Author Topic: Big Brother, Hollywood, ISPs & Lawyers Team Up Against Copyright File Sharing  (Read 934 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
http://www.myfoxny.com/story/21347184/net-providers-begin-warning-of-illegal-downloads

I bet this system will be high on many a jammy-wearing hackers To Do list.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
coughusenetcough

The real hard core types are on usenet.  The welfare mom who downloaded a few songs, and has no computer savy, is on file sharing networks.  She's the one destroyed by these crackdowns, not the hard core collectors. 

Obama's America has instilled a sense of entitlement in the younger generation.  Yes, I've partaken, but I also make sure I keep buying, no matter how much (mostly collectible and out of print) stuff I've scarfed up.  I don't think Obama target voter base has such morals.  Hollywood.  You did build that.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
What little pittance I could earn from residual sales of my 2 CDs is stolen from me by digital theft, so I am not unsympathetic to efforts to stop it.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Hollywood.  You did build that.

The irony.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
I think one way the corporations have to give is to keep their products in print.  With digital storage and delivery, there's no excuse for anything going out of print. 

Examples.  Small Artist who never signed Big Label contract has all his stuff available on his website.  It will always be there.  Maybe he's even instituted digital delivery, so as to never need to print CD's.  For $11.99 you can get the latest Neal Morse release on lossless filess.  He will always have control of his product.  Anyone making that product available on a "blogspot" can be properly shamed into removing it.  I've seen it happen.

Big Artist signed Big Label deal in the 1970's and released many albums.  A couple have been re-released on CD, most have not been, in America.  All were re-released in limited quantities in Japan, however.  A&M to this day, despite pleading by Rick Wakeman still refuses to make his 70's stuff available, as they own the rights.  Mr. Rick Wakeman Fan (me) has bought 2 on Russian bootlegs (the same Russian label I bought CD versions of the 2 Morrisonless Doors albums) of those Japanese releases and has downloaded the rest, with no apologies.  There is no excuse for A&M not even releasing these to an Amazon, for sale, as MP3's.  None.

Nothing ever goes out of print, anymore, whether artists or labels want it to or not.  That genie is out of the bottle.  It's time labels and artists take away that excuse for downloading (and buying bootlegs).

Heh, reading that story is another justification in the comments, artist themselves have nurtured.  I won't pay $20 for Bruce Springsteen when I can just take his stuff and give my money to someone more deserving.  Bruce Springsteen.  You did build that.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
In the early '90's when the Interweb truly came into its own I started collecting bootlegs via both file-sharing and special interest group discussion sites. I didn't think much about the royalties or digital rights - the boots were there for the taking and I took what I considered to be otherwise unavailable recordings of artists that I supported.

Later when several of those recordings were marketed I purchased copies because that was the right thing to do (getting lossless copies didn't hurt either). If I didn't GAS about the artist I wouldn't have taken the time and effort to spread them.

I guess part of that came from my own role in music. I was always a practitioner - not an artist. I had a role in writing some originals (as a contributor not the originator). We always gave away our stuff because we were focused on the performance rather than the recordings. What we sold was a slightly more intangible interlude or experience instead of a static recording. To this day I have zero control over anything we recorded.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
You know who else likes to bootleg like demons?  The Asians - Philipines, Singapore, (Hong Kong pre-Chi-Com takeover anyway), S.Korea...

Is Big Entertainment going to be lobbying Big Government to go after them?   ::saywhat::

What are they gonna do, threaten armed invasion?   ::)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
The Dutch are the biggest bootleggers of music and video, by far.  A society that delivers high speed internet for "free" has created such.  As a Porcupine Tree fan I have them liked on Facebook.  Steven Wilson just posted how an early review version of his CD got out on the internet.  I guarantee, it was someone Dutch that did that.

Asians buy cheap CD's/DVD's on the street.  Volume wise, the Dutch rule all.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
What the Asians do is create counterfeit product and sell it retail as if it were the real thing. Theft just the same.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
Yes, I know that, but volume wise, the street bootlegger is small potatoes next to what can be done through file sharing.

Pirated CD's on a Manila street corner didn't kill record companies.  The internet did.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
Yes, I know that, but volume wise, the street bootlegger is small potatoes next to what can be done through file sharing.

Pirated CD's on a Manila street corner didn't kill record companies.  The internet did.

Yup.

- Thomas Jefferson