Author Topic: Food inflation kept hidden in smaller packaging  (Read 67616 times)

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
Re: Food inflation kept hidden in smaller packaging
« Reply #160 on: November 20, 2013, 10:34:39 AM »
You guys can afford hotdogs?

Yeah, once in a while. We like only Hebrew National hot dogs, though.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline oldcoastie6468

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #161 on: November 20, 2013, 10:36:27 AM »

I reduce it to $ per sq ft.

The unit pricing at least does some of the math work.  If I was to do it your way, every time I went to the store (because the prices keep going up) I may as well bring the pocket calculator.

Many cell phones, if you have one, also contain calculators.
U.S. Coast Guard veteran, 1964-1968

Will Rogers never met Barack Obama. He would not like Obama.

I hate liberals. Liberalism is a disease that causes severe brain damage after it tries to suck knowledge and history out of yours.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #162 on: November 20, 2013, 11:35:56 AM »
toilet paper!!!   ::outrage::

if I see one more package that says it's a "double roll" I may scream

if I divide that roll in half it will not be what I used to buy

That's because people use more than a square per day. That will change when the ACA is fully implemented.

free bidets for everyone!

The bidet populates bathrooms all over Asia, South America and Europe but has mostly been a source of bad jokes in the U.S. Now, increased demand spurred by foreigners planting roots is breaking down the barrier for the toilet-like fixture.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #163 on: November 20, 2013, 11:54:06 AM »
It's like the three shells...I don't know how that works, pretty sure I don't need to...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #164 on: November 20, 2013, 02:32:54 PM »
toilet paper!!!   ::outrage::

if I see one more package that says it's a "double roll" I may scream

if I divide that roll in half it will not be what I used to buy

That's because people use more than a square per day. That will change when the ACA is fully implemented.

free bidets for everyone!

The bidet populates bathrooms all over Asia, South America and Europe but has mostly been a source of bad jokes in the U.S. Now, increased demand spurred by foreigners planting roots is breaking down the barrier for the toilet-like fixture.

I wouldn't mind having one.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 07:20:31 PM by Pandora »
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #165 on: November 20, 2013, 07:18:46 PM »
  We had one for 25 years in Conn. and I freaking forgot to put on in this house and all I hear is how could you forget it. The Mrs. loved it  and I screwed up.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #166 on: April 09, 2014, 06:39:44 AM »
Thinning herds I can buy...there has been a not too publicized rash of diseases go through many farm animals these past several years...but the rest of the blame is heaped on McDonalds and Burger King et al?

I smell something vile there...smells like...a load of fresh Obama!

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-beef-prices-20140406,0,2966247.story#axzz2yO7fWTgS

Well, thanks to illegal Fedcoat confiscation though some of the effects of this shortage will be lessened...

http://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php?topic=11095.new#new
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 06:53:17 AM by Libertas »

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #167 on: April 09, 2014, 12:31:13 PM »
http://www.omaha.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20140312/MONEY/140319648

"Bacon, pork chop prices could rise 25 percent as virus kills pigs."
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #168 on: April 09, 2014, 01:12:00 PM »
I love bacon!!!  I better hoard some hog!!!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #169 on: April 11, 2014, 07:22:42 AM »
Cattle herds decline for 7th straight year due to the drought, pig virus (mentioned by Pan above) decimating hog populations...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-04-10/why-meat-prices-are-going-continue-soaring-foreseeable-future

...the drought hyperbole aside (nobody can know how long or short a drought may be, and if the El Nino is in fact rising, part of the effects can include good and bad for different regions, but generally more rain and flooding and such for south and west, so the good and bad news may rotate to new sectors by next season...but higher meat prices are to be expected for the foreseeable future...

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #170 on: April 11, 2014, 07:46:20 AM »
  Part of the problem with hogs is that states like N.C. will not issue any more permits for what they call hog barns.I sold a woman a truck that has an interest in two hog barn in N.C. and is paid by Smithfield to raise pigs for them and as the limits on growing operations are imposed their fee for growing hogs goes up as there is more demand by a growing population increases.  The simple math is more demand less supply and prices go up and add to that sickness and you have a perfect storm for prices going up.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #171 on: April 11, 2014, 08:03:33 AM »
I think that happens in Iowa and other places too, and I think the eco-nuts drive a lot of this nonesense, their blather about feedlots and waste and precious Gaia and all that rot, so yeah, I think as usual a lot of blame can be heaped on libiot heads!

