Author Topic: Ammo Shortages  (Read 45212 times)

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: Ammo Shortages
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 06:47:44 PM »

Just for fun, I stopped into Dick's on the way home to see if they had any .22LR for you in my neck of the forest(S. PA and N. MD) but drew a blank. Still on website for in store purchasing but the wipes don't have any. "Oh we haven't had any for two months.", the clerk said.

Let me tell you, with the shelves being damn near empty, I'm not looking to buy anything from them for a long time.

I'd love to find a number of ANYTHING to hoard.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Magnum

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 07:44:22 PM »
Thanks guys I really appreciate everyone helping out. I will be fine with the .22 ammo I have for awhile.

I am just getting more and more ticked by the minute on what is happening to our country. Guns, debt, hagel fiasco, women in the military, sequester, total disregard for the Constitution....... you know the list goes on and on. I just went off on the wifey about something stupid that I would have never gotten mad at before. Part of the problem too as a guy when stuff breaks I fix it or have somebody help me who can. But now I am frustrated because I do not know what I can do at the moment to fix our country.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 07:48:08 PM by Magnum »
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your GOD will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 07:48:36 PM »
Thanks guys I really appreciate everyone helping out. I will be fine with the .22 ammo I have for awhile.

I am just getting more and more ticked by the minute on what is happening to our country. Guns, debt, hagel fiasco, women in the military, sequester, total disregard for the Constitution....... you know the list goes on and on. I just went off on the wifey about something stupid that I would have never gotten mad at before. Part of the problem too as a guy when stuff breaks I fix it or have somebody help me who can. But now I am frustrated because I do not know what I can do at the moment to fix our country.

Right there with you Magnum.
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 09:33:49 PM »

And it's pretty crowded. ::cool::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 09:44:32 PM »

And it's pretty crowded. ::cool::

Yes.  Tell a man, a real man, about a problem and he starts looking for a fix.  Not being able to find a fix is frustrating.  It's in the nature of Men to want to fix what's broken.  Men are not girlfriends who can, as job one, commiserate; men need to fix.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 09:50:12 PM »
And our frustration stems not from the fact that we can't fix this problem because we don't know how or what to do, it stems from the fact that we are actively prevented from fixing it.

That really seems to be the swan song of the West -- all these problems, almost all of them deliberate creations, and almost all of them not genuine problems in and of themselves so much as consequences of a larger problem. Just as one example, the Islamofascists. In its healthier days the West would have crushed them like cockroaches and not even batted an eye about it.

The West today is consumed with hand wringing and navel gazing. Very unmasculine.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 10:45:19 PM »
According to this video, CCI in Idaho makes 4 million rounds of 22LR per day (and this vid was posted in 2011 so who knows how many they are churning out now). Which begs the question: If one factory can crank out a minimum of 120 million rounds a month, where are they? You can't tell me that DHS is buying up rimfire.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 10:51:17 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 10:53:06 PM »
If I were to hazard a guess, I would say the brass is being diverted to production of centerfire cases.

- Yours Truly

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013, 11:25:19 PM »
If I were to hazard a guess, I would say the brass is being diverted to production of centerfire cases.

I am skeptical.

Brass is not all that rare a raw material. It is used in very large quantities in the plumbing industry for fixtures (faucets, etc.) and even things as mundane as pipe fittings. It is commonly used in the electrical industry, as well. It has to be something else.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 11:31:43 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2013, 12:14:59 AM »
Texas to Magpul: "Come on down"

Via Daily Caller: ...In a letter to Magpul founder and CEO Richard Fitzpatrick, [Governor] Perry touts Texas’s business climate, citing such things as “low taxes, a fair legal system, reasonable regulations, a well-trained and skilled workforce and unmatched transportation and communications infrastructures.”

Both Netanyahu and Rubio think it's a great idea.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2013, 12:23:37 AM »
What is your theory? I figure there's the following possibilities:

• Production is running at normal output and it is simply being bought up as fast as it can be made
  • Production is running at normal output and it is being hoarded somewhere, before it can reach the retail market
  • Production is running at reduced output, resulting in shortages

I suppose Occam would dictate that the first possibility requires the fewest assumptions, since we do know that demand is at historic levels. But it does seem hard to believe that there would be that much rimfire being bought. Maybe there is though? People are buying up pretty much anything that will go bang.

The reason I figured on it being something like reduced output due to resource reallocation is that they, like any good business, should have a very good idea of what product line is giving them the best yield for a given investment of resources. In the present climate stuff like 5.56 and 7.62 NATO are most in demand. So if they have these huge rolls of brass sheet that they stamp cases from, maybe take the rolls that would have been used to produce something moderately profitable and instead shift it to another product line that is currently three to four times as profitable as it was just a few months ago.

I dunno, it's all just idle speculation for me. Brass is a common commodity, but it is nevertheless 70% of the cost of a loaded round of ammunition. If it were me and my zero years of non-existent experience in the manufacturing business, I'd be maximizing the raw materials devoted to the most profitable product lines in as close to real-time as possible.

I know I never thought I'd see a scenario where even the ubiquitous .22 LR is cleaned off the shelves.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2013, 07:19:08 AM »
I tend to agree with Glock, 4 million rounds per day?  Where is it?

I scoured all online sources I know the other day - people have a lot of nothing and no firm timetable when more might be had.

?

