......and we will rely on the reasoning of law enforcement in our local communities to act rationally if "the order" ever comes down from on high.

I have a brother in law enforcement. He has mentioned this type of thing before and I haven't paid much attention, apparantly, as I should. I do offer law enforcement a special cost in my business......Guess I stumbled into taking the writers advise.

Just points to the tremendous amount of work there is to do to bring our country back.

I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
I'm gonna joke too...because i am most likely on "the list".

But this also disturbs me because to have "instructors" who actually believe this mess?Or has enforcement been infiltrated for decades with this type of thought?......and we will rely on the reasoning of law enforcement in our local communities to act rationally if "the order" ever comes down from on high.

I have a brother in law enforcement. He has mentioned this type of thing before and I haven't paid much attention, apparantly, as I should. I do offer law enforcement a special cost in my business......Guess I stumbled into taking the writers advise.

Just points to the tremendous amount of work there is to do to bring our country back.

I'd say it's been around for a while**, but now escalating thanks, first, to the militarizing due to "drug enforcement" and now DHS' emphasis on the twisting of ordinary activity into possible, potential terrorism.  Plumbers??  C'mon!

** Several years ago, shortly after acquiring my CCW, I stopped in the "community" cop-shop housed in one of the malls, to ask some questions about the rules of carrying concealed.  The cop was nice enough, but he used the word "civilian" one too many times, until I had to point out, nicely, of course, that unless he was military, he was also a civilian.

I don't know how else to think about the local police now except as a potential force to be utilized against the average citizen, and that sucks.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
I don't know how else to think about the local police now except as a potential force to be utilized against the average citizen, and that sucks.

I blame it on our sorry public education.  For decades everyone's been taught what to think not how with no understanding of the human condition or inalienable rights.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
There has been a definite evolution of an Us & Them dichotomy. I agree the "war on drugs" has been one of the prime drivers of this. The WOD is unquestionably behind the increasing militarization of the civilian police forces, as well as the broadened search and seizure powers. This was, IMO, the real point of the WOD from the get go.

Just based on my informal, unscientific observations about 2/3 of cops will come down on the statist side of the line when/if things reach some sort of crisis phase. In some places that figure is probably more like 100%.

I also think this fits into the movement to federalize the police. The "progressives" have been wanting uniformed federal police for a long, long time.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Guess I'm a domestic terrorist then.

::)  ::whoohoo:: ::exitstageleft::

You know it's funny you say that because when I travel by car or truck I take cash and won't use my credit cards. And this is just a mind game I play because I skip in and out of state and leave no paper trail for anybody to follow.

Maybe I'm just paranoid about the government knowing too much.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
It would be awesome if the Feds spent as much money, resources and manpower protecting the border as they do investigating law-abiding U.S. citizens.
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
It would be awesome if the Feds spent as much money, resources and manpower protecting the border as they do investigating law-abiding U.S. citizens.

This more screwing with a captive audience.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
You know it's funny you say that because when I travel by car or truck I take cash and won't use my credit cards. And this is just a mind game I play because I skip in and out of state and leave no paper trail for anybody to follow.

I don't do this as much as I should. 

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero

I don't want to sound like I'm wearing a tinfoil hat but it's a game I like to play all by myself. With all the ways they have to track our every move I like to drop off the grid for a while sometimes.I'll go so far as to take out of the way roads and come into Connecticut from different states, not hat I have a lot to choose from.But I can come in from different ends.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
The cop was nice enough, but he used the word "civilian" one too many times, until I had to point out, nicely, of course, that unless he was military, he was also a civilian.

I'd loved to have seen the look on his face  :o

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
The cop was nice enough, but he used the word "civilian" one too many times, until I had to point out, nicely, of course, that unless he was military, he was also a civilian.

I'd loved to have seen the look on his face  :o

Classic "boggle" for a couple seconds and then he recovered by admitting I was right.  Like I said, nice enough.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero

I don't want to sound like I'm wearing a tinfoil hat but it's a game I like to play all by myself. With all the ways they have to track our every move I like to drop off the grid for a while sometimes.I'll go so far as to take out of the way roads and come into Connecticut from different states, not hat I have a lot to choose from.But I can come in from different ends.

