Author Topic: Food inflation kept hidden in smaller packaging  (Read 68694 times)

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
Re: Food inflation kept hidden in smaller packaging
« Reply #120 on: June 08, 2012, 06:25:05 PM »
Since January I've noticed price jumps of 50 cents to a dollar at a time on items.  No few cents here and there.  A few months ago I went to buy a spice in jar that I buy fairly often for 2.99.  I'd bought it in December and discovered that in January it was now 3.99.  Then I noticed they had raised all their spices by a dollar.  Since then I've seen the same thing on a number of things I regularly purchase.

However, soda products like Pepsi and Coke seem to always be on sale at the stores I go to.  Corn syrup must still be cheap.

Corn syrup is delivered by rail car, which is still a considerably cheaper method of transport for bulk items like that (when convenient to a railway) than trucks (which can go anywhere, albeit with smaller loads).  And sodas aren't much more than syrup and water...so as long as corn syrup is relatively inexpensive...  And things that travel by truck are going to continue skyrocketing in price until the damage done by O!bamao is undone...which could be decades.

Corn syrup is also one of the items used as a "dough conditioner."  When making large batches of baked items like bread, some of the things we do by hand in our own kitchens don't scale particularly well, and kneading dough to the perfect plasticity is one of them.  So some of the ingredients have to be adjusted or something else used to compensate for the changes is scale.  What amazes me is that large scale producers are able to continue producing relatively stable products even though everything from the farm to the factory has changed tremendously in since WWII.
My doctor told me to start killing people.  Not in those exact words, she said I had to reduce the stress in my life.

Same thing.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #121 on: June 08, 2012, 06:29:00 PM »
I don't eat candy bars and I'm tempted to go buy a bunch of giant Snickers. 

Call me cynical but I don't believe the people behind all this healthy eating really care what we eat -- they just like telling others what to do.

I don't think people are fat because they eat candy bars.  They're fat because they don't get any exercise and I don't mean gym membership exercise.  I mean they aren't outside mowing the lawn or playing catch with the kids or trimming the shrubs. IMHO--that's what I see in my own family.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

charlesoakwood

« Reply #122 on: June 08, 2012, 06:44:34 PM »

It takes corporate a long period of time to get from should we to
the announcement that it's a done deal.  If they were still in the
planning phase they would say forgetaboutit.

Mars with the smaller candy, Ford with its migetidiot cars (and no
more Grand Marquis), McDonalds phasing out the kiddy meals and
playpens planned for the worst (reelection) and implemented them.
Now we are stuck with a lesser world unless Romney goes full bore
and assures (by deed) corporates and independents he is on their
side.  Pray for Romney.

Offline EW1(SG)

• Who? Me?
    • EW1's Intercept Log
« Reply #123 on: June 09, 2012, 07:02:29 AM »
I don't eat candy bars and I'm tempted to go buy a bunch of giant Snickers. 

Call me cynical but I don't believe the people behind all this healthy eating really care what we eat -- they just like telling others what to do.

I don't think people are fat because they eat candy bars.  They're fat because they don't get any exercise and I don't mean gym membership exercise.  I mean they aren't outside mowing the lawn or playing catch with the kids or trimming the shrubs. IMHO--that's what I see in my own family.

The liking to tell other people what to do is a far greater factor in "federal nutrition guidelines" than is scientific knowledge.

Take salt, or "sodium" if you prefer.  An absolutely essential component of our diet, and we have been harangued to consume less for decades, even knowing that half the population will have an increase in their blood pressure if they do so.

And that effect can change as people age~so somebody who used to benefit from a moderate sodium intake could benefit later from a reduced intake, or vice versa.

So, the moral of the story is, if you are going to eat concrete, you'd best do it before it sets, and I would recommend some fiber with that.  Other than that, I don't have any real dietary recommendations that make sense for you...but I know a lot about what I need to eat to keep ME healthy.
My doctor told me to start killing people.  Not in those exact words, she said I had to reduce the stress in my life.

Same thing.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #124 on: August 10, 2012, 11:45:34 AM »
Hanes Comfort Fit Men's tagless briefs.

I've worn the same brand underwear for well over a decade. On things like that, when I find something I like, I don't experiment with alternatives. I picked up a couple packs of these briefs a couple weeks ago, and they're different. I have old pairs to compare, and the differences are obvious.

The fabric is thinner and more brittle. I don't know if they changed the cotton, the weave, the thread thickness, the blend, or what, but this brand used to be a very soft supple cotton blend, and now the fabric is more coarse and thin.

Also, the waistband used to be about an inch wide. Now it is about a 1/2 inch to 3/5 inch. So not only does every pair have elastic that is less wide, the material needed to wrap around the elastic to sew it into the waistband is also consequently less.

Do I like them less? Yes, nominally so. Once they're on, I forget about it, but putting them on doesn't feel the same. It's not a deal-breaker, but I'm reminded every time I put on a pair that I'm getting less product for more money. If the way they are now was what people wanted to own, they wouldn't ever have made them the old way. This is purely an answer to declining consumer purchasing power. The Hanes company understands that in regard to underwear, men are willing to settle for less product at a steady price rather than spend more money for the same thing.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #125 on: August 10, 2012, 01:00:07 PM »
Women's Gold Toe cotton socks are not the same now either, and for the same reasons I suppose; they're thinner and the foot itself stretches out after a few washings.

If you can do so, I suggest some stashing of the socks/underwear/undershirts too, because the quality will only get worse.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #126 on: August 10, 2012, 03:56:56 PM »
The Hanes company understands that in regard to underwear, men are willing to settle for less product at a steady price rather than spend more money for the same thing.

