Author Topic: Food and or cooking thread  (Read 17895 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Food and or cooking thread
« on: March 30, 2011, 05:01:29 PM »
 I just wanted to throw this out there to see if there is any interest in this sort of thing. Since were from all over the country and different back grounds it could be informative and fun.Just as a break from politics.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Food and or cooking thread
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 06:05:58 PM »
Moving to "Member News".  Putting a sticky up in "General" "Newbie Central" that such a thread exists - "register and join in!"

Got it.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 06:21:26 PM by Pandora »
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 06:07:31 PM »
 ::thinking::  ::oldman:: ::hysterical:: ::exitstageleft::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 06:08:23 PM »
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 06:22:12 PM »
 ::deercorn::
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 06:24:29 PM »
Want to discuss tripe recipes (cow-stomach lining)?  Or sufrite (lungs)?

Or that I see it as a bit weird that some folks think pork neck bones are exotic?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 06:33:11 PM »

Or that I see it as a bit weird that some folks think pork neck bones are exotic?

I had tripe the other night. Who told you?
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 06:53:40 PM »
 ::lalanotlistening:: Okay, won't be contributing anything about tripe.

But I can tell you what I'm doing tonight to use up yet another butternut squash.  I still have about 7 left from last fall.

I made a dough -- like a biscuit dough--rolled out to a circle on a pizza pan.  I topped it with slices of onions, cooked sausage (or not some here don't like sausage -- some other meat would work too), cooked chunks of squash then sprinkle cheddar all over it.  Cook at 400 till browned on edges.  If I have it I might put a little olive oil on it. 
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 07:07:36 PM »

But I can tell you what I'm doing tonight to use up yet another butternut squash.  I still have about 7 left from last fall.

I made a dough -- like a biscuit dough--rolled out to a circle on a pizza pan.  I topped it with slices of onions, cooked sausage (or not some here don't like sausage -- some other meat would work too), cooked chunks of squash then sprinkle cheddar all over it.  Cook at 400 till browned on edges.  If I have it I might put a little olive oil on it. 

I eat it once in a while just to remind myself who I am and where I came from. Poverty should never be forgotten.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 07:08:05 PM »
Well as for me...tonight... we're taking Mrs. IDP out for her birthday dinner. She's been wanting Olive garden, so there ya have it. My contribution is a storebought angelfood cake (her fave), some coolwhip (how she likes it) and dousing some strawberries with tons o' sugar.

And me n' the boys bought the family tickets to see "Jesus Christ Superstar" at the Chanhassen Dinner Theater in a couple weeks.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 07:09:25 PM »
...But I can tell you what I'm doing tonight to use up yet another butternut squash....

Not sure if I've ever had butternut squash. We always had acorn squash when I was growing up, so when I get a hankering', that's what I aim for. I'm pretty much the only one in the fam who likes it though.

What's butternut like in comparison to acorn?

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 07:11:50 PM »

I had tripe the other night. Who told you?

A liddle birdie.  ::angel::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 07:14:34 PM »

I eat it once in a while just to remind myself who I am and where I came from. Poverty should never be forgotten.

That doesn't sound like poverty food to me; sounds like it would be very good.

I'm not a big squash eater either; Mom never made it and I haven't developed the taste on my own.  Neighbor says acorn squash is really good.

I made three big Neese's sausage and bread-stuffed chicken breasts last night, so tonight we're eating the other one and a half.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 07:22:04 PM »
How about a food/cooking category?

Not that I'll have much to contribute, although I have started cooking more in the last six months or so, after decades of living on fast food and TV dinners.

I'm a little proud of the fact that my freezer is now full of plastic containers of leftovers instead of TV dinners.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 07:28:06 PM »
How about a food/cooking category?

Not that I'll have much to contribute, although I have started cooking more in the last six months or so, after decades of living on fast food and TV dinners.

I'm a little proud of the fact that my freezer is now full of plastic containers of leftovers instead of TV dinners.

I was thinking the same thing. Wanna start a poll?

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 07:29:23 PM »
Not a bad idea.  I suggest we see how well the thread does and go from there.

So, what did you cook?

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 07:31:45 PM »

I think butternut is a bit stronger "squashy" tasting.  I like acorn in the recipe I posted but ran out of those a while ago and was left with a bunch of butternut. I use butternut like pumpkin in pies, breads and muffins and no one realizes it's not pumpkin. One decent sized butternut makes a lot of puree considering a lot of recipes for pumpkin bread etc use only a cup per loaf.  I toast the squash seeds in the oven with a little salt.  The kids like them as a snack or I toss them on salads.  I find them pretty easy to grow and they keep longer than the acorn.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 07:39:07 PM »

I think butternut is a bit stronger "squashy" tasting.  I like acorn in the recipe I posted but ran out of those a while ago and was left with a bunch of butternut. I use butternut like pumpkin in pies, breads and muffins and no one realizes it's not pumpkin. One decent sized butternut makes a lot of puree considering a lot of recipes for pumpkin bread etc use only a cup per loaf.  I toast the squash seeds in the oven with a little salt.  The kids like them as a snack or I toss them on salads.  I find them pretty easy to grow and they keep longer than the acorn.

We like Butter nut and Acorn squash as well as most other veggies. We like to peal and cut into chunks as close to the same size as possible and then throw it all in a bowl and just add salt pepper and paprika(smoked) and olive oil and mix it all up and spread on a half sheet baking pan and blast it in the oven at about 400 and take it out when the edges are browning up.

Quick and easy.I use it as a side dish with steak or chicken.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2011, 07:40:22 PM »
I'm a Cajun foodie that loves cook'n off the land.
It's only weird until you try it and first bites don't count!!!!! ::beertoast::
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2011, 07:42:41 PM »

With brown suger and cayenne?
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow