Author Topic: Food inflation kept hidden in smaller packaging  (Read 67785 times)

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Food inflation kept hidden in smaller packaging
« Reply #200 on: July 30, 2014, 08:41:42 PM »
  Just spotted a sale on Angus choice New York strip steak for 5.99 a pound but I have to buy the whole piece avg. 12/14 lbs. Cut to order for free.  I'm in for a couple of them. Thank god for vacuum packers.

This is especially good in view of a story I just saw today:

Cargill to close beef plant, cites cattle shortage

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CARGILL_BEEF_PLANT?SITE=MYPSP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-07-30-16-14-13

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #201 on: July 30, 2014, 08:44:33 PM »
Yep, saw that.  That many pennies less to make the product.  Think the price will come down correspondingly?  Nah.

We've been recycling the tubes.  I stuff the paper (from the individually-wrapped rolls) into the tube and save for lighting fires in the winter or put them in the "other paper" recycling bin.

I visited one of our branch offices today. In the breakroom I saw a large bag of trash (paper products). There was a sign on it urging anyone to take it home and mix it with their "recyclables".

Hell, I do exactly the opposite (take my trash to work to get rid of it)!

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #202 on: July 30, 2014, 08:49:05 PM »
  Just spotted a sale on Angus choice New York strip steak for 5.99 a pound but I have to buy the whole piece avg. 12/14 lbs. Cut to order for free.  I'm in for a couple of them. Thank god for vacuum packers.

This is especially good in view of a story I just saw today:

Cargill to close beef plant, cites cattle shortage

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CARGILL_BEEF_PLANT?SITE=MYPSP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-07-30-16-14-13

I must have hit on a loss leader which is just fine with me.Being just the two of us in the house I can put up around 24 meals if I get two 12 pounders but I'm going for more.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #203 on: August 07, 2014, 08:49:27 AM »
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-08-06/inflation-watch-incredible-shrinking-coke-can

::facepalm::

I switched to cheaper full-sized cans of Shasta cola, I need caffeine somehow, and don't like coffee or tea much...and Coke and their halal crap and tiny house/tiny can can KMA!

::mooning::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #204 on: September 08, 2014, 08:39:20 PM »
Just read a report on Drudge about milk being up 27% this year!

Sorry I cannot link (haven't figured out how to do that with this little tablet).

But the Feds say all is well, inflation is a myth...

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #205 on: March 19, 2021, 08:59:07 AM »
I hear chatter that real inflation is about to ripple through globe, driven more by drought issues than helicopter money...so...might want to top off what you can while you can...

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #206 on: March 19, 2021, 01:25:20 PM »

The PhD economist Michael Hudson noted that the helicopters only drop money over Wall St. He grew up some in Mpls. He calls himself a classical economist. He has an interesting take on the finance sector, saying it is extractive and should not be considered as part of the real economy or the GDP. He says classical economists did not consider it part of the real economy.

He is not a nut job and used to work for major banks. He is the god son of Leon Trotsky. His dad spent time in federal prison for sedition long ago. It is not often I come across a totally new area of thought.

https://youtu.be/hH9pzzIIEj4
Michael Hudson - Life and Thought 20180507
When the law becomes a ruse, lawlessness becomes legitimate. -unknown

Online patentlymn

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #207 on: July 12, 2021, 05:36:12 PM »

I noticed two things recently.
i used to buy a premade Cobb salad at Walmart. They shrunk them recently and put the fixings in a tray in the top, with less fixings than before. I mean the cheese, meat, eggs.
Today I bought a Southwest Chicken Salad at Wendys. First time in a long time. It shrunk.

The most obvious food price increase has been canned soup in the same sized cans.
When the law becomes a ruse, lawlessness becomes legitimate. -unknown

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #208 on: July 12, 2021, 06:02:36 PM »
$6.49 for 90% hamburger at the local Target.  I think the 70% crap was even $4.99 and my usual 85% was $5.99.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #209 on: July 13, 2021, 04:44:37 AM »
I started this thread in 2011 -- imagine! -- and things have gotten worse since then, ten years ago.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #210 on: July 13, 2021, 08:25:46 AM »
Yes, the shrinkage issue has been a mainstay method of attempting to hide inflation for sometime and really began to bloom under Obamao (may he soon rot in Hell!)...it's just getting more ridonkulus...and prices are more in goods than services...

https://www.zerohedge.com/economics/transitory-us-core-consumer-prices-are-rising-fastest-pace-30-years

...heh, "transitory"...no, what is truly "transitory" is a serf and their money!

And about those autos...used almost have to be considered their own segment as they are only linked to prices of new cars...if new too high people look used...simple as that.  Unless the used inventory gets decimated by Obamao-style cash-for-clunkers schemes that merely deplete that inventory in an effort to steer them to new.  But I want to see if the heard about chip catch up having an impact on new cars...could be a glut of current production year compressing into new model year...making to former possible bargain opportunities for buyers.  If that happens I might be shopping.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #211 on: July 13, 2021, 09:17:47 AM »
$6.49 for 90% hamburger at the local Target.  I think the 70% crap was even $4.99 and my usual 85% was $5.99.

