Author Topic: Food inflation kept hidden in smaller packaging  (Read 67632 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Food inflation kept hidden in smaller packaging
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2011, 05:59:20 PM »
Lobster cakes size cut by 1/3 at the Lowes Food Deli.  I use them to stuff mushrooms.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2011, 08:32:58 PM »
I bought some Breyers Ice cream yesterday. I usually make my own ice cream so it has been a very long time (maybe 3 years) since I bought ice cream last. We wanted some for a party though and I didn't have time to make any so I just bought some. It used to be that you could by a half gallon for just under six bucks. Now you get a quarter gallon for just over 6 bucks. I would have passed on it and just not had ice cream but they were having a bogo sale on it so I ended up with the amount I was used to at just about the same price.

Still, that was a pretty amazing difference...
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2011, 01:06:49 PM »
Smaller grocery bags!

I prefer the brown paper grocery bags.  The plastic ones are just a pain.  Anyway, I realized the other day that several stores around here have switched to smaller paper bags.

It seems to me that even some of the plastic bags are smaller.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2011, 01:51:43 PM »
Smaller grocery bags!

I prefer the brown paper grocery bags.  The plastic ones are just a pain.  Anyway, I realized the other day that several stores around here have switched to smaller paper bags.

It seems to me that even some of the plastic bags are smaller.

That's something I've always thought illogical: what's the point of smaller bags when more need to be used in the end? 

Yes, the plastic bags are smaller; been that way around here for a while; too small for a regular size waste-paper basket -- the sides fall in.  I remember when the plastic-type first made their appearance; the things were almost indestructible.  The current ones develop holes on the bottom with almost anything heavier than bread.

I use my own, canvas mostly, and I've got two different sized insulated ones for cold/frozen stuff.  And I bag my own stuff so if the eggs get broken or the bread squashed, I've got myself to blame.

Gunsmith likes Cocoanut Chocolate-Chip cookies; the plastic tray they're arranged in has been enlarged to disguise the fact that the count is down and so is the size of the cookie.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2011, 05:09:29 PM »
I use my own, canvas mostly, and I've got two different sized insulated ones for cold/frozen stuff.  And I bag my own stuff so if the eggs get broken or the bread squashed, I've got myself to blame.

I used to use my own way back before it was politically correct.  I hated having all those store bags.  Now my family's larger and I defaulted to the store bags
rather than carry a bunch of canvas bags around. I use the paper bags for a lot of things around the house.

I like to bag my own stuff and try to unless I'm somewhere like Target or Walmart where it's more difficult to do.  At the grocery store I place my items on the conveyer with like items in the order I'd like them bagged.  Only ONE cashier in all the years I've done that has noticed.  She thanked me.  It would go faster if the cashier would bag in the order I have it but nnnooooooooo they have to slow everything down by moving stuff around and going out of their way to mess it all up.

My daughter wanted to know why I bother.  I can't help myself. I can't stick a jug of milk next to the eggs..that's asking for trouble.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2011, 07:12:27 PM »

I used to use my own way back before it was politically correct.  I hated having all those store bags.  Now my family's larger and I defaulted to the store bags
rather than carry a bunch of canvas bags around. I use the paper bags for a lot of things around the house.

I like to bag my own stuff and try to unless I'm somewhere like Target or Walmart where it's more difficult to do.  At the grocery store I place my items on the conveyer with like items in the order I'd like them bagged.  Only ONE cashier in all the years I've done that has noticed.  She thanked me.  It would go faster if the cashier would bag in the order I have it but nnnooooooooo they have to slow everything down by moving stuff around and going out of their way to mess it all up.

My daughter wanted to know why I bother.  I can't help myself. I can't stick a jug of milk next to the eggs..that's asking for trouble.

See, this is why we get along.  I do exactly the same thing and I load the cart in that order as well; heavy, bulky things first, more numerous small/fragile/lighter items last.

Gunsmith often bags while I load the conveyer when we shop together and he's got it down too, even though he still laughingly calls me "The Lone Arranger".

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
Well somebody has to take the blame.
 ::hysterical::
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

RickZ

« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2011, 10:43:27 PM »
Even with my miniscule shops, in comparison to those with families, I arrange on the conveyer.  Yep, heavy stuff at first, milk, juice, canned goods and the like.  Then the vegetables and assorted small other stuff.  Refrigerated forms its own section, meats, butter, yogurt, etc. Then eggs and bread.  I agree about the milk/egg problem, LV; the only thing I allow them to put with eggs is a loaf of bread on top of the carton.  Commissary shops as a kid taught me the basic lessons of arranging for packing to carry as well as having certain items together for easy shelving at home (be it refrigerator, freezer or nearby pantry).

I guess this is one of those d'oh! moments for me as I never considered NOT arranging grocery items on the conveyer.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2011, 10:54:45 PM »
I see.  We are the minority of "nut-jobs".  Unless others want to confess, in which case we may find we are in the majority of "what?!  you mean you don't?!"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2011, 11:10:07 PM »

The major problem with that is checkers
and sackers who can't get with the program.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2011, 11:34:33 PM »

The major problem with that is checkers
and sackers who can't get with the program.

