Topics > Economy

Food inflation kept hidden in smaller packaging

<< < (2/48) > >>

LadyVirginia:

--- Quote from: John Florida on March 30, 2011, 05:23:00 PM ---Ica scream is the one that pisses me off. It's hard to fing a true half gallon.Pasta you have to watch because the whole wheat stuff is only 13 oz in some brands.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, the ice cream got smaller and price went up. 

I bought a box of crackers the other day and my daughter pulled out the bag to open it.  It looked half empty, checked the box for the weight and decided I'm not buying those any more. I've made my own before I guess i can do that again.

Pandora:
At least when Breyer's shrunk the ice cream volume, there was a discussion from/with them about it.  IIRC, they issued an explanation about volume vs price.

warpmine:
This is what the industry called "down sizing" began over a decade ago. A gallon of juice went to 96 oz and now to 89 oz. Ice Cream went from 64 to 56 to now 48 oz or six pints. Breakfast cereals  went from 14 to 12 to 10.5 to 9 oz which is only slightly larger than the one serving size mini boxes available in restaurants. Cranberry sauce went from 16 to 14 oz. The list goes on and on so what are we going to do abbout it. Me and the Mrs shop long and hard before the purchase and then when the deal arises then it's buy in quantity time. ::rant::

John Florida:

--- Quote from: warpmine on March 30, 2011, 10:18:31 PM ---This is what the industry called "down sizing" began over a decade ago. A gallon of juice went to 96 oz and now to 89 oz. Ice Cream went from 64 to 56 to now 48 oz or six pints. Breakfast cereals  went from 14 to 12 to 10.5 to 9 oz which is only slightly larger than the one serving size mini boxes available in restaurants. Cranberry sauce went from 16 to 14 oz. The list goes on and on so what are we going to do abbout it. Me and the Mrs shop long and hard before the purchase and then when the deal arises then it's buy in quantity time. ::rant::

--- End quote ---

That's the way we work it. Buy the basics and the rest is vulture shopping if the deal is there buy a bunch if it's something we'll use. And if there's no deal on what we want and it's not that important we wait it out. And watch the fliers from all the stores and work it out so if were in an area we stop and shop.

Hell I have 5 cases of tomatoes coming from Conn. that I'll pick up  when were in N.C.(outer banks) on vacation.  cases imported Italian tomatoes for a little less than a buck a can and those get added to the 5 cases I already have for rotation.

charlesoakwood:

--- Quote from: warpmine on March 30, 2011, 10:18:31 PM ---... Me and the Mrs shop long and hard before the purchase and then when the deal arises then it's buy in quantity time. ::rant::

--- End quote ---

If it's not on sale and a good buy it's a no purchase. There's other food in the pantry to eat. If they want me to buy sell it cheap.

Mr. Foodstore send that message to your lobbyist for me, thank you.

He knows I'm telling the truth because he has a record of my purchases.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version