Author Topic: Chicken With Peanuts  (Read 1933 times)

RickZ

Chicken With Peanuts
« on: March 02, 2013, 04:38:57 PM »
Of late, I don't go out too often or order delivery much.  I do like Chinese (there are 6 or 7 within a 10 block area), but it always seems way too heavy or gloppy.  In the past, there was a hole-in-the-wall that had a wonderful lunch special, Chicken with Peanuts, an egg roll or a soup (wonton/egg drop/hot & sour), for $3.70 (this was back in the mid 90's).  An ice cream scoop of white rice and one of those small oval plates about 2/3 full with one of the limited main courses.  Really was a delightful and cheap lunch.  The third ownership change also changed the ingredients in dishes.  They started putting green pepper in the Chicken with Peanuts, so I stopped ordering it.  But I had a craving for it. 

The dish is small pieces of boneless chicken breaded and fried.  Carrots, celery, water chestnuts and peanuts make up the other ingredients.  It's served with a dark sauce, soy and other things, plus some heat.  I really like the dish.  So today I made my version.  I'm not going to lie, the chicken was labor intensive and time consuming.  But in the end, it was worth it.

Here's the list:

Almost a pound of carrots, cut into odd shapes (I used a 1 lb. bag less one carrot)
2 ribs of celery, sliced on the bias
1 can whole water chestnuts, drained and quartered on the flat side
1/2 cup shelled and deskinned peanuts
1 orange, zest reserved and juiced/strained
1 small hot chili, halved and cut into half moons
1 dried Thai bird chili, crushed
1 3 inch finger of ginger, minced, about 2 TBS
5-6 cloves of garlic, minced, about 1 TBS
(1/2 red pepper, cut into 1/2 inch or so pieces; I had it in the fridge so I threw it in, but normally I would not use pepper)
Flour
Panko bread crumbs
Salt
Black pepper
White pepper
Oil for shallow frying
Peanut oil
1 lb. boneless chicken breasts
3 egg whites

The sauce:

Juice of one orange
Hoi-sin sauce, about 3-4 TBS, more if you really like hoi-sin like I do
Soy sauce, about 1-2 TBS
Garlic chili sauce, about 2-3 TBS
Teriyaki sauce, about 2 TBS
Sriracha sauce, about 1 tsp
Rice wine vinegar, splash
Sesame oil, drizzle
A few drops of hot chili oil

Obviously, you can use whatever you like, but those are what I used and they can be adjusted to taste.  You want about a cup to a cup and a half of sauce.

In a dredging bowl, add flour, salt and black pepper.  Stir to mix.

In another shallow bowl, beat the egg whites with a dash of white pepper.  Beating it will break up any strands.

For the chicken, cut into small pieces, about 1/2 inch.  In batches, dunk in the egg white then add to the flour and coat.  Place on a rack, and continue until all the chicken is coated.  Let the chicken sit for about 15 minutes to get tacky again.  Removing some of the flour, add Panko bread crumbs.  Recoat.  Immediately add to a pan with enough oil for shallow frying.  Cook until well golden, place on a new rack and let drain.  Continue until all the chicken is done.

Heat the wok.

Add a small amount of peanut oil and swirl (I used less than 2 tsp).  Add the ginger, garlic and dried chili and saute for about a minute or two.  Add the carrots, cooking for a little while, stirring often.  Then add the celery (and the red pepper).  Cook for another few minutes.  Add the water chestnuts, peanuts and hot pepper.  Cook until thoroughly warmed through.  Pour in the sauce and stir to coat the vegetables.  Add the chicken and continue to toss until warmed through.  Turn off heat and add orange zest.  Stir to mix.  Serve immediately with white rice.

I had two healthy portions for supper, with enough leftovers for maybe 3 more servings.  Sometimes I surprise the shyt out of myself.  This was one of those times.  Well worth the effort.

A Chinese feast if there ever was one.  And did I mention there's leftovers?

Offline Lisa in PA

• Likes the place
Re: Chicken With Peanuts
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 10:36:04 AM »
Just reading that reminds me how lazy I have become when it comes to cooking.  Glad all that work paid off for you!   ::whoohoo::  Chinese food is the thing I have the hardest time trying to replicate at home.  My daughter loves sushi, (Japanese, I know) and I broke down and helped her make it a few weeks ago.  Great learning experience.

RickZ

Re: Chicken With Peanuts
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 03:24:38 PM »
Lisa, I have the time now, so cooking time consuming things, like stocks from scratch, are now normal.  As far as Chinese cooking goes, there are very few rules.  One rule, though, is you need a good heavy wok.  I've had thinner, cheaper ones in the past (3 of them); you just can't get the heat high enough without scorching the wok.  The other 'rule' is to have access to Chinese bottled sauces, not the stuff you find in the grocery store.

I find the store sauces, of any flavor, pretty bland.  So I go to an Asian grocery store near me.  The sauce aisles are, how to put it, Disneyland to me.  I can wander up and down those relatively small in length aisles (it is a small store), but still get lost.  A lot of the labels I cannot read, so I go by shelf location to give me an idea what a particular content might be.  You just have to find the flavor profiles you like.  For example, I love good hoi-sin sauce.  I used it in almost all of what I stir frys, along with a varying amount of other things.  Chinese cooking is like any other cooking, you have to have a stocked pantry, and in this case it means having some basic sauces:  A good soy or two (I keep four on hand), a thick teriyaki (unlike the watery grocery store stuff), sriracha (a chili sauce with heat and flavor), garlic chili paste, fish sauce, and oyster sauce.  After that, it's what you like.  I love hoi-sin.  I buy a brand that is the consistency of super thick apple butter.  The grocery store brand (Ho-Kee?) is so flavorless and thin in comparison.  I'll occasionally buy some black bean sauce, along with a can of fermented black beans.  That's really good with chicken.  But once you find the flavor profile you like, you can adjust it to make anything.  That dish above, for example, is not altered from a cookbook or a tv show, comes just from my memory.  The thing I like about stir fry is that you can cook like it's a stew or hash:  Leftovers.  The only things I always add to the wok are minced garlic and ginger.  Fresh ginger is essential, and good for you.  I also have a large bag of the dried Thai bird chilies; the bag lasts about 5-8 years.  So that's the base for any stir fry.  Then comes whatever you want, whatever you like.  I once took a recipe's plum sauce, altered it by adding fresh plums and other things, then used that sauce for my shrimp-asparagus-coconut-ginger-mango stir fry.  Again, no recipe, just the flavor profiles I like with the sauce, and ingredients I like to eat, which can make a family happy.  The food rules are there are no rules.  So don't be afraid.  You don't have to make something you order from Chinese take-out.  Well, you can as I did, but you don't have to.  I've made my own versions of chicken with cashews, chicken with black bean sauce, beef with broccoli and onions, pork with just about anything, etc.  Next up is making egg foo yung.  There is more prep time to Chinese cooking, but the cooking itself is quick.  When you make your own homemade Chinese, you'll soon realize how gloppy the take-out stuff is.  Like any home cooking versus restaurant cooking, you'll control the content, which is always a good thing.

Good luck.