Author Topic: Food inflation kept hidden in smaller packaging  (Read 67728 times)

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Food inflation kept hidden in smaller packaging
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2011, 05:33:21 AM »
Was out & about with my brother yesterday and part of our mission was to find artificial sweetener for our mom. No luck. We tried seven different grocery stores and three drug stores.

Our discussion revealed the mutual recognition that some long familiar items are simply disappearing off the shelves. Condiments, snacks, condensed broths/flavorings, cleansers and kitchen products, even a deodorant that I've used for a dozen years. Vanished without warning, without a trace, and without explanation. When I've approached store managers "Did we find everything we were looking for today?" "No, 'we' didn't!") they strike a reflective pose and wonder (aloud) "Perhaps the manufacturer pulled it due to low sales"

Now I'm not suggesting any sort of conspiracy but that was pure bullspit. In many cases it is products that have held prominence in the marketplace going back generations.

So I'm going back to my SHTF lists and reviewing for additions of things that may not be indispensable, but sure make the difference between living and merely surviving ;-)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2011, 08:15:59 AM »
Was out & about with my brother yesterday and part of our mission was to find artificial sweetener for our mom. No luck. We tried seven different grocery stores and three drug stores.

Our discussion revealed the mutual recognition that some long familiar items are simply disappearing off the shelves. Condiments, snacks, condensed broths/flavorings, cleansers and kitchen products, even a deodorant that I've used for a dozen years. Vanished without warning, without a trace, and without explanation. When I've approached store managers "Did we find everything we were looking for today?" "No, 'we' didn't!") they strike a reflective pose and wonder (aloud) "Perhaps the manufacturer pulled it due to low sales"

Now I'm not suggesting any sort of conspiracy but that was pure bullspit. In many cases it is products that have held prominence in the marketplace going back generations.

So I'm going back to my SHTF lists and reviewing for additions of things that may not be indispensable, but sure make the difference between living and merely surviving ;-)

I almost have to wonder if a lot of that stuff isn't being exported for higher profits.And at the same time create a shortage so they can raise prices here.I can see one thing being scarce that might happen but for several items at a time is a little suspect.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2011, 09:52:03 AM »

I've noticed this as well and not just with food/hygiene items (the soap we used is just not available anymore).  It's everything

We were looking to replace the front-porch chairs, the kind that are made with padded fabric on a metal folding frame with arms.  Once upon a time, they could be found in a vast variety of colors and patterns.  Now, they're tan or brown -- if you can find them -- and mostly come in a set with a table.  WTF?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2011, 11:00:16 AM »

I've noticed this as well and not just with food/hygiene items (the soap we used is just not available anymore).  It's everything

We were looking to replace the front-porch chairs, the kind that are made with padded fabric on a metal folding frame with arms.  Once upon a time, they could be found in a vast variety of colors and patterns.  Now, they're tan or brown -- if you can find them -- and mostly come in a set with a table.  WTF?

There are lot of things that you aren't going to be able to get any more. The chair thing is almost the old you can have any color you wan't so log as it's black. The companies are starting to limit choices so the retailers don't have to carry as much.

People are getting pushed in directions that they have never had to go before.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2011, 11:24:03 AM »
People are getting pushed in directions that they have never had to go before.

In some respects, I am feeling pushed; in others, I feel restricted.

I understand the point of "just in time" stocking/ordering system -- so merchandise doesn't need warehousing and accounting for -- but I don't get the point of stocking a dozen tan chairs when the retailer can show six of them and six of other colors/patterns.  Somebody decided tan was good enough and if I wanted a chair, I could just take that or nothing, and that pisses me off.

Did the entire world's manufacturers decide tan was fine and that was it?  If my internet searches offer any clue, I'd have to say so, but I just don't get it.

There used to be three dozen different soaps from which to choose.  Now, there's a handful.  I imagine much of this comes from "mergers and acquisitions" of smaller companies absorbed into conglomerates, but I don't understand the restriction of choice, and I definitely don't understand why I'm supposed to be satisfied instead with "showering systems" which consist of a scrubbie and a liquid soap.

I am unable to find a decent hairbrush -- they're all made of that plastic crap, and mostly by the same company.  So what happened?  All the hair-brush makers suddenly found brushes were not profitable and went out of business?

I know much of what's sold comes from China, but why don't I see products from other places as well?  Nobody else in any other country manufactures anything?  I'm willing to pay more for a quality item, I just don't often see one available.

I feel herded.  I don't like it.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2011, 11:25:54 AM »
Hey, we have it in black and white.....If you wanted color, you should have purchased during the previous administration."
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2011, 11:45:38 AM »
Hey, we have it in black and white.....If you wanted color, you should have purchased during the previous administration."