If I were a seller of brass I sure as heck would want to divert as much as I could to ammo mfg's because if there is that much demand there that is where you can move the most product.

But I have not heard the Mfg's are increasing staff and running extra shifts or overtime.

There are a lot of disconnects here and we may not have all the information, so part of the questions to answer should include how good is our info and from whom is it coming?

Oh, and for the record, Glocks 2nd possibility makes my blood run cold!

PS for CO - Love the Bibi pic!   ::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Magnum

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2013, 06:06:08 PM »
And our frustration stems not from the fact that we can't fix this problem because we don't know how or what to do, it stems from the fact that we are actively prevented from fixing it.

That really seems to be the swan song of the West -- all these problems, almost all of them deliberate creations, and almost all of them not genuine problems in and of themselves so much as consequences of a larger problem. Just as one example, the Islamofascists. In its healthier days the West would have crushed them like cockroaches and not even batted an eye about it.

The West today is consumed with hand wringing and navel gazing. Very unmasculine.

Yes! This is what makes me the more frustrated knowing how to fix the problem(s) but not being allowed or as you aptly say prevented.

And thank-you Charles that picture of Bibi and Marco says alot; to me anyways. Coincidentally I am just watching a series on Netflix called Auschwitz Inside the Nazi state and it....... enrages me, sickens me yet makes me feel sad on how much Jews are hated. I will be the first to chastise liberal Jews and how much they anger me. They have abandoned the God of the Bible and replaced Him with their new god liberalism. However I will save this rant for another day.

The jury is still out for me on Marco but to see him with Bibi gives me hope........................
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 03:57:48 AM by Magnum »
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your GOD will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2013, 08:18:53 PM »
I tend to agree with Glock, 4 million rounds per day?  Where is it?

I scoured all online sources I know the other day - people have a lot of nothing and no firm timetable when more might be had.

?

If I were a seller of brass I sure as heck would want to divert as much as I could to ammo mfg's because if there is that much demand there that is where you can move the most product.

But I have not heard the Mfg's are increasing staff and running extra shifts or overtime.

There are a lot of disconnects here and we may not have all the information, so part of the questions to answer should include how good is our info and from whom is it coming?

Oh, and for the record, Glocks 2nd possibility makes my blood run cold!

PS for CO - Love the Bibi pic!   ::thumbsup::

Guye were forgetting how many people have gotten permits since Obama got electer.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2013, 09:59:02 AM »
It might just be that simple, and that everybody is hoarding.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2013, 10:36:06 AM »
Report: Ammo Prices Have Doubled Since December At ‘America’s Largest Gun Shop’

The price of his store’s ammunition has more than doubled since mid-December, says Larry Hyatt, owner of Hyatt Gun Shop in Charlotte, N.C., which bills itself “America’s Largest Gun Shop.”

I spoke to Mr. Hyatt today about the increase in the price of ammunition since mid-December (when the gun control debate began to heat up). Hyatt said that the ammo market is “very volatile” and that he “doesn’t know when the next shipment will be.”

His best seller right now is .22LR caliber. Gun owners like to shoot this caliber because it is typically a cheaper round and also optimal for target shooting, known as “plinking”

A box containing 500 rounds of .22LR was selling for approximately $20/box back in December. Today, Mr. Hyatt tells me he is selling the same box for $49. This represents a 145 percent increase in price.

Read more from this story HERE.

::hat-tip::  JoeMiller.us

ETA - being from Charlotte, I know Hyatt's shop well. It is something of a local institution. It is indeed a huge shop and has long been known as the biggest gun shop in North or South Carolina. I didn't know it was considered the largest in the country, but I could see it as a possibility.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2013, 10:55:01 AM »
Rationing.

We really are leaping back 70 years, aren't we?!

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2013, 12:02:04 PM »
As expected tons of comments at the CNS News link are bitching about price gouging. That's just one of my buttons that sets me off, when people go on these moronic populist rants about price gouging. It's uncanny how easy it is to goad the "inner collectivist" out of even supposedly conservative, free enterprise type people.

I remember back during Katrina and a few of the other hurricanes that impacted the Gulf, refineries were taken offline and it had a huge impact all the way up the eastern seaboard. There was virtually no gas to be found for over a week, and where it did exist there were lines 2 hours long. Yet people were griping up a storm about price gouging, the government setup hotlines to report "gougers", telling them they could not increase prices more than a certain % above the wholesale price and all this. Well I guess it made all those populist fools happy to ride by one empty station after another and at least not be visually assaulted by a sign showing prices above what they decree to be tolerable. They couldn't get gas, but at least no one else could either, so HA! Ivan's goat is dead!

Stupid bastards.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2013, 12:17:40 PM »
Like you said before, rather pay higher prices and be able to get what I need than have nothing.  Higher short term prices in an emergency like a hurricane etc tend to force people to scale down to what they need, not what they want.  Such self-rationing is a rational market response to shortages, but the asshats complaining about prices are OK with the government stepping in and setting prices and placing limits on resources?  People are nucking futs. 

And what did Pan's Gov do during weather events?  Oh yeah, suspend carry rights, right?

Government is the problem, people are too stupid to blame the real culprit.

::)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2013, 02:23:29 PM »
I have absolutely no idea what the answer is. To me it is utterly inexplicable that with demand as high as it is, supply isn't stepping up.

But nature abhors a vacuum so sooner or later that hole has to be filled.