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #172 on: April 12, 2014, 04:54:17 PM »
Eggs in south central PA went up $.30 from last week and $.50 from the first of the year. Yeah, that economic policy is working great. How's it working for you?
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #173 on: April 13, 2014, 01:52:22 PM »
Eggs in south central PA went up $.30 from last week and $.50 from the first of the year. Yeah, that economic policy is working great. How's it working for you?

As my husband is still unemployed and my oldest is facing the same in a few months, not so hot.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #174 on: April 14, 2014, 07:35:45 AM »
Still in our prayers LV!   ::praying::

We all could definitely use deliverance from the evil in our midst, that's for sure!  But the news sure isn't trending the right way...

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #175 on: April 14, 2014, 11:09:18 AM »
  Sorry to hear this LV. But keep the faith and it will all work out.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #176 on: April 14, 2014, 11:32:51 AM »
thank you

His latest problem he's running into is being interviewed by (HR) people way younger than him who don't know the industry. So he answers questions with info on his experience and the interviewers don't know what he's talking about. The last guy to interview kept saying "awesome" every third sentence yet the reason he gave my husband's headhunter for not pursuing him further was that dh "lacked experience".  !!!  Dh said that's all he talked about even though the guy's questions were never directly about his work experience. I told dh maybe he should throw a few awesome in there every so often. haha   

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #177 on: April 14, 2014, 12:13:19 PM »
 ::facepalm::

Ufda...it's frustrating when you are stuck with the HR types...best thing you can do is try to spin your experience to their knowledge level, maybe un-techno the language, get the concept that I can do A, B and C across with minimum of description, that kind of thing...once you get to the actual department manager the detail and lingo will make sense to them...HR types are merely first level screeners and not very good at that especially in any kind of detailed professional or technical function...

On the plus side often times it is easier to bamboozle those types with buzzwords and other catch-phrases they are clued into...paradim, change agent, facilitator...stuff like that...

Unleash the babble on the HR clown and unleash the experience on the hiring manager...that's what I learned anyway.  Overall I've been able to size people up pretty quickly, certain questions they ask (scripted or not) indicate who you are dealing with, as is their interest in interviewing you, how attentive they are to your responses.

Oh, another thing is to not ramble...I used the term babble above but in reference to content not volume...often times letting silence take its course is difficult for people to deal with, they feel like they have to say something...anything...like the next utterance will be the deal clincher that moves them on or secures the spot.  Firm, confident concise answer and sitting comfortably in silence while you await the next exchange is a valuable skill to develop.

Hope things break for the better soon, LV!

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #178 on: April 14, 2014, 02:15:29 PM »
thank you

His latest problem he's running into is being interviewed by (HR) people way younger than him who don't know the industry. So he answers questions with info on his experience and the interviewers don't know what he's talking about. The last guy to interview kept saying "awesome" every third sentence yet the reason he gave my husband's headhunter for not pursuing him further was that dh "lacked experience".  !!!  Dh said that's all he talked about even though the guy's questions were never directly about his work experience. I told dh maybe he should throw a few awesome in there every so often. haha   

The values system that built this nation has collapsed. People no longer value what we once took for granted as "good". Things like having a work ethic and a personal sense of accomplishment.

What is valued these days is 1. conformity. Not whether you have tats or a nose ring but conformity of thought. 2. Team-player. Hand in hand with a general sense of group-think is the willingness to place your own personal ambitions second to the team (and especially the team-leader).

They don't want to know what you know; they don't want to know what you've accomplished. They want to know that you'll get along and go along.

Just remember - style over substance and you'll never go wrong! (unless you meet somebody old-school like me ;')

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #179 on: April 14, 2014, 04:09:14 PM »
Thanks for the input. I think it is a struggle for him to interview with HR initially. It seems more places around here are using HR as the initial screener for the high level jobs my dh is looking for. It used not to be like that. He'd interview maybe one level below or even with someone above for the initial interview and then get a call for an all-day. And HR was usually the last interview of the all-day.

I think his interview skills are good. And he also sought the assistance of an interview coach last year to polish them. I think he lacks the ability to connect to these types of folks with the right buzzwords. These interviewers are looking for someone they like and feel connected to. I'm afraid he's coming across more grandpa than buddy.

I know what he needs to do to make that connection and I hope I can get him to take my suggestions. But you men  ::lalanotlistening::   ::laughonfloor::