This was happening during the previous administration as well.  It's escalated to the point of noticeable now.

To clarify my previous plaint of "I don't get it", I do.  We're being Argentina'd, I suspect.

I've read a good deal of what an Argentinian, Farfel, has written about what happened there and from my observations, I see it here as well.  One thing in particular stands out; most women's lipsticks and cologne just disappeared from the market there because Argentinian money was worthless.  His advice was to purchase of few of these items for barter -- with bureaucrats in particular -- before they became unavailable.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2011, 12:00:05 PM »

It's a way to avoid increasing manufacturing cost so as not to raise the price.  To to the majority of people and the bean counters it masks inflation, company profits remain, sales continue, quality is not sacrificed, these are the smallest ripples of inflation.

Edit for clarification.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 12:02:50 PM by Charles Oakwood »

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2011, 12:11:17 PM »
I just this minute got back from an emergency run to the store to find out that Ronzony now packs only 12 onces in the bow tie pasta boxes. I bought them today but dam a full 1/4 pound removed. I'll be buying something else from now on.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2011, 12:44:29 PM »
Anyone notice large air holes in the loaves of bread lately ? I'm not kidding . I've bought loaves of bread lately from completely different bakeries wherein up to four or five slices will have silver dollar sized air holes ! Although they don't note a different net wt. on the bag .

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2011, 02:01:03 PM »
Smaller packages....less choice....Inflation isn't far behind.....I mean, it's actually here, but inflation by gov't measuring practices.

No one wants inventory in todays hope and change climate. Everyone is streamlining product. Older, even more established product in many cases is less profitable. Expansion of product is in the generic fields. Less people with extra income (No pelosi, gov't checks do not keep the country running) equates to lesser brand buying. More price conscience shopping. More private (and more profitable) label sales. Less speciality product and stores....More general merchandise operations.

We are being assimilated. Resistance is futile.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

RickZ

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2011, 03:32:33 PM »
Anyone notice large air holes in the loaves of bread lately ? I'm not kidding . I've bought loaves of bread lately from completely different bakeries wherein up to four or five slices will have silver dollar sized air holes ! Although they don't note a different net wt. on the bag .

Now that you mention it, yeah, I've seen that, too.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2011, 05:30:15 PM »
I cannot find buttermilk anymore. I guess the health nazis got rid of that. I like to soak okra and squash in it before breading. I guess pretty soon the breading will be gone too, since frying food will be a felony.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2011, 05:38:22 PM »
I was worried I wasn't going to be able to find egg-nog around Christmas time.  It didn't show up in the stores until a week before here and, as I buy it every year, that was unusual.

Guess I'll have to learn how to make my own.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2011, 02:38:31 AM »
Gunsmith brought home a Mrs. Smith Apple Pie today.  They've changed their procedure.  Now, it comes "pre-baked".  Oh! happy days!  If you want, you can either stick in the oven for half an hour right out of the freezer, or let it simply defrost and it's ready to eat.

Mrs. Smith's was the best for ready-made apple pie, so this may prove to be a disappointment.  We'll see.

Haven't checked the sizing either.

What the hell is the matter with people that they can't wait a stinkin' 60 minutes for a pie?

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2011, 08:14:27 AM »
Gunsmith brought home a Mrs. Smith Apple Pie today.  They've changed their procedure.  Now, it comes "pre-baked".  Oh! happy days!  If you want, you can either stick in the oven for half an hour right out of the freezer, or let it simply defrost and it's ready to eat.

Mrs. Smith's was the best for ready-made apple pie, so this may prove to be a disappointment.  We'll see.

What the hell is the matter with people that they can't wait a stinkin' 60 minutes for a pie?

I love the smell in the house while it bakes.
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2011, 10:51:46 AM »

Avoids litigation caused from eating undercooked food.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2011, 10:52:02 AM »

In my case I can't bake for squat so I don't have to wait, I just go the Baker's Square!

;D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2011, 07:46:39 PM »
Keebler Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies were "reduced" at Food Lion today, from a 1 lb. 2 oz. package to a 14.2 oz package for $2.79, unless you have the "card"; then they'll be $2 for however long the special lasts.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2011, 09:20:51 PM »
Keebler Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies were "reduced" at Food Lion today, from a 1 lb. 2 oz. package to a 14.2 oz package for $2.79, unless you have the "card"; then they'll be $2 for however long the special lasts.

Time to start baking at home.That's a shame because I have a weakness for them.
 Filippo Mazzie