Author Topic: Food inflation kept hidden in smaller packaging  (Read 67570 times)

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Food inflation kept hidden in smaller packaging
« Reply #140 on: October 21, 2012, 11:07:13 AM »
This may not be food inflation/smaller packaging per se, but it still got my attention -- in a negative way.

Saturday, I bought some Ball Park Angus hot dogs on sale for $3.99 (on friggin' sale, mind you).  I decided to look at the hot dog buns.  For a package of 8, maybe a pound, maybe 12 oz., the price was $3.69.  A package of hot dog buns is only $.30 cheaper than a pound of (supposed) meat!  Needless to say, now you know why I use one slice of bread for a hot dog bun, placing the dog at an angle and folding the bread over it, like a misshapen taco.  I am not going to pay that price for a special bread just to hold a hot dog.  Just won't do it.  Besides, I can use the bread for other things, and it was 'only' $2.50 for 24 oz.

Wow, I thought I was the only one who refused to pay that kinda price for friggin hot dog buns!

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #141 on: October 21, 2012, 06:09:51 PM »
This may not be food inflation/smaller packaging per se, but it still got my attention -- in a negative way.

Saturday, I bought some Ball Park Angus hot dogs on sale for $3.99 (on friggin' sale, mind you).  I decided to look at the hot dog buns.  For a package of 8, maybe a pound, maybe 12 oz., the price was $3.69.  A package of hot dog buns is only $.30 cheaper than a pound of (supposed) meat!  Needless to say, now you know why I use one slice of bread for a hot dog bun, placing the dog at an angle and folding the bread over it, like a misshapen taco.  I am not going to pay that price for a special bread just to hold a hot dog.  Just won't do it.  Besides, I can use the bread for other things, and it was 'only' $2.50 for 24 oz.

Wow, I thought I was the only one who refused to pay that kinda price for friggin hot dog buns!

You're not alone.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #142 on: October 21, 2012, 06:59:20 PM »
You guys can afford hotdogs?
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

RickZ

« Reply #143 on: October 22, 2012, 02:10:07 AM »

On sale only.  Like bacon.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #144 on: October 22, 2012, 07:09:59 AM »
Mmm!  Bacon!   ::whoohoo::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #145 on: October 22, 2012, 12:25:39 PM »

Bacon?! I remember bacon!

(barely)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #146 on: October 22, 2012, 08:09:34 PM »

Bacon?! I remember bacon!

(barely)

I wait for sales ans strike hard other than that I have learned to wait for it to go on sale and hopefully have coupons at hand.
 Filippo Mazzie

RickZ

« Reply #147 on: October 28, 2012, 10:03:06 AM »
Okay, bought a container of black peppercorns Friday.  I was running low, but not out, so I had the old container.  I last bought peppercorns, oh, it must be well over 2 years ago.  A 14 oz. container a few years back cost $4.99.  On Friday, the same brand and the same weight was $6.99, a whopping 40% increase for a non-perishable.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #148 on: October 28, 2012, 11:57:01 AM »
You ferreted out the hidden cost of Neo-Keynesian buggery, the FEMA camp will remedy such lawlessness.

:P
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #149 on: October 28, 2012, 02:47:22 PM »
I think Pan mentioned the pasta noodles awhile back but it still annoys me I can't always get a 16 oz bag. Yesterday, I picked up the penne bag and see it's 13.5 oz.  I did find some that were 16 oz but you have to spend 5 fricking minutes comparing unit prices on pasta.  They all used to be 16 oz and you just pick up the cheapest if you wanted.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #150 on: October 28, 2012, 03:11:42 PM »
AhA!  Unit pricing!

Another bugaboo of mine is Bounty paper towel unit pricing.  I get mine at BJ's, the big multipacks.  Bounty has five or six different types and conglomerations of paper towels -- regular, jumbo and select-a-size (half sheet) rolls, plain and printed = all different prices per unit (sheet) -- so I check the unit pricing for each.  The select-a-size is by far the cheapest per unit, but that's because the unit-pricing for them is by the half-sheet.

Then there are the sales on anything, when the posted unit price applies to the non-sale price, so I'm left doing the math in my head in order to figure out if the sale price is still a "bargain" when compared to other brands.

I really dislike shopping these days.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #151 on: October 28, 2012, 03:47:13 PM »

I reduce it to $ per sq ft.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #152 on: October 28, 2012, 03:50:02 PM »

I reduce it to $ per sq ft.

The unit pricing at least does some of the math work.  If I was to do it your way, every time I went to the store (because the prices keep going up) I may as well bring the pocket calculator.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #153 on: October 28, 2012, 04:10:07 PM »

Yeah, the ladies look at me with the calculator and give that "he's a newbie" smile.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #154 on: October 28, 2012, 04:13:05 PM »

Yeah, the ladies look at me with the calculator and give that "he's a newbie" smile.

I don't know what they're smiling about.  The prices keep changing, so it's a new round of time-consuming calculations every shopping trip.  What they, as "old-timers", figured out last time may not apply this time or the next.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #155 on: October 28, 2012, 08:01:16 PM »
AhA!  Unit pricing!

Another bugaboo of mine is Bounty paper towel unit pricing.  I get mine at BJ's, the big multipacks.  Bounty has five or six different types and conglomerations of paper towels -- regular, jumbo and select-a-size (half sheet) rolls, plain and printed = all different prices per unit (sheet) -- so I check the unit pricing for each.  The select-a-size is by far the cheapest per unit, but that's because the unit-pricing for them is by the half-sheet.

Then there are the sales on anything, when the posted unit price applies to the non-sale price, so I'm left doing the math in my head in order to figure out if the sale price is still a "bargain" when compared to other brands.

I really dislike shopping these days.

BJs takes coupons. But the last load of paper towels I bought were at local drug store because the gave me a 10 dollar gift card if I bout 30.bucks worth of certain items,so I bough paper towels and then I for a coupn that doubled my discounts so my 10 bucks turned into 20 and I cleaned up.

It will be a cold day in hell before that happpens again.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #156 on: August 08, 2013, 09:44:19 PM »
toilet paper!!!   ::outrage::

if I see one more package that says it's a "double roll" I may scream

if I divide that roll in half it will not be what I used to buy

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #157 on: August 09, 2013, 12:07:17 AM »

Johnsonville Brats:  five for the price of six, formerly.

Bacon's almost five bucks per pound except when it's on sale, and for the really cheap stuff that disappears into mostly grease when cooked.  And I save the bacon grease anyway.

The season for eggs is good.  I've a friend who supplies fresh brown eggs for $3 per 18 count while the laying is good -- and the eggs are goooood -- and I give him all the kitchen refuse -- vegetable rottens/peelings -- that I accumulate; what one would normally compost.  Win-win.

RickZ

« Reply #158 on: November 20, 2013, 09:19:54 AM »
Bought a box of Ritz crackers this morning.  The one pound box has now shrunk to 13.7 oz.

Offline Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #159 on: November 20, 2013, 09:24:47 AM »

That's because people use more than a square per day. That will change when the ACA is fully implemented.
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.