What program?  This stuff is self-taught by practical thinkers, few of which abide in grocery checkout lines, and so this leaves out corporate and business concern-eds who are more worried by potential sexual harassment and racial discrimination complainants than broken-egg-ed customers.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #91 on: December 08, 2011, 12:03:05 AM »

OK. I don't understand what you said.
I was trying to say that I place items, in similar order
as y'all on the conveyor and they invariably screw it. 

I always place cold and frozen items together and at that time
make note to the checker and sacker that I want all cold items
together in plastic and the rest in paper.  That's not difficult is it?
Ha!

Offline Delnorin

• Free Speech While It Lasts
« Reply #92 on: December 08, 2011, 01:38:42 AM »
I see.  We are the minority of "nut-jobs".  Unless others want to confess, in which case we may find we are in the majority of "what?!  you mean you don't?!"

Oh yeah.. I totally do the arranging as well... I have the young kids move aside and I pack my own as well.  The only stickler is Walmart.. where the register person loads the bags because there are no counters on the exit side of the scanner.. just straight into the bags.. which blow.  5 plastic bags = 1 properly packed paper bag.

RickZ

« Reply #93 on: December 08, 2011, 07:10:29 AM »
I understand the allure of paper over plastic as it is a small but doable 'green' policy; I even have one of those canvas sacks with handles, which is only good enough for one meal shopping -- and no extras like paper towels.  Paper bags can also be used as a cooking vessel/kitchen utensil (baking chicken in an oven or filled with powdered sugar and shaken so the zeppolis can be properly coated) and plastic cannot, so there is that, too.  But, and this is a big but, being a full-time pedestrian, plastic bags with handles are the only way to go.  In fact, none of my neighborhood grocery stores ever has to bother asking 'Paper or plastic?' as there is only one choice.  Living alone creating little garbage and with a garbage chute being just down the hall, I re-use the plastic bags for garbage bags, saving a few bucks and 'recycling' at the same time, though I don't think that's what 'they' had in mind when they started pushing the concept of recycling.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #94 on: December 08, 2011, 07:35:42 AM »

OK. I don't understand what you said.
I was trying to say that I place items, in similar order
as y'all on the conveyor and they invariably screw it.

Oh, sorry; I was just riffing off what you said about getting "with the program" and off into my own disgust that the people who bag are no longer taught how to properly do so, as corporate HQ's focus is on other issues.

I always place cold and frozen items together and at that time
make note to the checker and sacker that I want all cold items
together in plastic and the rest in paper.  That's not difficult is it?
Ha!

Yep, that how we do it too, but I guess it is too difficult for some cashier folks to figure out by themselves.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2011, 07:42:59 AM »
We also arrange things on the conveyor according to a preferred system. Gallon milk jugs, large juice containers, and other heavy items like a sack o' 'taters, bag of apples, large peanut-butter, case of soda-pop/bottled water, etc - those all get placed in the cart in a way that they are easily accessible first when it's time to load the conveyor. Rule #1: No heavy stuff crushing other items when the conveyor crams things together.

Canned items are next onto the belt. Then boxed and bagged items, keeping frozen and refrigerated items together. Unpackaged produce, chips, eggs, and bread go on last.

We prefer to bag ourselves, as the baggers inevitably do it illogically. When we DO end up at a store with a bagger, pet peave: baggers leave as many things out of sacks as possible. Milk jugs can easily be packed two-to-a-bag, and the bag WON'T break unless you mishandle it. But they put the jugs in the cart solo and I have to take them out and bag them myself. 6-packs of Gatorade, or any container with a handle - they don't bag those either. I'm interested in as few trips from the Excursion as possible when unloading at home. 4 Gatorade 6-packs, 2 OJs, and 4 gallons of milk, can either be 10 separate items to wrestle with, or 5 bags. I prefer 5 bags. Bagger-boy doesn't see it that way.

We use a mixture of plastic and paper sacks, as both come in handy at home.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2011, 02:12:51 PM »
 ::danceban:: ::danceban:: ::danceban::

once again it's proven I'm hanging out with the right group

::grouphug::

nice to know I'm not the only one who sees the logic of loading the cart, conveyor and bags in the correct order

and I must admit to feeling a bit guilty when the cashier thanks me for bagging because I'm doing it because 1) she's too slow and 2) I want my stuff bagged properly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2011, 02:21:13 PM »
Yes, you are.

I look at being thanked for bagging as just one of life's little happy ironies.

She'd rather not do it and I'd rather she not do it; it's a win/win, really.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2011, 03:09:18 PM »
Yes, you are.

I look at being thanked for bagging as just one of life's little happy ironies.

She'd rather not do it and I'd rather she not do it; it's a win/win, really.

that it is!

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2012, 04:33:09 PM »
Have you noticed that soy is in virtually everything these days? Can't by any premixed foods because of it.

If only the producers of the staples we usually purchase would have stood their ground and just raised the prices instead of shrinking the container, people could have seen first hand at what was transpiring. The value of the almighty dollar is fictional at best and the people needed to see what was happening but instead the manufacturers just helped the government pull the wool over our eyes. ::outrage::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.