Author Topic: Food inflation kept hidden in smaller packaging  (Read 67702 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Food inflation kept hidden in smaller packaging
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2011, 09:48:28 PM »
Keebler Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies were "reduced" at Food Lion today, from a 1 lb. 2 oz. package to a 14.2 oz package for $2.79, unless you have the "card"; then they'll be $2 for however long the special lasts.

Time to start baking at home.That's a shame because I have a weakness for them.

Dang.  I didn't know that or I'd have brought you some.  No time like the present to get biiiiigggger.   ;D
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2011, 10:16:01 PM »
Keebler Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies were "reduced" at Food Lion today, from a 1 lb. 2 oz. package to a 14.2 oz package for $2.79, unless you have the "card"; then they'll be $2 for however long the special lasts.

Dang.  I didn't know that or I'd have brought you some.  No time like the present to get biiiiigggger.   ;D

Please we had prime rib tonight and Joe and I ate  what looked like what Fred Flinstone would have eaten.It's 11:15 P.M. and were still stuffed.I just love food and I can't say I'm ashamed of it.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2011, 10:23:09 PM »

Please we had prime rib tonight and Joe and I ate  what looked like what Fred Flinstone would have eaten.It's 11:15 P.M. and were still stuffed.I just love food and I can't say I'm ashamed of it.

Whup!  I hear that.

We had made-at-home grilled beef/deer cheeseburgers w/fries.  Not prime rib, but excellent nevertheless.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On another note, I was thinking earlier best to include cans various kinds of pie-filling in the hoard for a time when fruit may not be so easily had.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2011, 11:47:56 PM »

Whup!  I hear that.

We had made-at-home grilled beef/deer cheeseburgers w/fries.  Not prime rib, but excellent nevertheless.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On another note, I was thinking earlier best to include cans various kinds of pie-filling in the hoard for a time when fruit may not be so easily had.

You mean can your own in season fruit?
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2011, 11:53:31 PM »
Not specifically.  I really should look into canning what's available around here in season.  

I was thinking more of picking up several grocery-store cans of pumpkin, cherry, apple and whatever floats else yer boat for the hoard.

eta:  And I'm thinking we ought to stop calling such "the hoard".  That's what people who want to confiscate your stuff characterize it as.  It's "preps".

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2011, 11:14:44 AM »
And then there's the traditional sources of food inflation...

http://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php/topic,913.new.html#new
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2011, 06:42:50 AM »
I think this fits in perfectly with this thread!

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/record-number-people-say-they-are-paying-more-groceries-now-ever

93% feeling the pinch, that 7% must be wasting away in the waiting room...

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2011, 12:11:30 PM »
 ::cussing:: ::rant::Don't get me started, to late. Look at ice cream, smaller container but cost more. Laundry Detergent, smaller container but it cost more. The list goes on and on. Now, they will come up with economical jumbo size, and the original size will make a comeback, only cost more! ::bashing:: ::angry:: ::outrage::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2011, 12:13:58 PM »
::cussing:: ::rant::Don't get me started, to late. Look at ice cream, smaller container but cost more. Laundry Detergent, smaller container but it cost more. The list goes on and on. Now, they will come up with economical jumbo size, and the original size will make a comeback, only cost more! ::bashing:: ::angry:: ::outrage::

Remember when we used to say "a gallon of ice cream"?  Now, it comes in quarts.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2011, 12:34:19 PM »

Can sizing hit my neighborhood, diced tomatoes 10oz.  They're sneaky too, the cans are on sale and priced irresistibly low.  Next week they will be at regular price and the 15oz cans won't be there.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2011, 12:40:01 PM »
Progresso pulled the same nonsense months ago with their red and white clam sauces.

I can see why they don't really want to raise the price straight out, so they cut the quantity instead, but it's not only basically dishonest, I've got to buy two cans now instead one.

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2011, 01:55:59 PM »
Progresso pulled the same nonsense months ago with their red and white clam sauces.

I can see why they don't really want to raise the price straight out, so they cut the quantity instead, but it's not only basically dishonest, I've got to buy two cans now instead one.

I took Glenn Becks advise, stocked up starting last year. We have a years worth of food. Also enough bullets to defend it! Call me crazy but, I have a wonderful Son who is expecting a new Baby any minute. I owe them everything I can give them, till death!

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2011, 08:13:19 PM »

I took Glenn Becks advise, stocked up starting last year. We have a years worth of food. Also enough bullets to defend it! Call me crazy but, I have a wonderful Son who is expecting a new Baby any minute. I owe them everything I can give them, till death!

Preaching to the choir!! ::clapping::
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2011, 09:48:35 PM »

Preaching to the choir!! ::clapping::

Ah shucks! :-[

Offline Delnorin

• Free Speech While It Lasts
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2011, 06:25:25 AM »
My New Idea:

If my dollar buys 30% less than what it did 10 years ago... I think I'll just take 30% off the taxes I have to pay in this year.

Seems fair.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2011, 11:30:09 AM »
I haven't taken a tape measure to it, but our family favorite frozen pizza is Tombstone, and it sure as hell looks like they went from 12" to 11", but the price is the same.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Delnorin

• Free Speech While It Lasts
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2011, 07:17:22 AM »
Remember the 1970's and 80's videos of Soviet Union grocery stores?

Just wait.

As goes government, so follows the lives of the citizens.

Stay safe Comrades.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2011, 07:21:46 AM »
"Remember the 1970's and 80's videos of Soviet Union grocery stores?"

Empty shelves.

Oh, and don't forget the grains rotting in the fields, that's another hallmark of collectivist control.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2011, 01:34:49 PM »
I see the candy companies are advertising "the new minis!" (Reese's p-nut butter cups, for one) as though I'm supposed to believe teeny-tiny is somehow better.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2011, 02:25:59 PM »
I see the candy companies are advertising "the new minis!" (Reese's p-nut butter cups, for one) as though I'm supposed to believe teeny-tiny is somehow better.

I make homemade peanut butter cups and I make them as big as I want!   ::whoohoo::

You know what's odd?  The individual-sized packages for candy, Coke, etc are getting bigger but the packages/ bags of several servings are getting smaller.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."