Author Topic: Target audience fail  (Read 1306 times)

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
Target audience fail
« on: February 20, 2013, 08:18:19 AM »
Admittedly, I haven't watched this crap since (with the rest of 'entertainment') the personalities got less and less likable, but they still always knew who buttered their bread.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Linda McMahon, blaming others for her failed bid, perhaps? 

Either way, epic fail.   ::curtsy4::

Offline pisskop

• Bump me, America!
Re: Target audience fail
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 08:41:36 AM »
I sure didn't want her running the state.  Her campaign made her so unlikeable I kept the emcumbent.  Still, I wonder if it would have been better voting for her. . .
[MANNERISM_THREAD:lurk]

Today's ??? (_01OCT13_):

Quote from: midcan5;1330627
'Conservative' in America has come to be taken over by 'power.'

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 11:01:20 AM »
The WWE has entered the Tea Party mockery game with character Jack Swagger and his villainous “Real American” manager Zeb Colter, generating outcry from conservative fans of the pro-wrestling organization.

Isn't that an oxymoron? No one with half a brain actually watches that crap, do they?
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 11:12:52 AM »
 ::rolllaughing::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 11:25:36 AM »
Why watch guys pretend to beat the crap out of each other when you can watch the real thing at a high level of martial arts skill in the UFC?
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 11:33:03 AM »
I always thought it attracted kind of the same audience of NASCAR, myself.  At least enough to always know USA #1...Soviet Union or Islamic Craphole /spit.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 03:57:09 PM »
Personally I've never understood how this stuff has ever been popular. It's the kind of stuff a bunch of hipsters would indulge in ironically. It's over the top cheesy theatrics.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 04:28:14 PM »
Don't be too hard on the NASCAR and WWE crowd.....Most vote conservative.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 06:48:56 PM »

Do they have any idea why?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 08:50:11 PM »

Do they have any idea why?

Sure....god, guns and guts

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 09:07:02 PM »

You pay $80 a seat and go to the theater and willingly suspend your disbelief to be entertained, why should it be any different for WWE if that is what floats your boat? Maybe they think its real. Who knows? Who Cares? 

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 09:38:45 PM »

You pay $80 a seat and go to the theater and willingly suspend your disbelief to be entertained, why should it be any different for WWE if that is what floats your boat? Maybe they think its real. Who knows? Who Cares? 

Point taken. People probably look funny at me standing on the front of my boat fishing when they realize how much all the crap costs.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 09:46:50 PM »

Point taken. People probably look funny at me standing on the front of my boat fishing when they realize how much all the crap costs.

We all need a release.....especially in these times. My tournament season starts soon and I swear, it is keeping me going today.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 08:21:48 AM »
Some us were weaned on wrestling, from a better day

Verne Gagne vs Baron Von Raschke

When the USA was number 1 and the hated Germans, even if mild mannered guys named Jim, from Omaha  ;) knew their place.

::USA::

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 08:53:33 AM »
I used to be WAY into it when I was a teenager, but I never got into Vern Gagne's AWA. When I was a teenager, cable TV was just burgeoning, so it was the National Wrestling Alliance's Georgia Championship Wrestling on Ted Turner's WTBS SuperStation for me.

Dusty Rhodes, Stan Hansen, Abdullah the Butcher, Cyclone Negro [imagine THAT today?], Tony Atlas, Mr. Wrestling #1 & #2, Ric Flair, Ole Anderson, Ricky Steamboat, Tommy Rich, Wahoo McDaniel.... Not sure who I'm forgetting. Gordon Solie was their diminutive announcer.

Then when cable REALLY began to take off, once per month a station that was dark almost all the time would light up on a Friday night from Madison Square Garden - the World Wide Wrestling Federation (WWWF, later to become WWF, and then WWE). Vince McMahon's entry into wrestling promotion reached into my living room with live events - not the TV studio audience stuff I was used to. That's when I REALLY got into it for a couple years.

Andre the Giant, Superstar Billy Graham, Chief Jay Strongbow, Larry Zbysko, Bruno Sammartino, Lou Albano, Gorilla Monsoon, Butcher Vachon, Ivan Putski....

I used to buy the magazines and everything. Way into it. But it was a phase that didn't last beyond my teens. By the time McMahon took over the market with "Wrestlemania" and Hulk Hogan, I was long over it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 08:56:51 AM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 09:51:15 AM »
We didn't have cable in the 70's.  AWA, once a week, was it.  I do remember Madison Square Garden channel when dad got the Big Dish.  Yes, I watched the early days of the WWF on that, also.  By then the WWF had taken over the Iowa/Illinois market from the AWA, so tuning in MSG was like watching the  matches you had to pay for, for free.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 09:55:11 AM »
My grampa loved 'rasslin and would have it on when us kids would come to spend the weekend. Even as a 6yo (whose sense of reality can vary from moment to moment) I saw wrestling and instantly said, "that's fake!". So I managed to miss out on all the fun.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 01:13:14 PM »
One more thing about the older generations.  If you're a mild mannered guy from Omaha named Jim Rashke, and you're tasked to play an evil Nazi, you don't go off and right away get

busted for pot

::curtsy4::  What a dumbass.

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 11:41:27 PM »
Fond memory of my grandpa wrestling with me after watching "Bigtime wrestling!"  He is gone now, but those memories will last my lifetime.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