Author Topic: Took the wife.  (Read 1818 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Took the wife.
« on: February 21, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »
Took the wife for her concealed carry class and next week to apply for her Permit.I'm very proud of her to take kind of steps she took and was happy to do it. The time table is 8weeks to get it when it used to take 10 days if you went to Palm beach for it,if you Mail to the capital for it it will be 9 months.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

Re: Took the wife.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 08:37:42 PM »

Sounds about right. That hard core Republican governor is going to make sure everything is correct.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 09:50:52 PM »
Great job! Wish I could talk my wife into it. She thinks it's a waste of money.... ::bashing::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 12:18:37 AM »
Wish I could talk to my wife about guns.  She is freaked out by them.
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 08:40:54 AM »
Wish I could talk to my wife about guns.  She is freaked out by them.

You have my sympathy. Maybe get a .22 pistol to get her started. I've known a few women, once they learn (become competent), they really enjoy it.

My wife will shoot guns occasionally, even though it's been a while.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 09:01:07 AM »
Wish I could talk to my wife about guns.  She is freaked out by them.

Had a friend whose wife was the same way. Its really a matter of exposure.  We invited them up to my land and while we were there just asked if tey would like to try shooting. Wife was given the option to opt out - husband was going to do it without her.  She knows me and trust me , so she decided to go. I  explained the rules for taking a gun from someone else,  and explained range safety protocol  and used it  - creating a  firing line with a log, using a flag to indicate range in use, etc. - she even said she was "relieved" I was doing that  ( it was mostly because her 17 year nephew from France was along)    because she was afraid we were just going to be a bunch of "Yahoos" shooting into the air. She handled the 22 in the house, and got used to seeing it and touching it.

Outside  I got her to fire the .22 rifle, and she even tried the AR.  After all, they weren't "hers"  - Then her husband started doing ride along with police,  and got his CC, and took her to a couple gun shows.  OF course, having her read the news  each day helped as well.  Once she understands the police think their job is showing up to draw the chalk outline,  and that if she is alone, only she will be able to save herself,  it gets easier.

A lot of people are "scared of guns" because they were indoctrinated in a public school,  saw their friends reprimanded for making guns with their fingers and drawing pictures etc, and if they had liberal parents that message was reinforced at home. Are you scared of my drill? The Table Saw?  The chain saw? Guns are tools, made for a specific purpose,  and do a job you hope you never have to do, but the choice isn't up to you. Making her aware of her indoctrination  and then having her handle a weapon in a "safe, comfortable and controlled " environment will take a lot of the fear out of it.  With SoCal being the way it is now, the need for one is paramount.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 10:02:01 AM »
The slow way is the safe way.  But try to speed it up as best you can (time is only getting shorter!).   ::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 07:36:40 PM »
The slow way is the safe way.  But try to speed it up as best you can (time is only getting shorter!).   ::thumbsup::

I started talking about it a good while ago and she gave in and we tried a .22 for a couple of time and at first I did all the loading and next thing I know she was loading on her own. The next time I went she was using the .22 and I left my .40 next to her for me toy use and one in a while she would look at it till she picked it up and looked at me and I went over put one in the chamber and had her put her hands over mine so she could feel it go off and she then put two clips down range on her own.

Last time we went out she used two different 9mm to try to find her a load she would be happy with and she noticed that all the booths were filled with couples of all ages and she decided it was something we could do as a couple and that was it.

Next is the hunt for a gun she's happy with and comfortable holding(seems to be a Bersa Thunder)She tried one of those cute tiny .380 and she didn't like that at all it was too small and the sights are invisible and she wants something a little bigger framed.

I don't care what she wants as long as she's happy with it and keeps going to the range.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 11:55:31 AM »

I started talking about it a good while ago and she gave in and we tried a .22 for a couple of time and at first I did all the loading and next thing I know she was loading on her own. The next time I went she was using the .22 and I left my .40 next to her for me toy use and one in a while she would look at it till she picked it up and looked at me and I went over put one in the chamber and had her put her hands over mine so she could feel it go off and she then put two clips down range on her own.

Last time we went out she used two different 9mm to try to find her a load she would be happy with and she noticed that all the booths were filled with couples of all ages and she decided it was something we could do as a couple and that was it.

Next is the hunt for a gun she's happy with and comfortable holding(seems to be a Bersa Thunder)She tried one of those cute tiny .380 and she didn't like that at all it was too small and the sights are invisible and she wants something a little bigger framed.

I don't care what she wants as long as she's happy with it and keeps going to the range.

Fabulous!   ::thumbsup::

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 06:14:40 PM »
Nice work. Yeah I'm not too keen on those tiny .380s either. The .380 can be a bit snappy since it's a direct blowback, and in a small lightweight gun I could see it being unpleasant for most women. Plus on those small pistols it's pretty easy for part of your hand to bulge up and get bit by the slide. Been there, done that.

The Bersa Thunder 380 is about the ideal size for a .380 in my opinion. Can't go wrong with that one.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 06:43:26 AM »
Nice work. Yeah I'm not too keen on those tiny .380s either. The .380 can be a bit snappy since it's a direct blowback, and in a small lightweight gun I could see it being unpleasant for most women. Plus on those small pistols it's pretty easy for part of your hand to bulge up and get bit by the slide. Been there, done that.

The Bersa Thunder 380 is about the ideal size for a .380 in my opinion. Can't go wrong with that one.

Plus, no slide bite. . .unless you got big chubby green giant hands!