Ii don't know if that is so much an understanding as it is a calculation. What I do know is that those "willing to settle" always end up getting shorted - on both points.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #127 on: September 19, 2012, 11:50:27 AM »
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #128 on: September 19, 2012, 12:29:21 PM »
Get your bulk orders of freeze-dried in!

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/prepare-15-food-price-surge-rabobank-warns

thanks for the reminder.  I'd heard this on the radio but with my husband in the hospital I hadn't got to place an order. It's on my list for this afternoon.  With two adult kids moved back home I never feel like I have enough food stocked up.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

RickZ

« Reply #129 on: October 18, 2012, 10:22:13 AM »
Food for thought (pun intended).

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/not-just-gas-check-out-the-drastic-price-increases-on-these-21-everyday-items/

Not Just Gas! Check Out the Drastic Price Increases on These 21 Everyday Items

Tuesday’s presidential debate touched on some massive economic issues that are affecting all Americans. The immense increase in gas prices was a crucial part of the discussion, but have other everyday products seen a drastic increased in price over the same time period?  According to Blaze research on data provided by the the Bureau of Labor Statistics* gas prices are not alone in skyrocketing over the last decade.  Wait till you see chocolate chip cookies!

Gasoline [all types]

2002 Average – $1.44
 2012  Average- $3.73
 Percent Increase:

158%

The other 20 are at the link.  Forget the chocolate chip cookies (you know what I mean), check out the margarine tub price %age increase.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 10:38:20 AM by RickZ »

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #130 on: October 18, 2012, 10:31:19 AM »
Dang!  Looking at that steak made me hungry.

Amazing -- NOT -- that food and fuel is not counted in the Consumer Price Index calculations for inflation.  Anybody who hits the grocery stores on a regular basis can tell you everything is more expensive -- okay, except for strawberries.  I cannot nevermind chocolate chip cookies (Gunsmith is a cookie monster) and the cookies have shrunk, there are less of them in the package and the price is up by more than a third.

And an added "benefit" is as the prices go up, so do the amount of sales taxes paid.

And Obongo's blather during the debate on gas prices just goes to show how truly moronic he is.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #131 on: October 18, 2012, 12:12:29 PM »
Remember backm in the Bush years people's big gripe was the high cost of milk, yup evil Georgie Bush killin' us and endangering our kids cause milk is so expensive.

Umm, a gallon of milk, a product still rising in price, is still cheaper than a gallon of gas!

We should be beating the living crap out of Obama 24/7/365 on gas and food!

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #132 on: October 18, 2012, 12:15:35 PM »
Steak?! Who the heck can afford steak?!!

As for me - I'm lusting after that gas can. Have any of you purchased a portable gas can lately? The insanity that they imposed on fuel dispensing nozzles (supposedly zero emission but in truth zero usefulness nozzles) has now been inflicted on gas cans. Now they have these snouts that are impossible to pour from. You're required to hold the handle with one hand, tip the can with your other hand and hold the nozzle open with your third hand.

no wait...

charlesoakwood

« Reply #133 on: October 18, 2012, 12:17:48 PM »

Good shopping could find canned goods from .50 to .79 NOW the minimum is .79 with over $1.00 is common.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #134 on: October 18, 2012, 12:35:39 PM »

Good shopping could find canned goods from .50 to .79 NOW the minimum is .79 with over $1.00 is common.

Yep.  And sometimes there was a 3/1.00 sale.  I don't buy canned goods much these days---I usually buy dry beans or frozen vegetables.  However, a few weeks ago I went shopping to buy something for the local food pantry.  I had a budget to stick to and wanted to really maximize what I gave.  I was shocked at the price of canned goods. 

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #135 on: October 18, 2012, 02:52:24 PM »
Remember, the goobermint says that unless you drive or buy food there is NO inflation?  Now, dontchya just feel so much better?!

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #136 on: October 18, 2012, 05:15:14 PM »
Steak?! Who the heck can afford steak?!!

As for me - I'm lusting after that gas can. Have any of you purchased a portable gas can lately? The insanity that they imposed on fuel dispensing nozzles (supposedly zero emission but in truth zero usefulness nozzles) has now been inflicted on gas cans. Now they have these snouts that are impossible to pour from. You're required to hold the handle with one hand, tip the can with your other hand and hold the nozzle open with your third hand.

no wait...

I go for used ones at garage sales.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #137 on: October 18, 2012, 05:44:42 PM »

JF, you're a genius.  In Wal Mart the other day, $16., no way.  I'm saved.

Soup, I think Glock has a fix for those special cans.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #138 on: October 18, 2012, 05:46:33 PM »
Actually I have a nice (and growing) collection of containers that I regularly find on the roadside  ;D

RickZ

« Reply #139 on: October 21, 2012, 06:42:45 AM »
This may not be food inflation/smaller packaging per se, but it still got my attention -- in a negative way.

Saturday, I bought some Ball Park Angus hot dogs on sale for $3.99 (on friggin' sale, mind you).  I decided to look at the hot dog buns.  For a package of 8, maybe a pound, maybe 12 oz., the price was $3.69.  A package of hot dog buns is only $.30 cheaper than a pound of (supposed) meat!  Needless to say, now you know why I use one slice of bread for a hot dog bun, placing the dog at an angle and folding the bread over it, like a misshapen taco.  I am not going to pay that price for a special bread just to hold a hot dog.  Just won't do it.  Besides, I can use the bread for other things, and it was 'only' $2.50 for 24 oz.