We have been going in with a group of friends to buy "meat on the hoof"  -  You basically buy the cow from the rancher,  someone - either that rancher or you - then takes it to get processed (  our rancher does it)  - Then you go pick up the meat and pay the processing cost. We paid about $5.80/lbs.  But that is for a sh*t ton of hamburger, rib roast, t-bones, etc.  Some of the individual cuts were going for $15/lbs at the local Costco.  SO pay a little more for the hamburger perhaps ( and we know where our meat has been)  and WAAAAY less for Steaks, Roasts, Prime Rib  and so forth

We have found that a quarter of a cow  will basically last a year for a family of 4 - but your mileage may vary.  If you do half a cow you may have some meat that stays in the freezer for two years , but then you can know how much to buy the next time.  The key to it is to never buy meat at the store, but to  go hunt the freezer..

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #212 on: July 13, 2021, 12:58:15 PM »
Provided it's been wrapped very well, there's nothing wrong with two-year old meat from the freezer.  Very little I've ever done properly shows freezer burn.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #213 on: July 13, 2021, 03:36:17 PM »
All thoughts I had of getting a freezer died with our 11 day power outage, last year.  I don't eat that much beef, anymore, anyway.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #214 on: July 13, 2021, 03:39:23 PM »
As for cars, I found this to be a great time to correct a mistake I made 3 years ago buy buying an Accord instead of a small SUV.  The value of my Accord was vastly inflated and I got $1500 off the sticker on the Rogue.

https://www.tiltonjaxnissan.com/Used-2018-Honda-AccordSedan-1HGCV1F51JA156861

And I did it at perfect time as they've already lowered it a thousand.  I paid 29 even for this, three years ago.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #215 on: July 13, 2021, 04:41:15 PM »
I bought a brand new Accord back in '89 late in the '90 production year and got a deal, my first new car...and last time I owned a 4 cylinder...good car, standard trans was smooth, put a lot of miles on it...but I don't get less than 6 cylinders now...but the Rogue is good, lot of people have them in these parts and I've had them for loaners.  Sister has a new Jeep fully decked out, nice...and the 4 is turbo, if I ever did get a 4 would have to be turbo.

I may be getting a new position for a company nearer the lake, good Lord willing and the interviews go well...so may be in the market this fall.  Would like to flash my ass to these cities and enjoy good country living.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #216 on: July 13, 2021, 07:10:30 PM »
All thoughts I had of getting a freezer died with our 11 day power outage, last year.  I don't eat that much beef, anymore, anyway.

That is what the Solar is for. Or at least a generator.. but solar. No gas and the freezer keeps running. You can freeze vegies too -  I think it would be a mistake not to stock up on something

Offline Syzygy

« Reply #217 on: March 17, 2022, 01:28:13 PM »
This is really nothing new,  as food manufacturers have had the luxury of doing this for quite some time.  I remember back in the late seventies,  when inflation was quite high,  reading a book on the subject where the author pointed this out.  E.g.,  Hersey's would reduce the size of their chocolate bars by as little as a tenth of an ounce,  or tenths of an ounce (even today,  the last time I looked,  they give the net wt. in ounces and hundreths of ounces --easier to manipulate the size that way without detection).
In fact, it was candy bars that signaled to me that inflation was finally in check back then,  when I saw that almost all on display offered "10% more," at the same price. 
Then you have those producers who never go back to the original size,  like coffee,  which used to be sold by the pound (16 oz.).  Sometime in the seventies,  they started selling it in 13 oz packages without a commensurate reduction in price.  And they tried to sell us on the idea that you would still get the same amount of coffee from the 13 oz. package as you did from the pound package,  which was a lie.
Most recently,  sugar,  which used to be sold in 5 lb. packages,  is now sold in 4 lb.packages (a 20% reduction of product) with little or no reduction in price. 
Bacon,  traditionally packaged by the pound,  is now offered in 12 oz packages.  If you see a sale price on bacon,  you must make sure it is by the pound to know if it really is an honest-to-goodness sale or not. 
Jelly has recently made the move -- from 32 oz. jars to now only 30 oz.
I'm expecting flour to go to 4 lb. packages shortly,  then they will have hit my breakfast,  big time (biscuits,  bacon,  and jelly).   ::pullhair::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #218 on: March 17, 2022, 02:07:18 PM »
There was an article just the other day documenting the number of chips Dorito is removing from the bags of.

Btw, 16oz cans went to 14 1/2 a few *years* ago

Online paulh

• Established Member
« Reply #219 on: March 17, 2022, 02:16:29 PM »
My Bud is still 12 oz ::whoohoo::