Hey, I get ya.

I have a pretty good sense of directions and can read a map.  I often go often the beaten path and even if I choose not to, I know where it is.  ;D
I think it's an important skill.  A few years ago we had a major storm that tied up traffic (uprooted trees blocked roads, traffic lights out) and I was able to get home in a reasonable amount of time because I knew my roads.

When my kids were younger we used to get in the car and drive all over creation for an "adventure".

charlesoakwood

There are several things that we, the patriotic, self-sufficient defenders of liberty can do to counter this effort.  First, get involved in local elections.  Elect county sheriffs who will not fall for such propaganda nor go along with oppressive federal agendas.  Elect city council members who will not tolerate such behavior by their city police department.  Elect state representatives who will hold state agencies accountable for participating in such tactics.  Bring these issues up during elections, demand a public statement on their position on such propaganda and a promise to stand against these efforts while in office.

Second, get to know your local law enforcement officers.  It is much more difficult for DHS to brainwash officers against people they personally know.  When you are viewed as a neighbor, friend or fellow Christian, these officers are far less likely to submit your name to a terrorist watch list or view you as a potential terrorist.  We want local officers to be personally offended when they hear members of their community slandered in such ways.

Third, always be friendly and courteous when speaking to your local officers.  Even if that officer has fallen for this propaganda, be sure not to resemble the negative stereotypes labeled to us.  After the fifth, sixth or maybe tenth time he deals with one of us, he or she may come to realize we are of no threat to law enforcement or anyone for that matter.  Eventually, the officer may attend one of these training sessions, hear the propaganda and say to himself, “This isn’t true, I’ve dealt with many people like this, they are God-fearing, liberty loving Americans, they are not the enemy!”

?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Yeah, uhh huh.

I work smack in the middle of tardtown, the heart of Keith (Koran) Ellison's district, and even back home in my north suburban neighborhood there are some pockets of idiocy.  Some really make it easy by leaving their Wellstone(d) stickers on their cars or leaving their campaign signs out from God knows how many elections ago, or they actually come up to you and basically announce they are a moron.  Smile, nod, "have a nice day".  (Mental note, mark that tard!)  Anyway, I don't go out of my way to piss anybody off or draw attention to myself, well, usually! 

I wear their allegation of being a domestic terrorist as a badge of honor on me, for it is a stain of dishonor on them.

I find it disturbing that more LEO's don't come out and denounce this effrontery upon law abiding citizens, maybe privately they do and they know who the real enemies of freedom are...but part of me fears the answer they may give, so maybe I don't want to know...perhaps I am better off assuming the worst so as to not be surprised later...

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

Cops in an unmarked car making obscene gestures while using their vehicle as a weapon toward another then curbing the vehicle then approaching the vehicle with rifles, rifles drawn and killing the driver.  

So, they drive around NY in unmarked cars, rifles at the ready.
Sounds like an Al Capone movie.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/queens/queens_cop_kills_unarmed_driver_qCCu7n6WNQgHyfhmecjz4K0

DeFerrari, 36, said the cops jumped out with “rifles drawn,’’ and, as they ordered, “Put your hands up,’’ Hamdy fired.

DeFerrari said of the pursuit, “I honestly thought it was an armored car . . . At no time did they specify that they were police.

“You wouldn’t expect your police officers . . . to be sticking their middle finger and yelling obscenities.”

When Hamdy fired, “I heard [Polanco] gasp. He just looked at me,” she said.

She said she told her friend’s mother, “I want you to know the truth. I was the last friendly face he saw as he was being dragged out like a dog.’’ When they were dragging him out,’’ she said, he was still alive. “He was looking at me.’’

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
I saw lots of "Anarchists' Cookbooks" in the early '70s.
Often wish I had one

(Does this make me a domestic terrorist,too?)